Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question/Opinion
VAmomof4 07:34 AM 03-10-2020
I have a small daycare and one of my kids comes 3/4 days a week. He pays the full time rate (5 days). On the days he doesn't come sometimes I have a "drop in" scheduled. If the parent changes their mind and wants to bring the child on the scheduled day off and I already filled the spot for the day is it okay to refuse them? I was wondering if anyone else does this?
DaveA 07:48 AM 03-10-2020
To me they pay for a full time spot. So it’s reasonable for them to expect availability if there is a change in schedule. In your situation I would explain to drop in care that priority goes to the FT enrolled family. If there’s a scheduling issue the drop in would have to find alternate care.
Cat Herder 07:49 AM 03-10-2020
I would not refuse them as I would view it as a breach of my contract. They pay for all five days, they should be able to attend all five days. I feel it should work both ways.
Jupadia 08:50 AM 03-10-2020
I have one kid pays for all 5 days comes 3 days. I do occasionally drop ins for kids who dont come regular. I make sure I dont fill that space, I'm already being paid for the spot. Whether the child is here or not, if i were to accept someone into their space then i would be earning double for the same space.

I do require parent to let me know at least the day before if they need to use their space, but that's cause of planning purposes not because of space.
dolores 09:04 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by VAmomof4:
I have a small daycare and one of my kids comes 3/4 days a week. He pays the full time rate (5 days). On the days he doesn't come sometimes I have a "drop in" scheduled. If the parent changes their mind and wants to bring the child on the scheduled day off and I already filled the spot for the day is it okay to refuse them? I was wondering if anyone else does this?
I would not refuse full-time family as all days belong to them regardless of how they use it. I would instead cancel the drop in kid if it puts me over capacity.
I offer drop in care when my enrollment is low; or, if I am full, when kid is out i.e. vacation/sick or like your situation does not come on all paid days regularly which I would need to know in advance. Drop ins have to be carefully coordinated so you don't exceed the # of kids you are allowed to have but it is a good source of additional revenue if managed well.
Sunshine69 09:11 AM 03-10-2020
If a full-time spot is paid for, I do not fill in with a drop-in.
dolores 09:12 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
. Whether the child is here or not, if i were to accept someone into their space then i would be earning double for the same space.
Exactly, and that is an opportunity to increase your revenue should you want to.
Blackcat31 10:19 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would not refuse them as I would view it as a breach of my contract. They pay for all five days, they should be able to attend all five days. I feel it should work both ways.
Same here. If I charge a family for 5 days, they have a right to 5 days.

If I filled the spot, I would regretfully have to cancel on that parent. I require a weekly schedule of which days a child will be here but I can't guarantee space to drop in kids. That privilege goes to full time paying families only
Tags:fulltime rate
Reply Up