Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Food Program Participant, Cereals?
Abigail 02:02 PM 09-10-2011
Can I serve cereal for breakfast if I join the food program? I was thinking M, W, and F would all be healthy home cooked meals and T, TH would be cereal options. I want to know what cereals should be offered?
rysakaem1 02:42 PM 09-10-2011
I don't know if they are all the same but I'm allowed to serve any with less than 10g of sugar per serving.
Blackcat31 03:54 PM 09-10-2011
I've never seen an actual list of approved cereals but I only serve the ones you can get with WIC so I figure I am good. I list them by name and no one at my food program offices have ever said they aren't credible.
daycare 04:15 PM 09-10-2011
I serve most oatmeals and anything that is not sweetened
Cherrios
Kix
Cornflakes
Rasinbran, rasin are high in fruit sugar
KEG123 05:31 PM 09-10-2011
Yes you can. I mostly serve cereal snack mix for snacks though. Oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, french toast and muffins are my breakfasts. But I agree with Blackcat, to only feed ones on the wic list because they are high iron, low sugar. Kix, cheerios, corn flakes, chex, life, etc.
GretasLittleFriends 09:39 AM 09-12-2011
My food program rep said breakfast needs to consist of a grain, milk & fruit (or juice). She said I could serve cereal with milk in it, then a glass of juice to drink (approved juice of course).

She told me the cereal could be any type AS LONG AS the first ingredient was a whole grain of some sort. So like Blackcat mentioned, the ones that are WIC approved meet food program guidelines.

I was surprised to learn that some cereals have sugar or h.f.corn syrup as a first ingredient. One cereal that does is Post Waffle Crisp.
dave4him 11:52 PM 10-13-2011
WIC is so picky! Those are the ceral for my babies because half of it goes down the drain after being tossed on the floor
Unregistered 08:00 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I serve most oatmeals and anything that is not sweetened
Cherrios
Kix
Cornflakes
Rasinbran, rasin are high in fruit sugar
Raisin Bran has high fructose corn syrup in it. I was so sad to find that out after I bought it in a hurry one day.

We get Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats, or Life Cereal. They are all oat based with regular sugar, not HFCS.
dave4him 07:45 PM 10-14-2011
I cannot figure out why anyone wants malto meal
DaycareMama 03:15 PM 10-17-2011
We are only allowed 6g of sugar or less per serving. Kix and Corn Chex both go over well here. I was very surprised. Most kids come in with bags of Lucky charms in the morning (which i toss ) but will happily eat Kix, Corn Chex and Rice Crispies
Blackcat31 03:19 PM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by dave4him:
I cannot figure out why anyone wants malto meal
Oh my, Malto Meal with a little melted butter is fantastic!!!

I would, however, be a bit hesitant to serve it to the dck's because cleaning up Malto Meal is frustrating.
dave4him 06:57 PM 10-17-2011
Peanut butter and jelly is awesome!
jen2651 10:47 AM 01-19-2012
I know this is old, but I just wanted to say the new honey kix are awesome! and they are on the wic list. Another thing that is on the list that my older kids love as they think they are getting a treat is the STrawberry frosted shredded mini wheats (I buy the generic bag brand from wal%art).

But yes, cereal is something I try and only serve once a week for breakfast...otherwise it just seems too boring!!
Childminder 11:34 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by :
Raisin Bran has high fructose corn syrup in it. I was so sad to find that out after I bought it in a hurry one day.

We get Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats, or Life Cereal. They are all oat based with regular sugar, not HFCS.
Sugar is sugar. HFCS is sugar made from corn. Your body can not tell the difference between corn sugar, beet sugar, cane sugar, or honey etc...

The bottom line is that your body processes both sugar and HFCS in the same way, and eating either can lead to obesity and diabetes. That means neither is healthier than the other. That's not to say you should ban all foods from your diet that contain sugar or HFCS, but try to eat less than 40 to 45 grams of added sugar a day. Read labels and look for the names sugar, HFCS,
barley malt
beet sugar
brown sugar
buttered syrup
cane-juice crystals
cane sugar
caramel
carob syrup
corn syrup
corn syrup solids
That's just a small taste of it. There are many, many more so read more

date sugar
dextran
dextrose
diatase
diastatic malt
ethyl maltol
fructose
fruit juice
fruit juice concentrate
glucose
glucose solids
golden sugar
golden syrup
grape sugar
high-fructose corn syrup
honey
invert sugar
lactose
malt syrup
maltodextrin
maltose
mannitol
molasses
raw sugar
refiner's syrup
sorbitol
sorghum syrup
sucrose
sugar
turbinado sugar
yellow sugar
Countrygal 02:03 PM 01-19-2012
I am through WECA and we are allowed to serve any breakfast cereal. I don't - personal preference. I feel a child needs protein to start their day, but that is just me, obviously they don't agree.

There are no restrictions - any breakfast cereal.

However, as one poster already said, cereal snack mix can only be served as snack. This may vary with which Provider you are through, tho.
meganlavonnesmommy 02:52 PM 01-19-2012
I do cereal once a week. I always serve a protein with it though, and a fruit. The USDA program I participate in only requires the fruit, but I dont think cereal fills their bellies good, and I have schoolagers to feed, so I always do a yogurt or cheese along with it.
Here is a list of what our food program allows.

COLD CEREAL
100% Bran (147)
100% Bran Flakes (102)
40 Bran Flakes (101)
All Bran (103)
Buckwheat (104)
C.W. Post (117)
C.W. Post Raisin (116)
Cheerios (105)
Clusters (106)
Common Sense Oat Bran (107)
Concentrate Cereal (108)