Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stuttering
mommiebookworm 02:01 PM 05-26-2015
I have dcb2 who has just recently started stuttering. He only comes 1 day per week. It was very hard today. The other kids are just ignoring him and not playing with him. I am making sure we don't interrupt him and just let him get his words out (no matter how long it takes). What else can I do? I will speak to Mom about it. He will only be here for two more months and then will start preschool in August
Unregistered 02:15 PM 05-26-2015
My son started stuttering really bad at the age of 3. I had him evaluated and I was told because his vocabulary is expanding his mind didnt have time to process what he was trying to say (if that makes sense) Any who he grew out of it by the time he started Kinder
jenboo 02:44 PM 05-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son started stuttering really bad at the age of 3. I had him evaluated and I was told because his vocabulary is expanding his mind didnt have time to process what he was trying to say (if that makes sense) Any who he grew out of it by the time he started Kinder

Its very common around this age. I could tell him to slow down when talking. That will help his brain catch up with what he is trying to say.
scorp122 05:02 AM 05-27-2015
Yep, very common-- 2 out of my own 4 children did it also, they actually grow out of it very fast!
spinnymarie 09:08 AM 05-27-2015
Same here Lots of stuttering for a very short time - less than 6 months - then it completely disappeared. Ours was right when he turned 3.
mommiebookworm 01:31 PM 05-27-2015
Good to know that this is very common.
Rachel 02:35 AM 06-21-2015
My son also had this, for a while. The speech therapist told me not to tell him to speak slow, but that I should speak very slowly to help him set his pace and slow down. It helped a lot. He outgrew it thank G/d by the time he was 5, but it was really bad for a while.
mommiebookworm 10:12 AM 06-21-2015
I didn't know about speaking more slowly so that will help set the pace. I will try that too.
Tags:stuttering
Reply Up