Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Fell with One of My Toddlers!!!
MunchkinWrangler 11:39 AM 03-30-2016
I was always worried about this happening. As I was going in to change my 14 months old's diaper, I slipped on a blanket that was on the floor and went down while holding her. I have hard wood floors and she bumped her head pretty hard as I couldn't catch the fall. I called licensing, I called for pick up as I didn't think the situation warranted a 911 call but I want to make sure she is evaluated for a head injury because we did go down pretty hard and she got the brunt of the fall I feel like. She didn't pass out but has a pretty gnarly looking bruise and scrapes from the floor. I feel so awful and terrible about this. I still have tears in my eyes because I should have been paying attention. I'm in MN, I took a couple pictures of her and mom is sure that she is fine and is going to see what the dr. says. Is there anything else I need to do or should I just wait for licensing to call. Should I expect a visit? I'm nervous because I knew a provider that was shut down for an incident that didn't even happen at her house and she lost everything, now she isn't doing daycare anymore because even though she wasn't found responsible, her families had to make other arrangements during the 4 months she wasn't allowed to operate.
ColorfulSunburst 11:54 AM 03-30-2016
write an accident report and ask mom to sign it.
PS I change kids on the floor.
Ariana 12:04 PM 03-30-2016
Oh no!! This kind of thing must happen all the time so I hope nothing comes of it. I also change kids on the floor for what it is worth.

Try not to worry
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
I was always worried about this happening. As I was going in to change my 14 months old's diaper, I slipped on a blanket that was on the floor and went down while holding her. I have hard wood floors and she bumped her head pretty hard as I couldn't catch the fall. I called licensing, I called for pick up as I didn't think the situation warranted a 911 call but I want to make sure she is evaluated for a head injury because we did go down pretty hard and she got the brunt of the fall I feel like. She didn't pass out but has a pretty gnarly looking bruise and scrapes from the floor. I feel so awful and terrible about this. I still have tears in my eyes because I should have been paying attention. I'm in MN, I took a couple pictures of her and mom is sure that she is fine and is going to see what the dr. says. Is there anything else I need to do or should I just wait for licensing to call. Should I expect a visit? I'm nervous because I knew a provider that was shut down for an incident that didn't even happen at her house and she lost everything, now she isn't doing daycare anymore because even though she wasn't found responsible, her families had to make other arrangements during the 4 months she wasn't allowed to operate.
Yikes! I am sorry....

I have a friend going through something similar (as your friend not you) and she's been shut down (under TIS) since mid-October

I don't want to post about her situation openly so I am going to PM you...
laundrymom 12:18 PM 03-30-2016
I would instantly put a plan in place to prevent this. No more loose blankets. Changing on floor v/s anywhere else doesn't matter in this particular case because you were carrying child. It just so happened to be for a change. But we carry kids all the time. I would have a plan in place. Today. To prevent a reoccurrence. It happens. It's an accident. Stop trying to worry yourself into a panic and control what you can. Keep busy w that for now and please update.
Thriftylady 12:19 PM 03-30-2016
I agree with writing up a report, exactly what happened and that mom took to dr, what dr said, etc have mom sign it.

