Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Meal Time Music
mamamanda 05:39 AM 02-12-2018
I want to start using music during mealtimes to signal the beginning & end & to help promote a calm & pleasant atmosphere during the meal. I was thinking maybe something classical, but I really don't know. Obviously I don't want nap time style music as they need to be engaged in the meal, but something still calm somehow? Any suggestions on a good CD? Or style of music? Anyone else do music during meals?
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I want to start using music during mealtimes to signal the beginning & end & to help promote a calm & pleasant atmosphere during the meal. I was thinking maybe something classical, but I really don't know. Obviously I don't want nap time style music as they need to be engaged in the meal, but something still calm somehow? Any suggestions on a good CD? Or style of music? Anyone else do music during meals?
I don't play music at lunch time but instead encourage conversation. I invite the kids to discuss their morning with their table mates and talk about what they are going to do in the afternoon. I think it's a good time to practice pro-social behaviors while "dining".

I think it's a nice idea to use music to signal beginning/end to meal time though! I use a kitchen timer...

I would Google meal time music and I bet you can find a ton of ideas and suggestions!
Cat Herder 06:47 AM 02-12-2018
Music during meals is not something encouraged, here.

They (legislators) want us eating with the kids, modeling behaviors, encouraging good food choices, discussing healthy foods, etc. Meal times are basically nutrition circle times with edible props. "Discussing healthy eating with the children during meal times and snacks .... Caregivers talk informally about healthy foods during meals, and reinforce children's internal cues of hunger and fullness."
Homebody 06:59 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I usually put it on the toddler channel on Pandora while lunch is being prepared. The songs it plays are Itsy Bitsy Spider, Old Macdonald, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, etc. It keeps the kids entertained, they dance and sing to the songs and they get out the little music instruments we have to play. Once in a while I will leave the music on once lunch has started, but its turned down so its not a big distraction and we are still able to tall to one another. I don't make a habit of it, but it does seem to keep their mood happy and light.
hwichlaz 08:50 AM 02-12-2018
I think light jazz, something you could play in the background that they wouldn't have to shout over if they want to talk? but peppy enough not to send them to sleep.
mamamanda 08:52 AM 02-12-2018
Yes, I definitely encourage conversation. I was thinking of something playing lightly in the background. I have a little one who struggles with sitting still to eat. He has some sensory challenges (I've got 3 like that) & meal time isn't always a pleasant experience for him. If I set a timer to give mealtime a definite start & ending point then he stares in anticipation of that elusive ding.

I thought maybe with some calm music playing lightly in the background it would be relaxing & give him & definite end time w/o worrying about the ding. It wouldn't take the place of us talking throughout the meal.
Tags:meals, mealtime - behaviour, music center, nutrition
Reply Up