Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do YOU Advertise?
Whatever17 10:46 AM 05-12-2016
Hi Everyone! My daycare unfortunately just lost our only full time family and the loss of income was a shock. DCM unexpectedly had to leave the state and won't be coming back.

Anyway, I was wondering how everyone advertises to get new families to come check out your daycare? I feel like I am advertising in every way I can, but still get hardly any people to come check us out.

Some information about where I advertise: Craigslist, Facebook Groups, Business Facebook, Website, and Local Bulletin Boards

I always put our full time rate in the ads because we are the lowest price I've seen in our area. I also add pictures of the daycare set up. I get many comments about how nice our set up is, but hardly any follow though.

Any advice on new places to advertise? Or new ways to get families attention?

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else handles advertising!
yodaone 10:58 AM 05-12-2016
Not much help here! Just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I feel the exact same way. I advertise the same way as you and get lots of great feedback. I just don't have families actually signing up. I'm beginning to think the Facebook groups are people who are more curious than anything and not actually needing daycare. I'm looking forward to the suggestions other may have!
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by VacationLand Daycare:
Hi Everyone! My daycare unfortunately just lost our only full time family and the loss of income was a shock. DCM unexpectedly had to leave the state and won't be coming back.

Anyway, I was wondering how everyone advertises to get new families to come check out your daycare? I feel like I am advertising in every way I can, but still get hardly any people to come check us out.

Some information about where I advertise: Craigslist, Facebook Groups, Business Facebook, Website, and Local Bulletin Boards

I always put our full time rate in the ads because we are the lowest price I've seen in our area. I also add pictures of the daycare set up. I get many comments about how nice our set up is, but hardly any follow though.

When I first opened and was trying to establish a reputation in my community, I tried all the methods you listed above.

Now that I have been in business for many years, I no longer advertise and simply get new clients through word of mouth from current clients. They also keep my wait list FULL.

I'd continue trying Facebook, Craig's List and local business bulletin boards. Also spread the word....have your current clients tell others...I'd also consider offering a referral discount for any new families you gain from current families.

Word of warning when dealing with referral bonuses though is make sure the family that is new stays for X amount of time before giving the current family any kind of "bonus" for the referral.
lovemydaycare0912 11:01 AM 05-12-2016

Another way I advertise is Instagram. I am able to friend anyone my area with children. Sometimes I message people who are about to give birth and/or asking about daycare. It has landed me one client. I pay to advertise with Facebook. I have business cards I am constantly giving out. Word of mouth. When I go to the nail salon, the owners are always telling someone I have a daycare. Post fliers in your local grocery store's bulletin board. Fliers at local libraries. Call your local dcf department and see if you can give them your information. I don't post my rates. Mine are in the middle. I do post what I offer, and how I stand out. I post pics of what we do with the kids. Best wishes on filling up soon!
Whatever17 11:02 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I first opened and was trying to establish a reputation in my community, I tried all the methods you listed above.

Now that I have been in business for many years, I no longer advertise and simply get new clients through word of mouth from current clients. They also keep my wait list FULL.

I'd continue trying Facebook, Craig's List and local business bulletin boards. Also spread the word....have your current clients tell others...I'd also consider offering a referral discount for any new families you gain from current families.

Word of warning when dealing with referral bonuses though is make sure the family that is new stays for X amount of time before giving the current family any kind of "bonus" for the referral.
How much of a discount would you offer for a referral? I currently charge $175 per week for full time. How long should the new family be enrolled before the bonus is given, in your opinion?
Blackcat31 11:08 AM 05-12-2016
How much of a discount would you offer for a referral? I currently charge $175 per week for full time. How long should the new family be enrolled before the bonus is given, in your opinion?
IF I were to give a referral bonus, I would do NO more than what is equal to a day's fee per child.

If current family refers a family with 3 kids, I'd give the current family ($35 x 3) but ONLY AFTER the new family stays a minimum of 60 days.

I'd also consider maybe giving sign in bonuses...if there is lots of competition for child care kids in your area... Maybe 25% off a week of care (AFTER the trial period) etc.

I don't know, I'm lucky in that there is a huge need for care here so families looking are usually pretty serious since it's hard to find space.

I wouldn't give out too many discounts or bonuses though as that's just giving your services away but I'd absolutely consider doing something like that though (if its tough to get kids) just to get your name out there and make others notice you!
Whatever17 11:16 AM 05-12-2016
IF I were to give a referral bonus, I would do NO more than what is equal to a day's fee per child.

If current family refers a family with 3 kids, I'd give the current family ($35 x 3) but ONLY AFTER the new family stays a minimum of 60 days.