ETA: I am hoping licensing and mom are understanding, as accidents do happen, and this was an accident.
MunchkinWrangler 12:29 PM 03-30-2016
OK, ok. It was a fluke with the blanket on the floor. I have folded blankets on the shelves underneath, I usually have all my kids in there while I change, I only have 5 including my son. One of the kids must of pulled one of the blankets down and I didn't realize it, until I slipped on it. Today I only had 2, other kids are on vacay, so I think I let my guard down a little because it seems like easy work, usually I pick things up or move them so I don't trip or slip, however, I didn't even notice the blanket on the floor so I wasn't looking at all, obviously. Of course, I haven't heard from licensing yet. I'll write up a report, I've scoured the licensing page and all I see is an incident report and it looks like it's for something more serious. DCM was really nice and kept telling me it was ok and she wasn't mad, that these things happen, even my dcg was hugging me and clinging to me before leaving. I use the table because it's easier on my back then crouching over on the floor and I have hard wood, which isn't as comfortable to my knees
Thriftylady 12:38 PM 03-30-2016
OK, ok. It was a fluke with the blanket on the floor. I have folded blankets on the shelves underneath, I usually have all my kids in there while I change, I only have 5 including my son. One of the kids must of pulled one of the blankets down and I didn't realize it, until I slipped on it. Today I only had 2, other kids are on vacay, so I think I let my guard down a little because it seems like easy work, usually I pick things up or move them so I don't trip or slip, however, I didn't even notice the blanket on the floor so I wasn't looking at all, obviously. Of course, I haven't heard from licensing yet. I'll write up a report, I've scoured the licensing page and all I see is an incident report and it looks like it's for something more serious. DCM was really nice and kept telling me it was ok and she wasn't mad, that these things happen, even my dcg was hugging me and clinging to me before leaving. I use the table because it's easier on my back then crouching over on the floor and I have hard wood, which isn't as comfortable to my knees
Oh I can see how it could happen. Kids do things and leave things laying around. If I had a dime for every time I tripped on a toy, or a shoe, or a coat, etc. Praying that you feel better soon and that licensing is understanding. It will likely mean a visit, but that usually isn't a big deal, they just might want to see where and how it happened and such.
DanceMom 12:48 PM 03-30-2016
I fell in a parking lot with my daughter when she was a baby! So scary!! It was an accident - if document it to death and have parents sign!
Good luck but I wouldn't worry too much about it! I know easier said than done!
Unregistered 12:52 PM 03-30-2016
Incident report=correct
Every incident that results in a doctor visit is considered serious.
MunchkinWrangler 01:38 PM 03-30-2016
Talked to licensing, I need to fill out an incident report, and then document the update on her medical visit, if she had one and what the Dr. said, and the date and time she returns to care. I'm sure they'll talk to the parents as well. They said I did the right thing, with her being 14 months old, I didn't overreact and provided the right first aid and followed guidelines, called for pick up, realized 911 didn't need to be called because I assessed the situation correctly. I'm going to prepare for a visit, I'm sure I'll get one, and I'll make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone. Still worried and shaken up a bit but I'll just have to deal.
Josiegirl 02:01 PM 03-30-2016
Aww, it'll all be fine. Be gentle with yourself.
NightOwl 02:02 PM 03-30-2016
You may not get a visit, it sounds like you've covered all your bases. It's good to be on your toes, though, just in case.
For what it's worth, it almost happened to me too. I was stepping over a baby gate with a newborn infant and my foot snagged the top rail. I was extremely lucky that someone was on the other side of the gate ano they caught us before we hit the ground. It happens. We're human. Needless to say, I've never crossed over a baby gate holding a child again!
Mandy 02:54 PM 03-30-2016
First thing I want to tell you is as the others have said, you have done everything right

The second thing I want to tell you is in the form of an emoji :
MunchkinWrangler 07:26 PM 03-30-2016
Thanks a bunch. DCM didn't even take dcg to the doctor, so I'll just keep a close eye on her. My licensor was serious but nice and said I did everything there was to do. I'm dealing with 'mommy guilt', who knew you could have it just as bad as with your own kid. I'll give her extra hugs and kisses tomorrow and I'll just hold her hand and we'll walk places from now on Ugh, terrible feeling but I'll get over it. Thanks so much for the support everyone!
MunchkinWrangler 07:35 PM 03-30-2016
Thanks a bunch. DCM didn't even take dcg to the doctor, so I'll just keep a close eye on her. My licensor was serious but nice and said I did everything there was to do. I'm dealing with 'mommy guilt', who knew you could have it just as bad as with your own kid. I'll give her extra hugs and kisses tomorrow and I'll just hold her hand and we'll walk places from now on Ugh, terrible feeling but I'll get over it. Thanks so much for the support everyone!
valleygirl 08:32 PM 03-30-2016
That must have been a traumatic experience for you. It's so easy for toys and other items to get under foot when you have all those little ones around and I can see how something like that could easily happen. It sounds like you did the right thing by calling licensing and calling the child's parents and recommending seeing a doctor. I'm guessing you might get a visit, but I don't see why you would lose your license as you reported it yourself and didn't wait for someone else to report the incident. Just make sure you document what happened and get the child's parents to sign it so your butt's covered. I can understand your worry about losing your license to practice.

I know a bit what you are going through. Last summer I was running after my 2-year-old nephew and I tripped and almost fell on top of him. I put my arm out to brace myself and not land with my full weight on top of him. He was fine, but I dislocated my shoulder and I'm still receiving from that injury. I felt so awful about what had happened, and started having nightmares about him falling off his older brother's bunk bed and dying.
MunchkinWrangler 10:01 PM 03-30-2016
I think I'll be ok. At the time, I was very concerned of a more serious injury, which we all know can result in some serious ramifications even if it was an accident, not all the time, but sometimes. Dcg is good, she is normal, no issues, no signs of a concussion, and no other things that are out of the norm for her. Mom said she was her playful, happy self and her nap didn't cause any alarm. I still wish that they physically brought her in but I can't control that. I probably would have but I tend to be on the cautious side, extreme at times, with good reason. Other than that, I will be keeping a close eye on her the rest of the week, and she'll be getting extra napping checks with some nudges thrown in, I did that with my son when he bonked his head after falling off the bed onto the hardwood floor.
Papa 10:27 PM 03-30-2016
I think you did all you could and did it all the right way. Scary when something like this happens. My only suggestion would be if the child can walk, why carry them? I never do anymore when walking. I hold them when sitting on the floor or chair, otherwise I just hold their hand and walk to the changing area. I have witnessed 2 parents trip coming from the car to the house and hit the child's head hard. Let them walk if they can.
Play Care 03:10 AM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by Papa:
I think you did all you could and did it all the right way. Scary when something like this happens. My only suggestion would be if the child can walk, why carry them? I never do anymore when walking. I hold them when sitting on the floor or chair, otherwise I just hold their hand and walk to the changing area. I have witnessed 2 parents trip coming from the car to the house and hit the child's head hard. Let them walk if they can.
I agree to an extent. Currently I have two almost 2 year old boys. For the most part I let them walk, and even when they want to be picked up/held, I get down to the floor to do it. But one of them HATES diaper changes or having to come in from outdoor time and if I were to take him by the hand he drops, or pulls away. It's easier (and safer) for me to pick him up and bring him to the changing table or back inside the house.
Obviously now I'll try to be more aware of objects in the way, but even with an initial clear path we all know how quickly that can change.

