Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Give Gifts To DCK's For Holidays?
Crazy8 10:17 AM 11-26-2011
Do you buy each child a gift for Christmas (or whatever holiday they celebrate)??

We do a book exchange - everyone picks a name out of a jar and buys that child a book. I started this a long time ago - first year we did an inexpensive gift for each child but then decided to make it a book, makes it easier to buy for kids you don't really know well and it also eliminates one parent buying gifts for each child and others feeling bad that they didn't do the same.

I also buy a gift for each child - I need some new ideas. I almost always do some Melissa & Doug wooden toys - tired of doing that but don't want to buy expensive plastic junk either.
nannyde 10:20 AM 11-26-2011
No I don't do gifts for the children.
bice99 10:34 AM 11-26-2011
I do. This year we hit the Black Friday sale at Joanns and got lots of fleece. Everyone is getting a one yard tied fleece blanket. Pink flowers on one side, purple on the other. I have all girls right now $6 per child, plus lots of love from my girls and me. They will all love them.
Zoe 10:47 AM 11-26-2011
I made photo books on shutterfly about their year in daycare. Only the families that have been with me for a while. The others are getting tins of cookies after our Cookie Extravaganza.
Crazy8 04:44 PM 11-26-2011
Originally Posted by bice99:
I do. This year we hit the Black Friday sale at Joanns and got lots of fleece. Everyone is getting a one yard tied fleece blanket. Pink flowers on one side, purple on the other. I have all girls right now $6 per child, plus lots of love from my girls and me. They will all love them.
that's a cute idea, bet they will love it!! We have NO fabric stores around here.
sharlan 06:14 PM 11-26-2011
I generally give each of the daycare kids a $20 gift card to Toys R Us. I do the same for their birthdays.
Hunni Bee 06:23 PM 11-26-2011
We do a BIG gift exchange (Thanks for reminding me! Its time to start preparing). Its one of my hallmarks.

We all secure permission from the parents that they actually want to do it, and make sure they understand that if their child doesn't take a name, no one will take their name either.

The reason I say big is not because a lot of money is spent (I impose a $5 limit), its because we place a lot of emphasis on the giving part. We ask the parent not to reveal the name to the child, but just whether they are a boy or girl. Then they get to consider a nice gift for their friend. It's purpose is to take (some of) the focus off receiving.

If I have a odd number of kids that year, then somebody gives the class a gift.

Also, each child gets a low-candy Christmas bag from me. We have a pajama movie party. It's great.
dave4him 06:56 PM 11-26-2011
Dont plan on it.
SilverSabre25 07:05 PM 11-26-2011
In a way. This year, I plan on giving the daycare a bunch of new stuff. I'm going to wrap it all up in a HUGE box, covered with one layer of wrapping paper per kid (hello dollar store, and I only have 4 kids), and they will each get to tear off one layer of paper. I will stress to them that these are new DAYCARE toys.

Inside the box, I'm also going to have one wrapped package for each of them and inside will be a nice new fleece blanket (that I'm making) for them to keep AT DAYCARE as a nap blanket.

We will spend a lot of December working on gifts for their parents. I haven't figured out what yet, but I want to make something really nice. Maybe those hand/footprint calendars someone posted.
Sunchimes 07:06 PM 11-26-2011
I'm making rag quilts for them, but I only have 3.
emmajo 08:20 PM 11-26-2011
Some years I do, some years I don't. Depends on the kids, their interests, my mood I guess! One year I made each little girl a special notebook/journal - they were all into that sort of thing.
One year I bought more toys than usual for the day care and let the kids open them, and kept them here.

I suppose I've not given them gifts more often than I've given - I know they all receive so much at home, (whether parents can really afford it or not) and what I can afford to give pales in comparison. So if I don't think of something I can make, I don't do anything that year.

