Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging For Summers (For Teacher Parents)
marcieandpie 08:31 AM 02-10-2015
I have my first client who needs care beginning in March, but she is a teacher and will pulling the child during summer. Right now I feel like I really need to have some income from her because I don't have other clients. What is a fair way to charge to hold the spot?
Kimskiddos 08:47 AM 02-10-2015
My teacher family pays 1/2 tuition and gets 2 set days a week during the summers. This not only holds their spot but also helps keep the kiddo on our routine. Plus, dcm has a couple of days to get things done without kids in tow.

I like having a easier summer so it works for me.
Josiegirl 09:29 AM 02-10-2015
I don't charge because I have enough SA kids coming during the summer to offset the lost income. But I like kimskiddos way of doing it since you need the income and are just getting started.
Annalee 09:39 AM 02-10-2015
My teacher clients pay all summer. School is only out 8 to 10 weeks. They either pay or lose their spot, so they generally stay and pay. Some choose to bring their kids, some just mail me a check each week.
marcieandpie 09:53 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
My teacher family pays 1/2 tuition and gets 2 set days a week during the summers. This not only holds their spot but also helps keep the kiddo on our routine. Plus, dcm has a couple of days to get things done without kids in tow.

I like having a easier summer so it works for me.
I love this so much that I just proposed the idea to her! Thank you!
marcieandpie 10:20 AM 02-10-2015
Sorry...double-post
marcieandpie 10:22 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I don't charge because I have enough SA kids coming during the summer to offset the lost income. But I like kimskiddos way of doing it since you need the income and are just getting started.
I would definitely consider doing this if I had other income, but I don't know that I will by then. Gotta pay the bills!
laundrymom 10:29 AM 02-10-2015
I give props to those that allow teachers a break. Here I require payment to hold spot. They can risk losing it if they want, but I've got a waiting list and pregnant current families.
Play Care 11:00 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by marcieandpie:
I love this so much that I just proposed the idea to her! Thank you!

Just a word of advice - figure out how YOU need to handle it, and then let the clients know what it will be. Don't ever ask/propose, etc. it gives them the idea that they are your boss and you are asking for permission.
Annalee 11:03 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Just a word of advice - figure out how YOU need to handle it, and then let the clients know what it will be. Don't ever ask/propose, etc. it gives them the idea that they are your boss and you are asking for permission.
ALWAYS come across as non-negotiable if it is something you believe in and want to happen for your child care program.
marcieandpie 11:32 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Great advice! I have a 9 page family handbook for this very reason, and already failing...ha! Gotta do better.
Jack Sprat 11:51 AM 02-10-2015
I charge half the weekly rate. All days that they may want to use care have to be scheduled a week in advance.
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I give props to those that allow teachers a break. Here I require payment to hold spot. They can risk losing it if they want, but I've got a waiting list and pregnant current families.
This ^^

I've done the "Pull your kids for the summer and I'll make up for it with SA'ers"

and the "Attend 1/2 time and/or pay 1/2 time to save your space and I'll just make due..."

and now I am at the point in my career that I am turning people away from my waitlist so now, once you enroll you pay every week (the same flat rate) whether your child attends or not.

So with that being said, I say do what you are able to afford/manage now as long as it works for your finances and keep in mind that just as life changes, so do your policies.

I think on the bottom of one of the pages of my handbook it says "Just because I did before, doesn't always mean I can now."
NeedaVaca 11:59 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This ^^

I've done the "Pull your kids for the summer and I'll make up for it with SA'ers"

and the "Attend 1/2 time and/or pay 1/2 time to save your space and I'll just make due..."

and now I am at the point in my career that I am turning people away from my waitlist so now, once you enroll you pay every week (the same flat rate) whether your child attends or not.

So with that being said, I say do what you are able to afford/manage now as long as it works for your finances and keep in mind that just as life changes, so do your policies.

I think on the bottom of one of the pages of my handbook it says "Just because I did before, doesn't always mean I can now."
Agree! The only other option I would consider is raising the rate for the months they come during the school year to make up the difference for the summer. As long as the pay evens out for the year I would be ok with it and just set aside the extra for the summer.
Controlled Chaos 12:35 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Agree! The only other option I would consider is raising the rate for the months they come during the school year to make up the difference for the summer. As long as the pay evens out for the year I would be ok with it and just set aside the extra for the summer.
When I was a middle school teacher my DD attended the center that was attached. We paid all year round even though we only used 9.5 months. I knew as a teacher that if I wanted dd in a good program it would cost me. Also, most teachers have to option to have their pay spread out over 12 months so many are getting the same paycheck 12 months a year, so paying you 12 months out of the year shouldn't be a shock to the system.
marcieandpie 10:19 AM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Love that! I've already been a chronic policy-changer, just from talking to a few families.
Unregistered 01:29 PM 02-13-2015
I have a different philosophy.....I feel so strongly that if a parent is home, kids should be home. I don't charge for or spot, or they would bring them.

I get enough of early elementary kids for the summer, or a new child starts if another us going off to school by the time the teacher family comes back.

I do charge over Christmas break.
spud912 04:02 PM 02-13-2015
I changed my policies in December. Originally, it was pay no matter what. Then I got my first teacher family a year and a half ago and I wanted to accomodate them so I added an extended leave policy that allowed half rate. The teacher family did not use it at all and I found I was more upset that dcb was being dropped off from open to close during the entirety of summer on the sole basis that they had to pay for it so why not use it? So I changed it to a slightly higher rate per week ($15 more per week) and then the dck has to be home during all school breaks (but they do not have to pay during those times). The intention was to encourage dcb to stay home because I have several SA's who need child care over the breaks. The teacher parents still chose to go with regular rate and bring dcb throughout the year . Hey, at least I don't have to worry about filling a vacancy over the breaks !
Brustkt 08:41 PM 02-13-2015
I have all teachers kids and I do not charge them for the summer months BUT when they are off during the school year, so am I and I get paid. That means all school holidays, plus 2 weeks at Christmas, fall break, spring break, and any snow days. If they are off, I am off. Then in the summer months, if they use me at all (they all use me at least one day a week and some use me 2 days a week) I charge them open rate for those days rather than give them their contract rate. I am only open Tues. Wed. And Thurs. In the summer. This works great for me because I like my summers lighter and my teachers don't complain. I have a group of 8 kids plus 2 after school.
Reply Up