Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When The Big Bad Inspections Happen....
Josiegirl 01:24 PM 08-04-2013
What are the finer points I might be missing? I have to schedule an inspection in the next month or so to maintain my STARS and I really don't want to. I think in the 30+ years I've been doing this, they've come 3x. And I've heard our newest licensor is a bear.
So any hints or advice would be very much appreciated!
Heidi 04:33 PM 08-04-2013
I always get nailed on paperwork. Check every document. Are they signed, completely filled out?

Have you had all your inspections done? Fire drills, water samples, dog rabies shot, insurance papers, vehicle inspections, driver's records, training records, attendance records.

Don't know what applies where you are, but those are all the things I just went through to be prepared for my next unannounced visit.

I'd take a quick look through all your drawers, make sure your family didn't throw a knife or a thumbtack or something crazy in a "junk" drawer that's not locked.

And, while the inspector is there, when all else fails, wash hands. Wash your hands, wash the kids' hands, wash the dogs hands...lol
Familycare71 06:20 PM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I always get nailed on paperwork. Check every document. Are they signed, completely filled out?

Have you had all your inspections done? Fire drills, water samples, dog rabies shot, insurance papers, vehicle inspections, driver's records, training records, attendance records.

Don't know what applies where you are, but those are all the things I just went through to be prepared for my next unannounced visit.

I'd take a quick look through all your drawers, make sure your family didn't throw a knife or a thumbtack or something crazy in a "junk" drawer that's not locked.

And, while the inspector is there, when all else fails, wash hands. Wash your hands, wash the kids' hands, wash the dogs hands...lol
Yes!. Paper work!!! It's like the DMV I tell ya- I'm always missing something! Also agree with the part to make sure your family hasn't stashed something where it shouldn't be!! I received a violation once because of that!
And don't forget to breath!!! It will be over before you know it!
Laurel 06:59 PM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What are the finer points I might be missing? I have to schedule an inspection in the next month or so to maintain my STARS and I really don't want to. I think in the 30+ years I've been doing this, they've come 3x. And I've heard our newest licensor is a bear.
So any hints or advice would be very much appreciated!
Luckily we don't have the stars thing yet but we have regular inspections every 4 months and get re-licensed every year but it is just like a regular inspection.

I have learned not to chit chat much and don't give any information that isn't asked for. Be pleasant and answer what is asked but that is about it. One time I just happened to mention that we had been on a walk/stroller ride so then a whole lot of questions about that started. "Well do you have emergency info in the stroller, do you take your cell phone," and on and on. Then she double checked my permission slips for them going on the stroller ride. She had been seeing the same one for years yet now it wasn't good enough. I just had to make a new one and she didn't count off for it but if I would have just kept my mouth shut.

Check your diaper changing pad and make sure it doesn't have even the slightest little rip in it (where germs could get in). Those things get tiny tears that you almost don't notice but our inspector does!

My provider friend was told she couldn't keep her butcher block type knife holder way back on her kitchen counter. Get rid of things like that.

So that the kiddies behave better, I always have special toys that I usually don't get out or a tub of them. When she arrives they get them and are so absorbed that they are better behaved.

Laurel
MyAngels 08:57 PM 08-04-2013
Paperwork, as PPs said, plus mine always checks my fire extinguishers and first aid kit - I got written up once because my daughter swiped the tweezers from mine . I also got dinged once because my water was too hot by 5 degrees, so I bought one of those temperature regulator valves and had it installed in the bathroom. Oddly enough I've never had an inspector check it again .

ETA - opps, I just realized you're getting inspected for STARS.... They probably won't be looking for these types of things then .
Tags:inspection
Reply Up