I'd also consider maybe giving sign in bonuses...if there is lots of competition for child care kids in your area... Maybe 25% off a week of care (AFTER the trial period) etc.

I don't know, I'm lucky in that there is a huge need for care here so families looking are usually pretty serious since it's hard to find space.

I wouldn't give out too many discounts or bonuses though as that's just giving your services away but I'd absolutely consider doing something like that though (if its tough to get kids) just to get your name out there and make others notice you!
Unfortunately, My area is the exact opposite if yours! We are over saturated with home daycare's, with 15-20 in a 3 mile radius. Not all of them advertise, though. We seem to be the one that advertises the most!

I like the idea of the referral bonus being given after the new family is with us a while. Thanks for your help!
Whatever17 11:19 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Another way I advertise is Instagram. I am able to friend anyone my area with children. Sometimes I message people who are about to give birth and/or asking about daycare. It has landed me one client. I pay to advertise with Facebook. I have business cards I am constantly giving out. Word of mouth. When I go to the nail salon, the owners are always telling someone I have a daycare. Post fliers in your local grocery store's bulletin board. Fliers at local libraries. Call your local dcf department and see if you can give them your information. I don't post my rates. Mine are in the middle. I do post what I offer, and how I stand out. I post pics of what we do with the kids. Best wishes on filling up soon!
Can you give me some more information about Instagram? I am totally unfamiliar with it! All I know about it is that you can post pictures. Do you sign up as your business name or your real name?
LysesKids 11:35 AM 05-12-2016
Unfortunately, My area is the exact opposite if yours! We are over saturated with home daycare's, with 15-20 in a 3 mile radius. Not all of them advertise, though. We seem to be the one that advertises the most!

I like the idea of the referral bonus being given after the new family is with us a while. Thanks for your help!
See, I get the over saturation thing lol... same here, however the ones who aren't filling spots are the low charging providers. I offer specialty care & have very few spaces so I charge middle ground.

Are you on the food program? If not maybe get yourself a sponsor & have them list you as a provider that offers nutritious meals - they do that here; they even show you the map when a parent puts in a Zip so they can see where the provider is. Just a thought.
Whatever17 12:27 PM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
See, I get the over saturation thing lol... same here, however the ones who aren't filling spots are the low charging providers. I offer specialty care & have very few spaces so I charge middle ground.

Are you on the food program? If not maybe get yourself a sponsor & have them list you as a provider that offers nutritious meals - they do that here; they even show you the map when a parent puts in a Zip so they can see where the provider is. Just a thought.
Why do you think it's the providers that charge the lowest prices are the ones not filling spots? Shouldn't parents want to pay less if they can? Or do you think that parents think that less money means lower care quality? I'm trying to stay competitive in my pricing for my area, but I don't want that to hurt me in the long run!
Thriftylady 12:54 PM 05-12-2016
Why do you think it's the providers that charge the lowest prices are the ones not filling spots? Shouldn't parents want to pay less if they can? Or do you think that parents think that less money means lower care quality? I'm trying to stay competitive in my pricing for my area, but I don't want that to hurt me in the long run!
Some parents do think that. I run the middle range. Here the low range providers, many of them do run lower quality. No learning (I believe in play programs but some learning), no arts and crafts not even coloring, TV all day, ramen noodles for lunch. No here that is the providers that charge $10 per day and also run 24/7. I offer night care and SOME weekends, but these do all hours and all weekends. One does $10 a day for as many hours as you want, so 15 hours a day? $10.
Thriftylady 01:00 PM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Some parents do think that. I run the middle range. Here the low range providers, many of them do run lower quality. No learning (I believe in play programs but some learning), no arts and crafts not even coloring, TV all day, ramen noodles for lunch. No here that is the providers that charge $10 per day and also run 24/7. I offer night care and SOME weekends, but these do all hours and all weekends. One does $10 a day for as many hours as you want, so 15 hours a day? $10.
ETA: I know this because I talked to one of her past clients today who said "I wasn't very impressed with her". I told her that is why parents need to ask questions like "what will my child eat?", "What will my child do all day?", "will my child watch TV?". Those are the questions I try to answer for parents at initial contact.
LysesKids 01:01 PM 05-12-2016
Competitive doesn't mean lowest fees ever... I will never be the lowest priced home, nor do I want to be; as a single mom, I looked for quality over price when my kids were in childcare.

Around here lower fees can mean lower quality (or be seen that way); I've heard some stories, but it's not just homes, some lower priced centers too. I offer things nobody else does & found my nitch, but I priced myself to cover the extras too without getting too spendy.