I worry that we get so hyper concerned about perceived liability that it makes us to afraid or fail to do our job.
MunchkinWrangler 08:36 AM 03-31-2016
She does pull away at times and short of dragging her to be changed, which I would never do, that is why I pick up, especially when I need to get something done like diaper changes, etc. Even my 2 year olds don't come hither if called if they don't want to so that is why but I don't pick them up, I might get them to their feet and lead them but that is it. I am all for children being independent but I haven't met a single child interested in being interrupted from play time to have a diaper change or a potty break. She has been with me since infancy so I guess I have more of a mommy bond with her and that's why.
MunchkinWrangler 08:40 AM 03-31-2016
Ugh tried to edit, I do pick up my 2 year olds like Playcare if it becomes dangerous to not but I try not to because they can do it themselves.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 03-31-2016
She does pull away at times and short of dragging her to be changed, which I would never do, that is why I pick up, especially when I need to get something done like diaper changes, etc. Even my 2 year olds don't come hither if called if they don't want to so that is why but I don't pick them up, I might get them to their feet and lead them but that is it. I am all for children being independent but I haven't met a single child interested in being interrupted from play time to have a diaper change or a potty break. She has been with me since infancy so I guess I have more of a mommy bond with her and that's why.
This is funny to me and I wonder what the influencing factor is to their behaviors...

I've never had a child be resistant to being changed.

My routine is to sit in front of my changing mat with my needed supplies and call whomever I am wanting to change.

Then they come when called.

I have "play rules" in place though that dictate that NO ONE touches X's toys when they have to get up to be changed or use the bathroom and that X may return to exactly what/where they were playing when done toileting or being changed.

So I've had the opposite experiences...
Makes me seriously wonder what goes through their minds...
NeedaVaca 10:53 AM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is funny to me and I wonder what the influencing factor is to their behaviors...

I've never had a child be resistant to being changed.

My routine is to sit in front of my changing mat with my needed supplies and call whomever I am wanting to change.

Then they come when called.

I have "play rules" in place though that dictate that NO ONE touches X's toys when they have to get up to be changed or use the bathroom and that X may return to exactly what/where they were playing when done toileting or being changed.

So I've had the opposite experiences...
Makes me seriously wonder what goes through their minds...
ha ha, that's me too. I just stay in the changing area and call them over one by one and they happily come! It's always so interesting for me to hear other providers stories! Same with naps...I say who's ready for nap time and they all say me me yeah and go and stand right by their nap area! After reading other posts I have always said I am so happy to have such great kids and a routine that works!
MunchkinWrangler 11:06 AM 03-31-2016
Maybe I should rephrase. It's not an all out war to diaper change/potty

My pottyers when asked always say no when asked, so I always have to coax them to try anyway. And they do, my son is not potty trained and I'm not trying yet, he's not ready but sometimes it can be an event to get his diaper changed once in a while.

I have always used the changing table so I guess I've just got used to bringing them since walking is something that is new to one, the other isn't walking only crawling.
Play Care 11:12 AM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
ha ha, that's me too. I just stay in the changing area and call them over one by one and they happily come! It's always so interesting for me to hear other providers stories! Same with naps...I say who's ready for nap time and they all say me me yeah and go and stand right by their nap area! After reading other posts I have always said I am so happy to have such great kids and a routine that works!
I've had years like that, and it's awesome!

I got two new kiddos last Fall, and mom had said they were "strong willed"
Doesn't even begin to cover it,
Rockgirl 11:19 AM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I think this is important--I do it too. I had a dcb who would be so afraid of someone taking his toy that he would wet his pants. They have the option of putting their toy on the kitchen counter on the way to the bathroom.
Tags:injury report, liability
Reply Up