This year, ( if I can get it done before Thursday!!)I am making and giving an Advent/countdown calendar to the sisters in a family I've had for over 8 years now. They go to my church so I know their values are similar to mine and it will be ok to include aspects of the real meaning of Christmas. For the other, younger, kids, it will be more like crafts/ornaments they'll make and take home, no special gifts.

I'm actually sort of surprised to read about some providers giving the kids really elaborate gifts. That seems sort of like giving back the money the parents just paid for our services - kind of the opposite of all the "backbone" posts?
mismatchedsocks 09:12 AM 11-27-2011
This year I found these awesome plastic carrying cases ($2) and had the little store personalize them with childs name and drawing of something that pertains to them. Its nice because I have alot of "different" names. In the boxes I put a small notebook and 8 pack of crayons ($1 for both) and then a flashlight with their name on it ($7) and if they do not have one with name, got a cool design on them.

I also got pint glass jars ($1 each) and am going to fill with the cookies in a jar recipe to give to the parents and a christmas card.

So about $15 a child. I love getting personalized things, and look for them all year. I also love giving things for families to make together. Last year I had packets of hot cocoa and decorating items for cookies.
KEG123 09:40 AM 11-27-2011
I have 3 kids, was thinking books or puzzles.
e.j. 05:18 PM 11-27-2011
I give the kids gifts but try to keep the cost at around $10 per kid. I also try to give a handmade craft to the parents from their kids.
Crazy8 07:08 PM 11-27-2011
Originally Posted by emmajo:
I'm actually sort of surprised to read about some providers giving the kids really elaborate gifts. That seems sort of like giving back the money the parents just paid for our services - kind of the opposite of all the "backbone" posts?
I don't see it that way AT ALL. Giving a child a gift for a special occasion (xmas, birthday, etc.) - whether it be a $5 gift or a $20 gift in NO WAY reflects my backbone in having parents follow policies set for my business. I don't see the relation between the two at all.
sharlan 07:17 PM 11-27-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I don't see it that way AT ALL. Giving a child a gift for a special occasion (xmas, birthday, etc.) - whether it be a $5 gift or a $20 gift in NO WAY reflects my backbone in having parents follow policies set for my business. I don't see the relation between the two at all.
I don't either. My choice, I like to give back to the kids.
2ndFamilyDC 08:01 AM 11-28-2011
I buy each kid a gift and the kids also draw names to buy a gift for each other.
Meeko 08:27 AM 11-28-2011
We have 20 kids on our books and so gifts must be cheap and cheerful unless I want to enter the poor house!

Last year, we collected empty formula cans and decorated them with Christmas wrapping paper. We made huge batches of homemade play dough (red and green) and gave a can full to each child. They all LOVED it and it cost me pennies.

Same for the parents. Just a token gift that is from the kids and me. Each year the kids decorate boxes I buy at the craft store. They help me mold chocolate and we fill the boxes with a few treats. The moms can use the boxes for jewelry etc after the candy is gone.
Pammie 08:53 AM 11-28-2011
This year, each of my dcks will be receiving "If You Give A Dog A Donut" book (thanks to Children's Book of the Month Club Sale @$6/each) and a pair of Christmas Pajamas (thanks to Kohl's Veterans Day sale and 30% off coupon - so $6/pair)
Each family will be getting a muffin pan (shaped like donuts) and muffin mix in a jar.
thecrazyisout 09:37 AM 11-28-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I made photo books on shutterfly about their year in daycare. Only the families that have been with me for a while. The others are getting tins of cookies after our Cookie Extravaganza.
Please elaborate on Cookie extravaganza..is this family/friend thing, or something you do with your families?
VTMom 09:53 AM 11-28-2011
I bought books from Scholastic (1 for each), an art kit, coloring book, and airplane kit. All said it probably totalled $10.00 each. For the little ones I bought a book and clothes (I know they're in need).

