Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Coughing, Sneezing All Day and Now Screaming During Nap Time
Boymom 11:36 AM 11-01-2016
I don't normally send kids home for a little cold, but this kid has been coughing and sneezing ALL day long and is screaming during nap time. No fever. Would y'all keep or send home?
daycarediva 11:40 AM 11-01-2016
I send home for irritability and inability to participate in our day. Rest included.

Can the kiddo cover his mouth? All that sneezing, YUCK!
Boymom 11:47 AM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I send home for irritability and inability to participate in our day. Rest included.

Can the kiddo cover his mouth? All that sneezing, YUCK!
He's only 16 months so he doesn't, but his brother (4) has been sneezing all day as well and I'm constantly having to remind him to cover his nose. I opened every window in my house because I'm so grossed out haha!
MunchkinWrangler 12:50 PM 11-01-2016
Ear infection? That comes to mind especially screaming at naptime.
childcaremom 04:52 PM 11-01-2016
I sent home a dcg (16 mos) with a cold last week. She was here Mon/Tues, stuffy, hardly eating, barely drinking and not napping. Honestly, should have sent her home on Monday. Tues she screamed for most of rest time and just as I was about to call for pick up... she stopped. Wed she came in and as soon as we went outside she started crying. I called for pick up. I was leaning towards thinking it was her ears. Or exhaustion. My reasons for exclusion were unable to participate and excessive crying.

She came back Monday and looked 100% better after a few days of resting at home. Easier to rest and recuperate at home then at daycare. I accept mild colds but I always tell parents that the dcks still need to be able to participate in our normal activities.

Some kids handle colds better than others and I find as they get older, they handle it better, as well. Sometimes rest at home is just what they need to get over the hump of the illness.
MunchkinWrangler 10:21 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I sent home a dcg (16 mos) with a cold last week. She was here Mon/Tues, stuffy, hardly eating, barely drinking and not napping. Honestly, should have sent her home on Monday. Tues she screamed for most of rest time and just as I was about to call for pick up... she stopped. Wed she came in and as soon as we went outside she started crying. I called for pick up. I was leaning towards thinking it was her ears. Or exhaustion. My reasons for exclusion were unable to participate and excessive crying.

She came back Monday and looked 100% better after a few days of resting at home. Easier to rest and recuperate at home then at daycare. I accept mild colds but I always tell parents that the dcks still need to be able to participate in our normal activities.

Some kids handle colds better than others and I find as they get older, they handle it better, as well. Sometimes rest at home is just what they need to get over the hump of the illness.
Absolutely agree with this! It is always magnified at daycare and I would always get the "child was doing just fine at home" comment.
Reply Up