Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Laying still and not falling asleep
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:59 AM 01-12-2018
14 month old is not napping for longer than 1 hour an a good day. Yesterday slept for 30 minutes then woke up and laid quietly on nap mat for over an hour without falling back asleep. She initially fell asleep within 10 minutes.

It's not possible this is all the nap needed, right? In my limited experience, once you get them to settle down and lie still they will fall back asleep to finish nap. This child was motionless (as long as I was in the room) with eyes open, but the moment I moved at all she was up and crying. Tried to wait her out, but she never fell asleep.

I've been trying with this one to get a good nap routine for a long time. Have tried adjusting schedule and such. Dck is definitely going through a separation anxiety phase, but the actually laying still and not eventually falling asleep is new to me.
Homebody 10:22 AM 01-12-2018
How many hours from the time she wakes in the morning until nap time? Maybe she isn't very tired. I would ask the parents what her sleep schedule or routine is at home.
Do you keep the room dark where she naps, use a fan for white noise, or play lullaby music?
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:34 AM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
How many hours from the time she wakes in the morning until nap time? Maybe she isn't very tired. I would ask the parents what her sleep schedule or routine is at home.
Do you keep the room dark where she naps, use a fan for white noise, or play lullaby music?
I've tried adjusting nap times and number of naps during the day taking hours since waking into consideration. I've had her for almost a year, parents nap schedule is similar to mine. She has a bedtime routine and generally sleeps through the night, though occasionally wakes around 4am and goes back down. She is in the nap room with lights off and the same background music/ocean sounds I've used for months.
Homebody 10:47 AM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I've tried adjusting nap times and number of naps during the day taking hours since waking into consideration. I've had her for almost a year, parents nap schedule is similar to mine. She has a bedtime routine and generally sleeps through the night, though occasionally wakes around 4am and goes back down. She is in the nap room with lights off and the same background music/ocean sounds I've used for months.
If she has been used to taking 2 naps it could be she is going through a nap transition to just 1 nap. She's at about the right age for that. So, I would just stick with giving her just 1 nap for awhile. In my experience it can take about a month for them to transition and start sleeping better.
tenderhearts 11:01 AM 01-12-2018
I have a dcb now 3 who was a great baby and boy except at nap time, he never was a good napper, he would just cry. He got better for awhile once I transitioned him to a nap mat when he was about 2 yrs but it was only about 6 mo. then he started back to just crying not getting up just crying and of course no one else could sleep, so I had to put him into another room but he just cried there too, I had to leave door open for him to sleep, it was like he developed fears, but his nap was only about 30 min. it was really frustrating because I knew he needed his nap. Finally I let him nap with the older kids with a movie, he ended up falling asleep right away and napping there for 2 plus hours, for whatever reason that worked better for him.
Blackcat31 11:01 AM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
It's not possible this is all the nap needed, right?
My DS stopped napping around 15 months.
Never napped again. Still requires very little sleep.

I don't think it's very common but is possible.

I know most people sleep on average 6-8 hours a night and some people sleep even more. I average less than 5 hours a night and never nap. Some people don't require as much sleep as others and while it isn't as common it's still possible.

But I'd consider behavior (does she appear to be lacking in sleep) too before concluding that she needs less sleep than others.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 12:14 PM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DS stopped napping around 15 months.
Never napped again. Still requires very little sleep.

I don't think it's very common but is possible.

I know most people sleep on average 6-8 hours a night and some people sleep even more. I average less than 5 hours a night and never nap. Some people don't require as much sleep as others and while it isn't as common it's still possible.

But I'd consider behavior (does she appear to be lacking in sleep) too before concluding that she needs less sleep than others.
This is what I'm afraid of... these mythical children who don't need naps. It just seems like so little sleep! She does do pretty good mood wise even with the short naps. Parents say she crashes on the one way home wakes up full speed when they get home till bedtime.

We've been cutting out the morning nap most days unless she gets here super early (dcd has an ever changing work schedule). But no matter what we're averaging 45-60 minutes a day.
Reply Up