Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave
jenh171 01:55 PM 06-25-2010
I posted earlier about what is a fair price to charge teacher-families to hold their spot over the summer, and this question sort of falls under the same category! I have 2 moms who are pregnant...I currently care for their toddlers. It's wonderful because I will have these new infants to care for, but of course, the moms will be out on maternity leave for a few months, and most likely, they will keep their toddlers home during that time too. I'm trying to decide what to charge them to hold their spot for when they return to work. One family is really stretched financially, so I would like to be fair and reasonable. Ideas?
Golden Rule 02:45 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
I posted earlier about what is a fair price to charge teacher-families to hold their spot over the summer, and this question sort of falls under the same category! I have 2 moms who are pregnant...I currently care for their toddlers. It's wonderful because I will have these new infants to care for, but of course, the moms will be out on maternity leave for a few months, and most likely, they will keep their toddlers home during that time too. I'm trying to decide what to charge them to hold their spot for when they return to work. One family is really stretched financially, so I would like to be fair and reasonable. Ideas?
It is like you read my mind... I have been searching old threads all day (there is a good one from '09, but was afraid it would be rude to bump it up?).

Eagerly following this thread...
booroo 03:22 PM 06-25-2010
Well I guess it depends on what they get for maternity leave... If it's just a couple of weeks, I would probably just do $50.... But if it was 6 to 12 weeks I would do more, with the option of drop in care durning that time..
gkids09 03:40 PM 06-25-2010
Have the parents told you for sure that they are going to keep their child home with them during maternity leave? I have 2 mothers now who just had babies, and both of them sent their kids on their normal schedule. Their reasoning was that they didn't want the older kid's life to be TOTALLY turned upside down by a new baby...In other words, the baby meant they weren't the center of attention anymore, and they were having to get used to that. Daycare is something that was constant, so they kept sending them. Yes, they missed a couple of days here and there, but for the most part they were here every day they were scheduled to come!
Greenshadow 03:52 PM 06-25-2010
I have 3 mommies due in the Fall/Winter. We've arranged that if their children continue care, everything will stay the same. If they decide to cut the hours down but want to save the spot, they pay half the cost.
Michael 05:12 PM 06-25-2010
Some more posts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...aternity+leave
jenh171 08:51 PM 06-25-2010
Thank you, Michael, for posting those previous threads. That's very helpful!
mac60 05:54 AM 06-26-2010
I charge:

if you are here normally here 4 to 5 days per week, $40 per week to hold spot, and child can come for 2 days.

if you are normally here 3 days per week, $30 per week to hold spot, and child can come 1 day per week
nannyde 06:31 AM 06-26-2010
Are Moms on maternity leave who have toddlers keeping the older kid home with them during the leave?

I'm not seeing that anymore.
melissa ann 07:52 AM 06-26-2010
When I first started my business, I didn't have anything in for extended absences. Then I had g-pa daughter get pregnant. She had a 2 yr old at time. She told me she had 6 weeks off and would still bring the 2 yr old. But she did not. I just had her nephew. UGh! I have since put in that for any extended absents whether it's a teacher off for the summer, maternity leave, etc that I require the 3 day min rate. They may also bring their child here for up to the 3 days if they want.
jenh171 08:06 AM 06-26-2010
I have two moms prego right now and neither will be sending their toddler when they are out on maternity leave. In beginning my child care, I never adopted a policy about this so I can't just spring it on them now. I just want to get a reasonable policy in place for these types of extended leaves, so that I don't run into this loss in the future! One week per month sounds reasonable to me for teacher families to pay in the summer for me to hold their spot for fall.
Unregistered 01:00 PM 06-26-2010
This is my summer/maternity leave policy.

EXTENDED LEAVE/MATERNITY LEAVE/SUMMER LEAVE
If you request a leave of absence for more than two weeks, you will be required to pay a part time rate of at least two days per week for up to 12 weeks. Your child may attend during this time any two consistent days that work for both of us. If a holiday falls on one of your days, you will be required to pay for that holiday. You may pay for additional days at the part time rate if space is available. After 12 weeks, full tuition is required.

I had a teacher mom have her baby in the late spring, so her maternity is actually almost 6 months long. After 12 weeks, she has had to pay the full rate for her toddler. Any day is available to her, she is paying for it, but she brings him about 2 days per week. She will be bringing new baby end of August and I haven't asked for a deposit of any kind, but they are a great family and I know she will be going back to work.
Tags:maternity leave, pregnant
Reply Up