Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PNP to Mat
Sunchimes 07:45 PM 08-26-2013
My dcb is 19 months old, but with developmental delays and other issues, so he is about 12 or 14 months that way. I just realized that he is approaching the weight limit for my pnps, and I need to figure out something else. There is no way he is going to move to a mat successfully. I hate to buy a crib for the few months he would use it because 1) I don't really have space and 2) I don't plan on taking any more babies.

Any suggestions on what to do or how to transition one with issues?

BTW, I am legally unlicensed.
Michelle 08:13 PM 08-26-2013
just a crazy thought but maybe a mat with those play yard fences around it?
Sunchimes 08:21 PM 08-26-2013
You know what Michelle? You may be a genius! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I just packed away the play yard a couple of weeks ago after my biter left. That's a great idea.
blandino 08:43 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
just a crazy thought but maybe a mat with those play yard fences around it?
That was my first thought.

Everyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But I have never really paid attention to that actual weight limits for the PNPs. I don't think a few pounds would make that big of a difference, as long as the child isn't doing gymnastics in it.
Familycare71 10:00 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
That was my first thought.

Everyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But I have never really paid attention to that actual weight limits for the PNPs. I don't think a few pounds would make that big of a difference, as long as the child isn't doing gymnastics in it.
I never have either... To be honest I've never thought about it- I wonder where I would even find that info?
Sunchimes 05:16 AM 08-27-2013
It's printed on mine-30 pounds. He is a tall kid, not overweight, just big. But, he has some issues and doesn't have the physical ability to climb out. I guess the weight is related to the bottom holding up maybe?
craftymissbeth 10:55 AM 08-27-2013
Like a PP suggested, I used a mat inside of a super yard to transition a dck to her mat and it really helped.
Cat Herder 11:12 AM 08-27-2013
I move all of mine out of cribs at 12 months. I prefer having the space.

The play yard works well if you are not actively supervising naptime. Note they can push it all over the room and most likely flip it if they are determined enough, though.

Here, I just walk over, place them back on the mat. No eye contact. No talking. Just lay them down, cover them...walk away. Return to my boring desk to "read".....

Over.and.Over.and.Over.... Until they get that I am the energizer bunny, this is no big deal and I have unlimited will power. Usually it is a couple days with a few failed attempts from them here and there after long weekends, IYKWIM

(If you show emotion, they win that round and it could slow things down for you. Act almost bored with the process.... )
Tags:mats, pack and play, pnp
Reply Up