I'm also doing 2012 calendars (Costco) with pictures of their kids for parents gifts. I'll have the kids make wrapping paper and design the cover of the calendar.
wdmmom 09:58 AM 11-28-2011
I had a 30% off coupon for Kohls awhile back. I got each of the kids a 24 piece puzzle for $3.19. The babies got a small set of Sesame Street books that cost $4.99.
MarinaVanessa 10:01 AM 11-28-2011
I don't get the kids Christmas gifts, just something for their Bdays. We do however create a gift for their parents. Usually it's a cardboard book with photos and such of the last year. Last year we made hand molds of each child's hand, parents loved them.
lil angels 10:15 AM 11-28-2011
I do gifts for the kids every year to. I will purchase during the year and then it isn't such a big deal this year I bought three of my little girls these t shirts that were $16 each and I got them for $2 each at herbergers and I went to wrap them and I can't find them. I have one more place to look but am beside myself I never do this I just got them a couple months ago. I got 2 for each of them and some hair ponies to go with it for peat sake. I don't know I may have to purchase something else for them and if I find them give it to them for their birthday instead? Sorry more of a vent. But yes I do give all my kids gifts normally around $10 each but I do alot of clearance shopping so it looks like I spent alot more than I did. He he
caring4kidsinSD 06:16 PM 11-28-2011
I get the kids a toy for Christmas - Usually the ones I find on sale for a really good bargin on BF for $5 or less - I get them a game of the same price for their birthday.

For the parents, the kids might make something but usually I just make the parents something. I love crafting so I make them something personalized. Last year I did ornaments, the year before a tile with their name on it, and the year before a decorated plate with cookies on it. This year they are getting a charger plate with a Vinyl saying on it.

I love my DC families and they are so good to me that I LOVE giving back to them. Without them, I wouldn't have an income!
AnythingsPossible 06:06 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
This year, each of my dcks will be receiving "If You Give A Dog A Donut" book (thanks to Children's Book of the Month Club Sale @$6/each) and a pair of Christmas Pajamas (thanks to Kohl's Veterans Day sale and 30% off coupon - so $6/pair)
Each family will be getting a muffin pan (shaped like donuts) and muffin mix in a jar.
Love this idea I did something similar last years with If you give a Mouse a Cookie and Cookie Mix and If you Give a Pig a Pancake and pancake mix. I love gifts like that!! Love the PJ idea, may have to keep my eyes out for a good sale!!
Pammie 06:14 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Love this idea I did something similar last years with If you give a Mouse a Cookie and Cookie Mix and If you Give a Pig a Pancake and pancake mix. I love gifts like that!! Love the PJ idea, may have to keep my eyes out for a good sale!!
I did the "If you give a Pig/Pancake" with pancake mix last year too:-)

I've also done Jan Brett's "Mitten" - kids got the book and a new pair of mittens.

Jan Brett's "Umbrella" - kids got the book and an umbrella
mommiesherie 06:39 AM 11-29-2011
I will buy each a nice gift or two. I did some of it at black friday sales. I only have 4 day care kids. 2 I will buy a lot for because they won't have much of a christmas. The others won't know that though. I will just give to mom and they will think santa brought it. We will have a christmas party here during the day before christmas and I will let them all open their gifts. Play with them a while then take them home thank goodness! I love christmas so much! Can't wait for them to open the gifts I bought them
Springdaze 07:35 AM 11-29-2011
I asked the lady (!) next door and she said she would be santa for me. I will go to 5 below and get each child something. Every year or so a man comes round this time and gives me coloring books but wont tell me who he is, so I have those as well. Maybe Ill ask about a book exchange and see if the parents are willing to do it. Its a nice way for the kids to learn about giving!
For the parents I am making a calendar with things made out of handprints, but I better hurry, Im only on March!
greenhouse 07:48 AM 11-29-2011
Under $10 and it's "from" my son who is 2 and in the day care.
DaisyMamma 10:17 AM 11-29-2011
I do, but always hit the sales. Last year $4 zhu zhu pets, this year $1.96 movies from walmart - black friday. I wish I could afford more, maybe next year!
Unregistered 10:43 AM 11-29-2011
Every year I make photo books for each child on Snapfish. This year I got in on a "Buy one, get two free" deal. I have one more that I still need to do. I think these are more a gift to the parents, though, so I make sure I get the kids something else to go with them.

