Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Soliciters
JJPlaycare 10:46 AM 06-13-2011
How do you guys handle soliciters? I mean the ones that come to the door during daycare hours! I am getting tired of it, I tell them I am busy and they just don't get the hint, they want to come later or at a better time! I am thinking about hanging a sign on my front door! NO SOLICITERS!
jojosmommy 10:52 AM 06-13-2011
Rarely have any but when I do I tell them I am busy as I am shutting the door in their face. Probably a little rude but safety is my first priority and you never know what might happen when you are pre-occupied.
jen 10:55 AM 06-13-2011
Can you see who it is? If so, do like I do and don't bother to answer. My nieghbor does have a no soliciting sign on her door!
Kaddidle Care 11:15 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by JJ Playcare:
How do you guys handle soliciters? I mean the ones that come to the door during daycare hours! I am getting tired of it, I tell them I am busy and they just don't get the hint, they want to come later or at a better time! I am thinking about hanging a sign on my front door! NO SOLICITERS!
Yep! Hang that sign! When they start coming around I post a sign in my window that says "No Solicitors except Girl Scouts"

If they still come, just stand there and point to the sign.
daycare 11:26 AM 06-13-2011
I have a sign out front that says No Solicitors!! I just dont answer the door...
Cat Herder 12:30 PM 06-13-2011
I have a sign on the front door (along with the required "No Smoking" sign) and one attached to my mailbox at the top of the drive. I get one every couple years, anyway, lately it has been "college kids selling books".

I like to wait until they are at the front door and sneak out the back/side door to write down the tag number. I make sure they see me do it.

I have a very long drive and walkway, so this is very easy for me to do. I am also armed before I walk out for safety reasons but they cannot see it.

It freaks them out and usually they don't come back.....
SilverSabre25 01:15 PM 06-13-2011
We don't get many but I HAVE a "NO SOLICITORS" sign and it doesn't seem to do diddly squat. It's in plain sight but I've never seen a solicitor notice it and leave. Drives me batty.
AfterSchoolMom 02:03 PM 06-13-2011
I've been known to hastily make a hand written "no soliciting" sign, open the door (with them standing there), and slap it on with tape, then close the door in their faces.

Once I had a couple of those "we'll clean your carpet" people come to the door, ring the bell, and knock for TEN MINUTES while I stood in the kitchen watching. They couldn't see me watching...I'd think after the first couple of minutes they'd go away, wouldn't you?
Breezy 02:09 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I've been known to hastily make a hand written "no soliciting" sign, open the door (with them standing there), and slap it on with tape, then close the door in their faces.

Once I had a couple of those "we'll clean your carpet" people come to the door, ring the bell, and knock for TEN MINUTES while I stood in the kitchen watching. They couldn't see me watching...I'd think after the first couple of minutes they'd go away, wouldn't you?
My gosh I can't stand them! We had one when my DH was getting ready to go to work in the afternoon that knocked on the door and we didn't answer and then he yelled through the window "Open up I know you are in there!!!" And DH had the garage door open already because he was about to walk out the door and all of a sudden we heard this guy knocking on our garage door! DH was SO angry! The gall of these people! I mean seriously? Walking into someones garage?
GG~DAYCARE 02:25 PM 06-13-2011
Post a sign that says "Babies sleeping-do not disturb".
It works!!
PolarCare 02:34 PM 06-13-2011
I have a sign on the door. Not only do I not take solicitors at all, but I don't take ANY drop in visitors during work hours. I have a sign up with my hours and phone number and it clearly states that they need an appointment and that I charge for my time!
Michelle 02:42 PM 06-13-2011
I have a really pretty front door with an oblong window in the middle, so I can see who it is before answering the door , so they see me see them and then I just walk away, does that message get any clearer?
Reply Up