Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Your Rules Are Not Followed
Unregistered 04:23 AM 12-19-2017
Hello all! Been coming to this forum for advice for some time now. Lots of great info here☺
Just wanted to see what you guys would do in this situation. About a month ago I sent home a "reminder" paper with my sick policy. I also had to add that there is to be no open food coming into my house. (this family allowed their kids to come into my home while eating cracker, granola bars ect) Rediculous😮 So yesterday morning at drop off dcg comes walking into my house with an open sucker hanging out of her mouth. It pissed me off. These parents have no respect. How should I handle this if it happens again?

Thanks everyone!
amberrose3dg 04:28 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello all! Been coming to this forum for advice for some time now. Lots of great info here☺
Just wanted to see what you guys would do in this situation. About a month ago I sent home a "reminder" paper with my sick policy. I also had to add that there is to be no open food coming into my house. (this family allowed their kids to come into my home while eating cracker, granola bars ect) Rediculous😮 So yesterday morning at drop off dcg comes walking into my house with an open sucker hanging out of her mouth. It pissed me off. These parents have no respect. How should I handle this if it happens again?

Thanks everyone!
Hand the food to the parent and say either finish it in the car or throw it away. I am glad I don't have parents doing that to me. It would really irritate me.
Josiegirl 04:29 AM 12-19-2017
This is what you should do.....take it away and hand it back to dcm, saying it's against the policies you have.
This is what I would do my passive aggressive self would send home a note reminding parents of some of your rules and highlight that one.
Cat Herder 04:30 AM 12-19-2017
I would have had DCG give it to her parent to throw away or take back home. If DCG started to tantrum, I'd have had the parent take her back to their vehicle until she was calm enough to come back in, even if that meant the next day.

Enforcing your policy consistently means rarely having to enforce your policy.
DaveA 05:14 AM 12-19-2017
Like the others said- put it back on DCM to make sure she follows your policies.
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 12-19-2017
Don't write policies or reminder notes you are not willing or able to enforce.

Just because you said it on paper doesn't give it merit.
YOU have to do that part.

The second they enter my house with food, I immediately say "Oh-oh it looks like Johnny isn't done with his snack. You'll have to take him back to the car mom until he's done." Then I smile big and stand there in that awkward silence waiting.......

Parents hear you, they read what you write and they know AND understand the rules and policies....they just don't respect you enough to follow them or they are too afraid their child will cry.

Either way, it's not MY problem. I'm so strict about it, I won't even let them use my garbage to toss it out.
Mom2Two 12:32 PM 12-20-2017
I've had many parents walk in and say "Sally didn't finish her snack yet." I just remind that children can't walk around with food, and I say that I'll save it and i put it in the backpack.

Sometimes the parents seem to be wanting me to allow their child to sit at the meal table and eat right then. I just say that snack time will be really soon, or I say that we'll have an early snack time. It has been a fairly peaceful solution.

The real story is that often the kids are in charge at home and the parents don't want to have the battles that would be required to be in charge of the food situation.

But I'm not scared to do it...

Dropping off a sick child has a $20 fee attaches, plus I call fr pick up. If they aren't here withing 45 minutes it's $20 per hour or part of an hour. It's also $20 for a body fluid incident.

I would term a parent who kept bringing sick children. It's a liability issue.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up