I have gotten them a book or two from Scholastic. I usually buy the $1 books.

One year I made everyone fleece no-tie blankets to go with their photo books.

Another year I got really cute bath towels from Kohls on Black Friday.

For the parents, the kids always make a handprint calendar that I try to change up every year so the pictures are not the same. It's tough to think of 12 new ideas every year, so some are similar.

We also do some sort of craft for the parents. This year I think we are going to make the footprint snowmen hanging I saw on another site. I also wrap up any crafty things we've done in December. I try to make my crafts a mix of winter and Christmas since I have so many that don't celebrate Christmas.
NiNi.R. 11:42 AM 11-29-2011
I do!

I love doing it. This year I got each child a big hooded owl bath towel. Because my husband works for Colgate-Pamolive, we are able to get their products very cheap. So they will also each be getting a new toothbrush and tube of toothpaste. Might be lame but I think they will get excited.

We also do a gift exchange between them with a 5.00 limit.
Just Saying 11:44 AM 11-29-2011
A few weeks ago Build A Bear had buy 1 get 1 free and all my children are getting one. They cost me $10.00 each.
Also I have been downloading my pictures to wal mart.com and saving them and I will be making a little photo album for each parent along with some home made candy and cookies!
Daycare Diva 01:59 PM 11-29-2011
I always give a book. Two of my toddlers are taking sign language so I am giving them a sign language book for babies.
littlemommy 06:20 AM 12-05-2011
As I was at Target getting gifts for the little ones, it made me wonder what I should get for one of the children. I can't see the parents being grateful at all. I'm not spending more than $5 on each child, but it almost feels like $5 wasted when you know you won't even get a thank you.

Am I being too Grinchy?
SilverSabre25 06:23 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
As I was at Target getting gifts for the little ones, it made me wonder what I should get for one of the children. I can't see the parents being grateful at all. I'm not spending more than $5 on each child, but it almost feels like $5 wasted when you know you won't even get a thank you.

Am I being too Grinchy?
You're not doing it for the parents...don't expect them to be grateful and don't expect and thank you and then you can't be disappointed. Do it soley for the child. Leave the parents out of your consideration entirely.
littlemommy 06:41 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
You're not doing it for the parents...don't expect them to be grateful and don't expect and thank you and then you can't be disappointed. Do it soley for the child. Leave the parents out of your consideration entirely.
That's a good way to think of it. Thank you!
GretasLittleFriends 06:56 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
It took me a couple of years to figure this out. It, at times, seems like the parents expect me to give the kids something for Christmas or their birthday.