I checked out your website & FB page... and the newsletter. I was wondering why parents were donating snacks etc, that's why I asked if you were on the Food program. If not, Why?

My main thing is I am infant only & try to be as Organic as possible also which is my difference from others around here. A lot of parents are looking for what makes you unique
Whatever17 01:16 PM 05-12-2016
Competitive doesn't mean lowest fees ever... I will never be the lowest priced home, nor do I want to be; as a single mom, I looked for quality over price when my kids were in childcare.

Around here lower fees can mean lower quality (or be seen that way); I've heard some stories, but it's not just homes, some lower priced centers too. I offer things nobody else does & found my nitch, but I priced myself to cover the extras too without getting too spendy.

I checked out your website & FB page... and the newsletter. I was wondering why parents were donating snacks etc, that's why I asked if you were on the Food program. If not, Why?

My main thing is I am infant only & try to be as Organic as possible also which is my difference from others around here. A lot of parents are looking for what makes you unique
We aren't on the food program. Not really sure why! I will have to look into it. Parent's asked about donations because we offer such low prices and they wanted to help out, so I created a section in the Newsletter so that we can ask for what we need. Sometimes they donate just because their DCK wanted to bring in a treat for everyone!

Our daycare is in a very low income area, which is why we have such low prices. I hate to think that parents think we don't offer everything that a daycare that costs almost double does, when our facebook page speaks for itself in terms of the activities that we do!
Thriftylady 01:17 PM 05-12-2016

I agree with a lot of this. I am not on the food program, because I am legally unlicensed, but I serve healthy, home cooked, made from scratch meals and I use that as a selling point. So I agree find what you offer that is different and use it!
LysesKids 01:27 PM 05-12-2016
I agree with a lot of this. I am not on the food program, because I am legally unlicensed, but I serve healthy, home cooked, made from scratch meals and I use that as a selling point. So I agree find what you offer that is different and use it!
I'm not on it either even though I could be, but I do offer meals that would follow the program, however Organic versions lol. I tried the FP for 2 months, but my babies schedules NEVER mash with when I was suppose to serve meals & snacks & I said forget it ... I would love the extra check it offers, but when it's all said & done, a lot of the food is deducted off my taxes at years end anyway
LysesKids 01:31 PM 05-12-2016
We aren't on the food program. Not really sure why! I will have to look into it. Parent's asked about donations because we offer such low prices and they wanted to help out, so I created a section in the Newsletter so that we can ask for what we need. Sometimes they donate just because their DCK wanted to bring in a treat for everyone!

Our daycare is in a very low income area, which is why we have such low prices. I hate to think that parents think we don't offer everything that a daycare that costs almost double does, when our facebook page speaks for itself in terms of the activities that we do!
The food program gives you a check each month ( for previous) that would cover the cost of a lot of meals & snacks, but it does require you to adhere to a schedule & not serve certain things (or limit how often you do)... it would also mean no food donations unless it was for a party that wasn't credited. Being in a low income area (like I am) means offering the most nutritious meals you can so you know the kids are eating to grow; It could be a perk that you explain to parents... it would help offset low fees too
Thriftylady 01:52 PM 05-12-2016
The food program gives you a check each month ( for previous) that would cover the cost of a lot of meals & snacks, but it does require you to adhere to a schedule & not serve certain things (or limit how often you do)... it would also mean no food donations unless it was for a party that wasn't credited. Being in a low income area (like I am) means offering the most nutritious meals you can so you know the kids are eating to grow; It could be a perk that you explain to parents... it would help offset low fees too
And. Regardless if you are on the food program or not you can claim the standard or actual meal deduction on your classes. You do have to keep track of either attendance who eats each meal. Or for actual expenses your receipts. I do standard because my home and daycare share food, so I can't really do actual.
LysesKids 02:06 PM 05-12-2016
And. Regardless if you are on the food program or not you can claim the standard or actual meal deduction on your classes. You do have to keep track of either attendance who eats each meal. Or for actual expenses your receipts. I do standard because my home and daycare share food, so I can't really do actual.
See that's me... I do standard too, but I have one baby here 12+ hrs daily, so that's 3 meals & 2 snacks for her out of the 3 meals & 3 snacks the IRS allows per child daily... it adds up. most my others are here for 2 & 2
Thriftylady 02:10 PM 05-12-2016
See that's me... I do standard too, but I have one baby here 12+ hrs daily, so that's 3 meals & 2 snacks for her out of the 3 meals & 3 snacks the IRS allows per child daily... it adds up. most my others are here for 2 & 2
Yes, it adds up really fast!
Whatever17 04:39 PM 05-12-2016
This is exactly what I do! So, I see no need for the food program if I am keeping track of my receipts. My DCP's know exactly what their children are eating each day by looking at the days meal dry erase board and are fine with my system the way it is, but to each their own.
LysesKids 05:49 PM 05-12-2016
This is exactly what I do! So, I see no need for the food program if I am keeping track of my receipts. My DCP's know exactly what their children are eating each day by looking at the days meal dry erase board and are fine with my system the way it is, but to each their own.
The only reason I even suggested it was because some sponsors list their providers on their site and parents can see who is providing "Healthy" meals; another form of advertising that's all... some of the rules don't work for me, but for some others they may need that extra income to cover food.

