Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nursing... To Tell or Not to Tell
Ac114 04:56 PM 02-16-2018
So this may seem like a weird question but I nurse my 6 month old and also provide childcare in my home. When you interview with parents, do you disclose this to them? I obviously don’t think of it as being a big deal but I try to see how the other parent would feel. Also, for people who nurse, do you go to a completely different room or just cover yourself? I cover and usually have a lot of questions from the little ones. I haven’t had a parent be upset but want to avoid conflict if this is an issue. Has anyone had any conflicts from parents over this issue before?
hwichlaz 05:09 PM 02-16-2018
How your child is fed is only the business of people caring for that child.
MrsJ 07:04 PM 02-16-2018
It's been many years since I had a little one nursing but it was a difficult experience. I wondered about what words to use with kids and how parents would respond. I covered and hid that I was doing it.
One of my early memories with my son is of us hiding away in a room so he could eat. It was very difficult and made me question how much I could handle during a dc day at that time.
I would just do it and run with it. No explanations or parent prep.
pintsize 07:35 PM 02-16-2018
My little one is 3 months old. I have had two interviews since he was born and both times I nursed during the interview. I wear a tank-top under my shirt everyday, so that I can pull my shirt up and use the top shirt to cover the top of my boob, the tank covers everything else, I sit in a recliner that is kinda in the corner of the room. I don't cover, but I don't think the kids can see anything. As for the parents I had pre-baby, I mentioned it my first day back from my two week maternity leave, just said "hey, i'm nursing the baby, nothing is visible but if ____ asks any weird questions or mentions that Logan eats under Angel's shirt that's what he's talking about."

The kids were mildly interested for the first day or two, they haven't cared since. When they asked I said "Well, some babies like G drink from a bottle, some drink Mommy's milk. Logan is eating right now so please go to the red/blue/table station"
curiouskids 07:35 AM 02-17-2018
I nurse my 10 month old and have 2 2 year olds (twins) besides my own children. I have never mentioned to dcp specifically that I nurse but they are aware because when I nurse dcg always gets a baby doll, lifts her shirt and puts the baby to her tummy (lol! I think it is great) and mom mentioned she does it at home too and laughed about it. All that is said by the kids is "baby eat!" and I reply "Yup it is time for Mommy Milk." I think it is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. I also always wear a tank top under my shirt and not much is visible.
BrynleeJean 08:36 AM 02-17-2018
i got pregnant for and nursed my son in my daycare, i was very worried about this issue too.
i never told parents in the interview just because it never occurred to me i was more worried about my current families being worried that if they found out i was nursing they would think that was taking time away from their child, as if nursing takes more time than bottle feeding?? idk what i was thinking.
Anyways the parents didnt care, i don't remember how i brought it up to them but i nursed for 12-13 months.
i just ended up throwing a nursing cover over me and saying "the baby is sleeping shh" and they were curious at first like let me see but i said no not right now and they would go off and play
i will say that some of the toddler-3 year olds got a little testy when i was nursing, realizing i couldn't hurry to get up if they were doing something they shouldn't.
Jo123ABC 11:15 AM 02-17-2018
I nursed when I first opened my family daycare. I didn't say anything about it to parents or kids. I tried both covering and not. The kids were more curious and hovered when I covered but not at all interested when I didn't cover. I bought nursing tanks and layered with flowy shirts I bought from Amazon that opened easy in the front and could double as a cover if I wanted. As others have said, if you don't make it a big deal neither will they! I would only ever say "time to feed Liam!" Or "Liam's ready to eat too!" And leave it at that! Parents knew I nursed I think but I never discussed it much with them. Most of them nursed too though!
LittleScholars 08:59 AM 02-20-2018
I worried about this too, but got over it really quickly. I told all of the current parents. I wasn't worried about the kids, but I didn't want parents to be surprised if I was nursing at pick up (I also reminded them this could be avoided by sticking to contracted times). One dad often shows up early and beeps loudly so I know he is coming. It cracks me up.

I quickly learned how to nurse in a carrier, and all was fine. I think I was extra lucky because all but one of my daycare moms nursed, so this was a familiar topic. Kids definitely questioned what I was doing (and not always with the most appropriate language), but the parents and I always explained that is how some babies eat.
LostMyMarbles 05:55 AM 02-21-2018
How shall I put this. I don't discuss my boobies with my DCP, why should you. I don't discuss how each child is fed (bottles, supplies, forks, spoons) either.

Nurse your baby and be proud!!!
Ariana 08:59 AM 02-21-2018
Didn't tell parents and fed my kid in front of the daycare kids (discreetly but not covered). No issues. If the kids had questions I answered them because it is a normal part of life and is not gross. If a parent had a problem I would have told them to take a hike!

I think BF is considered pretty normal nowadays
Ac114 09:20 AM 02-21-2018
Thank you guys for all the input. I didn’t even think it was a big deal or weird until one of my parents ask me if I was breastfeeding. She said her daughter, who is almost 3, mimics it at home but they didn’t nurse so she was curious as to where she learned it from. She wasn’t upset but just surprised....Idk. None of my DCK were breastfed or currently breastfeeding so it’s not the norm for them.

It just took me by surprise when I was questioned like I did something wrong. I’ll continue to nurse my babe and if anyone has a problem they can go elsewhere.
Ariana 11:09 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Thank you guys for all the input. I didn’t even think it was a big deal or weird until one of my parents ask me if I was breastfeeding. She said her daughter, who is almost 3, mimics it at home but they didn’t nurse so she was curious as to where she learned it from. She wasn’t upset but just surprised....Idk. None of my DCK were breastfed or currently breastfeeding so it’s not the norm for them.

It just took me by surprise when I was questioned like I did something wrong. I’ll continue to nurse my babe and if anyone has a problem they can go elsewhere.
I think even if it was not the normal for them or something they chose to do, it is considered normal to breastfeed a baby!
SnowGirl 05:14 PM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Didn't tell parents and fed my kid in front of the daycare kids (discreetly but not covered). No issues. If the kids had questions I answered them because it is a normal part of life and is not gross. If a parent had a problem I would have told them to take a hike!

I think BF is considered pretty normal nowadays
I wouldn't want a family in my home who would have an issue with it, either! I breastfed both of my babies and will breastfeed my third in front of the children. No child in my care has ever even asked about it, though some will mimic. No parents have ever said anything about it!
Tags:nursing own child, nursing provider
Reply Up