I used to have a family who was GREAT and always showed their appreciation and gratitude. I really miss them; mom is a stay at home mom for now, though she is thinking about going back to work.
kayla 08:30 AM 12-05-2011
I let each of the children decorate a stocking, and then for christmas i fill them. Theres nothing expensive, just little gifts. Usually i do play doh, candy cane, the m&ms in a cane, a book and small toy (usually a dollar store toy). But im not sure i should do that anymore because i never get a thank you. To me it seems as tho parents just expect it and i find it extremely rude. All i want is a thank you!!
littlemommy 08:35 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by kayla:
I let each of the children decorate a stocking, and then for christmas i fill them. Theres nothing expensive, just little gifts. Usually i do play doh, candy cane, the m&ms in a cane, a book and small toy (usually a dollar store toy). But im not sure i should do that anymore because i never get a thank you. To me it seems as tho parents just expect it and i find it extremely rude. All i want is a thank you!!
That's how I feel for one family. I know it wouldn't be fair to give the other kids a gift except for this one, but the parents are very rude to begin with. When they left before Thanksgiving I said "Enjoy your weekend! Happy Thanksgiving!!" and they barely even smiled at me. I feel like I'm talking to a wall!
Sunchimes 08:40 AM 12-05-2011
I'm not arguing, just commenting. I'm pretty new at this, so I may be way, way out of line with this gift thing. I honestly don't care whether the parents expect or appreciate things. I do it because when I do something special for the kids, their little faces light up--even if all I do is bring in a new day care toy. It's hard not to try to do something special for them every day, just to earn that beaming face. Parents, pshh. It's the kids I want to make happy.
Maddy'sMommy 08:42 AM 12-05-2011
I'm giving each of my kids one small Christmas related item (probably a hair bow) and a small treat bag of sugar cookies. Nothing extravagant, but I like giving gifts.
Zoe 08:42 AM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by thecrazyisout:
Please elaborate on Cookie extravaganza..is this family/friend thing, or something you do with your families?
Sorry I didn't respond! It's my family's thing and each daycare kid goes home with a tin. I'd love to have the kids help me, but with the group I have right now, I don't think it would work.
janealb 08:47 AM 12-05-2011
I bake for my kids all throughout December, every week a different cake. I have to spend a loooot of time in the kitchen but I love doing that. Then as presents I just have them bring from home a toy they don't like or play with anymore and exchange them with the other kinds. This way each of them offers a present to someone else.
littlemommy 09:06 AM 12-05-2011
I'm planning on baking different types of cookies, brownies and such this month and giving each family a plate. I LOVE baking, especially in winter.
kendallina 09:17 AM 12-05-2011
I don't give presents to the kiddos for Christmas. They do receive a book for their birthday, though. We focus on giving for Christmas. This year, we did a food drive and we're making glitter ornaments for the family who's hosting our Christmas party. They also make a gift (snowglobe this year) for their parents that they give to them on our Christmas party.
GretasLittleFriends 10:47 AM 12-05-2011
For their birthdays and Christmas each year the child gets a small gift. Something under $10. I have tried to do theme things, like a book and a corresponding stuffed animal/doll. I've also done book and puzzle. This last year they each got a toy for their birthdays.

For Christmas the kids...
* 8mo - 2yrs are each getting an age appropriate toy and some Gerber treats.
* 2-7 and older are getting a coloring book, homemade crayons (blending colors and melting in the oven), a Christmas pencil, and maybe some cookies.
*8yr old girl I have is getting a craft book and some small craft supplies that compliment the book (haven't looked at the book yet...), a pencil, and if I bake them, cookies.

I am also going to use the applesauce/cinnamon ornament recipe and trace the kids' hands for ornaments. Then with a toothpick write each child's name age and year in it. The kids will also decorate some white paper (I have a HUGE roll) and that will be the wrapping paper for their ornaments for their parents.
karen 11:06 AM 12-05-2011
Yes I give gifts on special occasions
I spend up to 10 per child for christmas and B-Days
I also do small Easter baskets and halloween treat bags.
We have a party for the holidays as well.
The parties always include fun games a craft and some kind of dinner. I always keep the children an hour longer on those days so they have time for everything.
mema 07:35 PM 12-05-2011
I got all my dck's done just before school started! They are all getting a pencil box, crayons, markers (big pack of like 25), watercolors, a smelly pencil (bubblegum, rootbeer, grape, blueberry..mmmmmm), and a notebook! $20 for 4 kids
DCMom 08:07 PM 12-05-2011
I do, but I have definitely downsized. I agree with Silver, it should be for the kids and not the parents.

This year I got fleece hats and matching gloves on the Land's End website. The Black Friday sale was unbelievable...$5 for each hat and pair of gloves with 40% off the entire order plus free shipping. 14 kids for under $100. Then I used my bonus points from Scholastic to get them each a copy of Jan Brett's 'The Hat' (little siblings are getting 'The Mitten').

