Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>preschoo 2 half days a week?
Unregistered 07:30 AM 12-19-2014
Next year when dcb turns 3 we will go to preschool 2 half days he will return to daycare at 11. I don't and wont transport that's all on mom. My question is do you think two half days of preschool is beneficial? I don't see much point we do mother goose preschool curriculum here.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Next year when dcb turns 3 we will go to preschool 2 half days he will return to daycare at 11. I don't and wont transport that's all on mom. My question is do you think two half days of preschool is beneficial? I don't see much point we do mother goose preschool curriculum here.
Absolutely it is beneficial!

Preschool is more than curriculum.
It's about being in a classroom with peers your own age in a school setting.

The social aspect is just as important as the academic portion.

A lot of kids don't get that type of socialization from an in home family child care due to mixed ages and the environment being so much like "home".

Two half days of a preschool experience is better than none.
midaycare 10:11 AM 12-19-2014
Sure! Dcm is wanting to give her child another experience. Dcb probably does great with Mother Goose (I just switched over from Funshine and love it :-) but this will give him more peers his own age and a different role model to look up to (the teacher). Always a plus.

When my ds was in family home daycare I always had him do outside preschool, too. I transported.
Play Care 10:14 AM 12-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Absolutely it is beneficial!

Preschool is more than curriculum.
It's about being in a classroom with peers your own age in a school setting.

The social aspect is just as important as the academic portion.

A lot of kids don't get that type of socialization from an in home family child care due to mixed ages and the environment being so much like "home".

Two half days of a preschool experience is better than none.

What I would put my foot down on is the family thinking they will maybe pay you less as their child is in school. That wouldn't happen
finsup 10:24 AM 12-19-2014
I don't really see the point myself, but some parents really want/need that "school" experience. There's a lot of pressure on people to send their child to a "real" preschool so that could be part of it. I know with my own kids, even if I wasn't going to homeschool, they'd be with me until at least 5. I love the mixed age settings and that my 3 year old can interact, get along with, and play with kids from infant to school age. But that's just me. Maybe this dck will do great and enjoy it, or it may be just a lot of running around for mom But either way as long as they were paying me the same, I'd just go with it and hope it works out well for them.
preschoolteacher 10:34 AM 12-19-2014
Absolutely beneficial. And two half days per week is the perfect amount for a three year old, in my opinion.
KSDC 11:18 AM 12-19-2014
I don't think it is necessary. But, it can be a good experience, if the preschool is taught by good teachers. We have a fantastic preschool associated with our grade school. All of my own children attended.

That said, I agree with PP - DCM still pays for the full time slot. You can't fill those two half days with another child.
Reply Up