Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

Default Head Banger

We have a child in our one year old room who hits his head intentionally when angry. We have worked hard to give him words and other anger ideas. It wasnt that big of a issue till latley. He also slaps himself in the face. We now have most of the children in our class mimicking his behavior. We dont give them attention ( other than a "no that will give you owies") for the behavior. Ideas? He often hot his head so hard he leaves bruises ( like today dead center on his forehead). He also tends to hit others to get his way or if they get close.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:19 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Welcome to the forum. We actually have a couple of threads tagged as head banger. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=head+banger
Old 03-18-2021, 09:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

Honestly... I'd buckle him in his booster at the table for a time out. Make him lose his time out sticker which would set him back from getting treasure box, (if he's older than 2). While in time out I'd get all the other kids amped about going outside or something he wouldn't want to miss out on and remind him he can join them when he's done being "spicy".
Old 03-19-2021, 04:43 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

It is illegal here to buckle a child into a seat as punishment or shame them in any way.

We have to use diversion or active ignore.

Has this child been evaluated for developmental disabilities? Head banging is often associated with children on the spectrum.

I would recommend an evaluation as soon as possible.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:45 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Headbanging at this age (12-24 months) can be a normal developmental stage, but it is always best to make sure. https://www.autismparentingmagazine....ism-self-harm/
Old 03-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

I remind children that we don't hit anyone including ourselves. We are kind to everyone, including ourselves. No hitting!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:54 AM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
It is illegal here to buckle a child into a seat as punishment or shame them in any way.

We have to use diversion or active ignore.

Has this child been evaluated for developmental disabilities? Head banging is often associated with children on the spectrum.

I would recommend an evaluation as soon as possible.
Lol my brother banged his head to get to sleep at night, he did this from a young child and into his teens. ( I would have to ask his wife to see if he ever stopped) He once as a grade school student, laid on the floor and banged his head because he didn't get his way. He did it until his forehead bled.
My brother may have adhd but not on the spectrum.
I have never heard of any child doing this other than my little, I mean younger, brother.

Tags
behavior issues, confinement, confinement equipment, destructive behavior, developmental screening, discipline plan, harmful behavior, harming oneself, head banger, training