I know most of the licensed & some of the licensed exempt providers here are on the program, and I do get questioned why I am not, even though I spell it out in my meal policy...
Thriftylady 06:11 PM 05-12-2016
Well the food program would be "extra" money to you. If you want the hassle. I have some pretty big issues with the diet the FP pushes. It isn't as healthy as they claim.
lovemydaycare0912 07:07 PM 05-12-2016
Can you give me some more information about Instagram? I am totally unfamiliar with it! All I know about it is that you can post pictures. Do you sign up as your business name or your real name?
Yes I can PM me. I use my business name. Also, my state has a 211 website where I am listed as a provider. See if your state does something similar.
Unregistered 04:10 AM 05-13-2016
Magnetic car sign.....vista print. Very cute choices. Mine was only about $12.00 three years ago. They are large and readable!

If you are in a low income area you would get the highest reimbursement from the food program. The food program makes good financial sense. I know some don't want to hassle with it but I'd never run a fdc without it.
lovemydaycare0912 04:46 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Magnetic car sign.....vista print. Very cute choices. Mine was only about $12.00 three years ago. They are large and readable!

If you are in a low income area you would get the highest reimbursement from the food program. The food program makes good financial sense. I know some don't want to hassle with it but I'd never run a fdc without it.
I agree. That check I get from the food program is fabulous. Plus a lot of places here don't provide food. We may have to fill out daily forms, but its not that bad.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 05-13-2016
I also think the food program is worth it!

Many don't agree feel the suggested menus or foods that are credible are healthy choices but honestly once I figured out what healthy eating really meant, it is super easy to tailor your menus and food options to be healthy and well balanced.
LysesKids 10:23 AM 05-13-2016
I also think the food program is worth it!

Many don't agree feel the suggested menus or foods that are credible are healthy choices but honestly once I figured out what healthy eating really meant, it is super easy to tailor your menus and food options to be healthy and well balanced.
My biggest issue was more that I do infants only & under 12 months always eat on demand; Licensing showed up twice for the first inspections while children were napping 2 years ago when I tried to be on it... between 2 parents refusing to sign up & timing of inspections, it just wasn't worth it for 1 baby - I will not wake even the older one (14 months at the time) to feed a 2nd meal. ( I can only have 4 max at anytime)

They never had issues with my menus & said mine were some of the best she had seen, I really just don't have enough babes to worry about the extra paperwork and it's not like I am full all the time, I'm not. I did figure out how to skip the "extra carbs"
daycarediva 11:31 AM 05-13-2016

Raise your rates. Seriously, if you want to offer discounts, do a sibling or multi-child discount. Otherwise, do NOT try to be the lowest. I am the highest FCC provider in my over saturated area, and am even higher than some centers. I am always full with a waiting list. I am enrolling a year out now. Mid-high end rates net clientele who value your program and give referrals, they are also the clients who put quality over price. I no longer advertise. Word of mouth fills my spaces. I am raising rates in September and will be higher than most area centers.

I have a niche with preschool only, organic, play based literacy curriciulum, developmentally appropriate. I am doing a renovation now that was covered with supply fees. I am torn between continuing FCC or leaving for a less lucrative/less stressful job but IF I continue I am going green throughout my entire program, eliminating plastic, strictly play based.
CityGarden 11:40 AM 05-13-2016
I have not read all the threads but I wanted to chime in, based on what I considered as a parent.

- Most parents I know are not looking the cheapest care. Even those with low incomes more often look for the best quality for the money or the best deal vs the cheapest care.

- I personally raise an eyebrow to the quality of program of the daycare programs that market the most. Those posted to craigslist everyday make me wonder "what is so wrong with them that they always have openings, etc"

- While I am undecided on if I will opt to be part of a food program I do know it is a big draw to parents so I think you should at least consider it.

