Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbors Children
ABCDaycareMN 11:24 AM 01-16-2013
I have the pleasure to have my neighbors kids today (their provider is having surgery). They are very good when here, they are horrible when their parents are around....

I guess I don't understand how different 2 kids can be during the day opposed to in the evenings and on the weekends when they are with their parents.

Is this normal for kids to basically to have 2 different personalities.
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 01-16-2013
Yes. 100% normal. In a course I took in college, the general consensus as to why children are better behaved for others vs parents is because the rules and expectations we have for children are much clearer and much more balck and white. Where as a parent has to wear a million hats and grays up the rules and expectations on a daily basis.

Not saying that is ok but as a parent we all know how something flys one day and then isn't ok the next. Depends on the circumstances and the situation. Daycare has the same routine and the same expectations everyday.

A good way to really understand this is to let the DCK do something you normally NEVER allow them to do. Suddenly that is permission to always do it so we usually just try to keep things the same every day so the children behave everyday....kwim?
LoraJenkins 12:34 PM 01-16-2013
TOTALLY AGREE!

I have 1 four year old DCB who will NOT nap for his parent at home. But here I never have an issue. He knows that after lunch we brush our teeth, read a story and then nap. Same routine everyday. No reason to argue, cry, etc.... he is going to lay down here no way around it. At home he has NO set schedule or rules. His parents pretty much let him run the house...so why not nap time too??? It is SO funny to me.how the parent just don't get it.
grandmom 02:33 PM 01-16-2013
Like night and day. They are so very different the moment they realize it's their mom walking in the door.
ABCDaycareMN 02:49 PM 01-16-2013
Oh boy, complete meltdown at pick up!

Dcb - "I don't want to leave. I don't want to put my boots on, I don't want to put my coat on.

Dcd - "I'll leave you here then"

Dcb - "noooooo!!!"

Dcd - "boots are on the wrong feet"

Dcb - "I don't care, (scream cry scream cry)!!!"

And repeat!!!

At least it was only 1 day!
LK5kids 03:23 PM 01-16-2013
I also always say what behaviors push a parents buttons rarely affects me. Now my own kids always knew how to push my buttons!
Tags:neighbor issue, neighbors
Reply Up