Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Keeping Notes on Children
Sandbox 06:19 PM 01-20-2011
Hi All, hope everyone had a good Thursday.

We're trying to find out how many people take frequent notes on their children. It could be around anything, from exciting things they've done that you'd like to share with the parents, or something you've noticed with their behavior.

Daily notes? Weekly notes? No notes?...

Thanks!
Jeff
Crystal 06:25 PM 01-20-2011
Daily Anecdotal records, added to their portfolios and to small group study documentation. Used for assessing individual, as well as small and whole group needs.
littlemonkeys 06:37 PM 01-20-2011
I take daily notes and for the infants in my dc I give their parents a daily infant report. I've been trying to find a good program that I can log notes on, etc. But for the time being I have everything logged on a microsoft outlook calendar. Each child has their own daily tab and I've been keeping records as far as their behavior, parents behavior , and other things that I feel are important to add.

I didn't do this last year, and want to start fresh this year!
Crystal 07:08 PM 01-20-2011
I use sticky notes and photography.
littlemonkeys 07:45 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I use sticky notes and photography.
I do this too.... You should see all the pics on my cell!!! Lol!!!
Abigail 09:28 PM 01-20-2011
Doesn't Minute Menu offer a place for note taking?
littlemonkeys 12:04 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Doesn't Minute Menu offer a place for note taking?
I believe so. I think it's in the daily reports section? (Just started the trial yesterday)
Crystal 06:00 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by FritzKorner:
I do this too.... You should see all the pics on my cell!!! Lol!!!
LOL! I take, literally, HUNDREDS of pictures each month.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 01-21-2011
I keep notes on daily behaviors that are out of the ordinary, I also keep anecdotal records and also record anything that may be useful later. This includes comments or things done and said by the parents, who picked up or dropped off that was out of normal routines. I also keep track of how long a behavior/illness has been going on. I make atleast 3 full sentences per child each day in regards to a child's behavior, mood and general disposition and their parents. I cannot count how many times this info has come in handy later for tracking illness or for assesment when a parent needs it for the pre-school screening that our school districts require. I also look back and can see at a glance how sick or well/bad behaved a child was during a year/month or weeks time. I have also notice things that lead up to other things because of notes Ive kept. For example; Robbie gets really wild and has some issues with hitting and biting right before he gets a cold or ear infection. Keeping daily notes on all sorts of things helps me see the big picture with the kids and the families.
I had a mom that tried to talk me out of charging her a late fee because she said this was only the second time this has happened in two years...I looked back over my records and showed her it was the 5th time! I also had a dcm who tried to take the father of her child to court for visitation issues and she wanted me to make a statement saying he has picked up his child only twice in three years...I looked back and saw it was more like twice a month. Record keeping pays.
Sandbox 11:54 AM 01-21-2011
This is cool. We hoped you'all were tracking detailed notes because we have some ideas for how to make it really easy to do in Sandbox. I'll post some screenshots to the blog with what we're thinking.

www.sandbox-web.blogspot.com
Sandbox 06:06 AM 01-24-2011
We designed a way to take notes for an entire class at once, and we did it without having to add any new screens or wizards as that would have made life a little confusing...

We're not always this fast, but this idea seemed like a no brainer addition. Screen shots are on the blog, I hope you're all having a great Monday. www.sandbox-web.blogspot.com

Jeff
Tags:daycare management, daycare software, taking notes
Reply Up