Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Fire Marshall Inspection?

What exactly did they look for? What are some common errors? Is there a checklist of what needs to be done anywhere? Do they check out everything or just the daycare areas?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

I guess I am looking for regulations, guidelines, legislation, whatever.

I am in WVa
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

http://www.firemarshal.wv.gov/Docume...%20Centers.pdf

Pulled this from your state's fire marshal's website. Not sure if it really helps or not.

In most states, you are required to show the fire marshal your evacuation plans, records of monthly fire/tornado drills, and records of monthly smoke detector tests. Our state mandates that the smoke detectors be hard wired OR have a 10 year lithium 9v battery in them (however, my city fire marshal overrides that mandate, and he requires us to use regular 9v batteries and replace them every 6 months). There must be smoke detectors in every room that children and adults sleep in.

I hope this helps, but if you still have questions, I would call your local fire marshal. They are always happy to answer questions, since their goal is the same as our's: keeping the kids safe!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

thats what I was going to say. go to your county and ask them for an inspection check off sheet or a list of requirements.

In my state it differs by county, some times by city.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

For my first inspection to get my lic the fire marshal checked the entire house including the unfinished basement , hot water heater , furnace , electrical panel and tested every smoke detector .
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Legally Unlicensed

Crap. I forgot to have my fire Marshall come in and renew me

Thanks for reminding me!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice! View Post
http://www.firemarshal.wv.gov/Docume...%20Centers.pdf

Pulled this from your state's fire marshal's website. Not sure if it really helps or not.

In most states, you are required to show the fire marshal your evacuation plans, records of monthly fire/tornado drills, and records of monthly smoke detector tests. Our state mandates that the smoke detectors be hard wired OR have a 10 year lithium 9v battery in them (however, my city fire marshal overrides that mandate, and he requires us to use regular 9v batteries and replace them every 6 months). There must be smoke detectors in every room that children and adults sleep in.

I hope this helps, but if you still have questions, I would call your local fire marshal. They are always happy to answer questions, since their goal is the same as our's: keeping the kids safe!
do your regs say the "OR" bit re the lithium batteries or is that stated elsewhere?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Legally Unlicensed

In my city, we also have to have smoke detectors in every room leading to our chosen escape exits. So not only on all levels of the house and each room adults and/or children sleep, but also each room you pass through on the way to an exit. I took the safe route and installed one in literally every room in my house. I burned lunch one day and all 7 smoke alarms on my main level went off I chose to use that as an unscheduled fire drill

NoMoreJuice and I are from the same state, but what we are required as far as fire safety is different. So you should definitely follow what your regs say AND your county/city.

Last edited by craftymissbeth; 05-07-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Legally Unlicensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove View Post
do your regs say the "OR" bit re the lithium batteries or is that stated elsewhere?
Yes, Kansas regs say we can choose either option.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
In my city, we also have to have smoke detectors in every room leading to our chosen escape exits. So not only on all levels of the house and each room adults and/or children sleep, but also each room you pass through on the way to an exit. I took the safe route and installed one in literally every room in my house. I burned lunch one day and all 7 smoke alarms on my main level went off I chose to use that as an unscheduled fire drill

NoMoreJuice and I are from the same state, but what we are required as far as fire safety is different. So you should definitely follow what your regs say AND your county/city.
ahahaha

I burn lunch too lol. But, it seems like with a few tweaks I can pass that so I am well on my way
Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Also.....

<--- had no idea fire marshal only had one L. No wonder it kept getting highlighted in red
Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

It looks like my biggest obstacle is hardwired alarms... I am going to call again about waivers or variances but I doubt that is possible

Tags
fire, fire inspection, fire marshall, fire safety, inspection