The parents are getting framed footprint of their child made to look like a snowman (with fleece hats and mittens, of course!) Do you sense a theme here?
Crystal 07:51 AM 12-06-2011
I'm torn on this, this year. Typically, I do. BUT, call me a grinch, I have REALLY outgrown Christmas altogether. I won't be doing a tree or decorations, and I won't be making "crafty" type gifts for the parents. I have grown weary of the commercialization of the holiday, and frankly, not one person I know celebrates the holiday based on the "true" meaning of it....and even though personally do not believe in the "real" meaning of the holiday, I think if you're going to celebrate it, you should do it for the reasons intended originally.

I will not even be seeing my own extended family or giving gifts to them.....my own children and hubby and I are doing our annual trip to Carmel on the coast and I will give them each one nice gift, but the rest of the family will not even be getting a card.....so, I have a hard time giving gifts to others, if I am not even doing it for my own family.
PitterPatter 08:04 AM 12-06-2011
Yes I buy for the children every year. We have stockings with thier names painted on them that hang next to my family's. I usually save money and go after Christmas to buy the stockings and hats or antlers etc for each child. I wait until December to buy the main gift. A few months before Christmas I start buying stocking stuffers. Each child gets a wrapped gift of their liking and a stocking full of little things. I make sure the stockings all get the same. If a child doesn't have much I also buy an outfit which is what I am encountering again this yr. We have a little party a couple days before Christmas. I have all the gifts sitting out ready for them. They can peek but have to wait and play with them at home to avoid issues. If I give a family clothing I don't let it be known to the other children I just stuff it in a bag and give it to DCM at pick up.

I can afford to do this because I usually only have a few children at a time. If I had 8 or 10 like some people I would then probably only do a small gift or a simple stocking. I always give because I have seen children who get nothing and it breaks my heart.
PitterPatter 08:06 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I generally give each of the daycare kids a $20 gift card to Toys R Us. I do the same for their birthdays.
Just some friendly advise. Make sure you trust the parents becuse I know a lady that did the same and she found out months later the DCM sold the gift cards for a discount to get cash. Very sad!
Cat Herder 08:07 AM 12-06-2011
I am giving gifts to the kids from my own family, but skipping all parent involvement this year.

After much reflection of the last year with my current clients, I feel this is the best compromise for me.

OK, all but one Uber Charming, Thoughtful and Helpful DCM who will get something personal from just me... Shhh! I think this one will be added to my lifelong friends list one day. I have to admit, I am afraid to jinx it since it has become so rare to find.... Year two and holding....
PitterPatter 08:12 AM 12-06-2011
[quote=emmajo;170621]Some years I do, some years I don't. Depends on the kids, their interests, my mood I guess! One year I made each little girl a special notebook/journal - they were all into that sort of thing.
One year I bought more toys than usual for the day care and let the kids open them, and kept them here.

I suppose I've not given them gifts more often than I've given - I know they all receive so much at home, (whether parents can really afford it or not) and what I can afford to give pales in comparison. So if I don't think of something I can make, I don't do anything that year.

This year, ( if I can get it done before Thursday!!)I am making and giving an Advent/countdown calendar to the sisters in a family I've had for over 8 years now. They go to my church so I know their values are similar to mine and it will be ok to include aspects of the real meaning of Christmas. For the other, younger, kids, it will be more like crafts/ornaments they'll make and take home, no special gifts.

I'm actually sort of surprised to read about some providers giving the kids really elaborate gifts. That seems sort of like giving back the money the parents just paid for our services - kind of the opposite of all the "backbone" posts?[/
QUOTE]

I do a lot for the kids but I wouldnt say its elaborate really. It's for the kids not the parents. All the parents get from me is a little photo album of the years pictures. I spent about $25 per kid this yr. That's no were near what I earned. I keep my still growing backbone with the parents yet still give the kids a good Christmas here. Theres not really a connection.
Tags:christmas gifts
Reply Up