I am launching my program in the fall and my marketing plan consist of:

Craigslist Ads
Facebook Groups
Local Yahoo Mom Groups
Care.com

I will be hosting and marketing an open house that I would be hosting at my expense. It would be free to come and check out the space and my program, I would have samples of the work we will be doing, some activities for the kids, food and some activities. (Maybe even a bounce house.)

Also I am considering reaching out to local large employers close to me --- sending a flyer / email to them that they can share with their staff. Maybe even offering a promotion to their staff depending on how much I wanted their children as my clients.

I also plan to send an email out to any and everyone I know letting them know I am launching my business and have spots available and asking for referrals.

Another thing once you are established and have good clients I suggest setting up a Yelp page and asking clients to review you on there.
Thriftylady 12:04 PM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I have not read all the threads but I wanted to chime in, based on what I considered as a parent.

- Most parents I know are not looking the cheapest care. Even those with low incomes more often look for the best quality for the money or the best deal vs the cheapest care.

- I personally raise an eyebrow to the quality of program of the daycare programs that market the most. Those posted to craigslist everyday make me wonder "what is so wrong with them that they always have openings, etc"

- While I am undecided on if I will opt to be part of a food program I do know it is a big draw to parents so I think you should at least consider it.

I am launching my program in the fall and my marketing plan consist of:

Craigslist Ads
Facebook Groups
Local Yahoo Mom Groups
Care.com

I will be hosting and marketing an open house that I would be hosting at my expense. It would be free to come and check out the space and my program, I would have samples of the work we will be doing, some activities for the kids, food and some activities. (Maybe even a bounce house.)

Also I am considering reaching out to local large employers close to me --- sending a flyer / email to them that they can share with their staff. Maybe even offering a promotion to their staff depending on how much I wanted their children as my clients.

I also plan to send an email out to any and everyone I know letting them know I am launching my business and have spots available and asking for referrals.

Another thing once you are established and have good clients I suggest setting up a Yelp page and asking clients to review you on there.
I feel the opposite about marketing. I mean I have had two spots open for more than a year that I am looking to fill. I don't get a ton of calls in this area, and I am very picky about the families I accept. So the marketing can be a factor like that. Especially with some providers with a lot of slots. I can't imagine trying to fill 12 in this area.
CityGarden 12:39 AM 05-14-2016
I feel the opposite about marketing. I mean I have had two spots open for more than a year that I am looking to fill. I don't get a ton of calls in this area, and I am very picky about the families I accept. So the marketing can be a factor like that. Especially with some providers with a lot of slots. I can't imagine trying to fill 12 in this area.
I am not saying they are "bad" because they market often but if you are posting on Craigslist everyday/often in high volume... it makes me wonder ----

In my area there are a ton of providers but also a ton of need so when I always see the same 2-3 providers and they are always on Craigslist some posting more than once a day, it does make me pause to wonder why.
LysesKids 03:05 AM 05-14-2016
I am not saying they are "bad" because they market often but if you are posting on Craigslist everyday/often in high volume... it makes me wonder ----

In my area there are a ton of providers but also a ton of need so when I always see the same 2-3 providers and they are always on Craigslist some posting more than once a day, it does make me pause to wonder why.
See, in my area most of us have Fall openings (I have 2 myself when infants age out)... everyone is putting out CL ads now trying to get a bite. It's the licensed homes & centers that are over posting more than the licensed exempt people which makes absolutely zero sense
wonderfullisa 05:17 AM 05-14-2016
When I first started, I only used care.com and sittercity.com.
It took a good year or two to find my way. Now I'm completely full, and have a wait list. Occasionally I post on local FB groups. For instance, my own daughter turns 6 in August, so she will no longer count in my ratios. Yesterday I posted an ad for a FT spot opening September 1st.
I am on CACFP. They used to be smaller ($200-300), but now they are over $700 a month! Definitely worth a couple of minutes on my phone app a day.
KTsKids 07:15 AM 05-14-2016
I've done this and it worked really well! I live less than 2 miles from a hospital so I spoke to their HR department and they allowed me to post flyers in a bunch of the break rooms. I went from struggling to stay full with craigslist ads to having a wait list so long that I've stopped advertising all together! Walmart and Kroger also allowed me to advertise in their break rooms. Some of the I contacted said no, but it was well worth the effort to get the 3 that said yes! And here's an important tip-take your flyers and go to the business to talk to them. If you call or e-mail it's real easy for them to say no. People have a harder time saying no to your face
Tags:advertise, advertising, advertising ideas
Reply Up