Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave Letter--How Does This Sound?
SilverSabre25 03:04 PM 12-27-2010
I am almost to the halfway point of my pregnancy (18 weeks along!) and since it's the beginning of the year, I am sending home a letter to all my daycare families letting them know of all the plans I am making surrounding time off, going into labor, etc.

I attached the letter I just wrote; can you read it and let me know what you think?
Attached: Maternity Leave Notice.doc (27.5 KB) 
marniewon 06:28 PM 12-27-2010
I think the letter sounds good and you have covered everything that needs to be covered. However, I have never had a baby while doing daycare, so hopefully someone who has might have more relevant opinions .
Lucy 07:11 PM 12-27-2010
I don't have the program you used to type it, so I can't open it.
SilverSabre25 07:18 PM 12-27-2010
Oops, I thought Word was almost universal. Sorry! I guess I'll just post it.

December 27th, 2010
Dear Parents:
This letter is to inform every one of my maternity leave plans for this spring/summer. Now is the time to start planning for back-up/alternative care for your child for when our new baby arrives. As a reminder, the baby is due May 31, 2011.
In order to avoid placing undue stress/hardship on my daycare families, I am choosing to take only 1 week off of daycare when the baby is born—barring unforeseen circumstances such as a C-Section, NICU stay for the baby, or other situation that may require extra recovery time for me or the baby. This one week plan does NOT include any medically necessary time off prior to the birth. All time off I take in relation to the pregnancy/birth will be UNPAID time off and do NOT count towards my vacation time.
I’m sure you are all aware of the uncertain nature of babies and the timing of their arrival. I have no way of guaranteeing exactly when this baby will choose to make his/her grand entrance—while I am due on May 31, the baby could be born anywhere between the beginning of May and the middle of June (though I really, really hope that I don’t go THAT late!).
In the event that I go into labor during daycare hours, I will be calling all parents immediately to let you know that you or someone else needs to come pick up your child as soon as possible. If I must leave to go to the hospital before all children are picked up, one of my sisters (Shannon Lariviere or Allison Marshall) will be my back-up caregiver.
If I go into labor outside of daycare hours, I will let all parents know as soon as possible.
If you schedule vacation time with me that happens to fall during the time I’m closed after the birth, those vacation days will NOT count towards your total for the year.
If plans change (due to unforeseen circumstances, etc) I will let you know.
Thank you very much for your patience and understanding in this matter!
Sincerely,

Aileen DeRan
……………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Please sign and date this confirmation that you have received and read this note.

_____________________________________________ __________
(signature) (date)
Abigail 09:03 PM 12-27-2010
I think it is very well written. I think that "every one" should be "everyone" as one word.

You covered a lot of information. A question parents might have is if you have certain days already planned (like around your due date), but I understand that you will give them a last minute notice once your water breaks and that is when they have their one week off from your daycare. You might want to clarify that you will keep them posted as times goes by. Nicely done though!
laundrymom 04:02 AM 12-28-2010
I agree, wonderful letter.
kitkat 05:19 AM 12-28-2010
I think your letter is fine and covers everything. The only thing that you might want to think about changing is the part about picking up immediately if you go into labor. Do you want to give them a set time? I just gave out my letter (63 more days til the c-section!) and said they need to be picked up within 20-30 minutes of my call (I can't remember which one). Personally, I think immediately is fine, I just didn't know if you have any parents that will push it and need to be told exactly how much time they have. I can't remember, are you having anyone come in to help you when the dck come back? If you are, you might want to add that into the letter.
juliebug 05:21 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I think your letter is fine and covers everything. The only thing that you might want to think about changing is the part about picking up immediately if you go into labor. Do you want to give them a set time? I just gave out my letter (63 more days til the c-section!) and said they need to be picked up within 20-30 minutes of my call (I can't remember which one). Personally, I think immediately is fine, I just didn't know if you have any parents that will push it and need to be told exactly how much time they have. I can't remember, are you having anyone come in to help you when the dck come back? If you are, you might want to add that into the letter.
i agree with this and also explain the week off better start would be labor??
Tags:maternity leave, maternity leave letter
Reply Up