Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can't Believe She Did That!!!
hawkfan428 05:29 AM 03-08-2010
Okay, so I posted one other time talking about all of the ridiculous things that go on at the daycare I work at.
Well my boss topped it all the other day. It was picture day...anyone who does picture day already knows it's a stressfull day anyway. Anyway, she decided she wanted to do a staff picture at 8:45 in the morning.
We were all sitting around trying to figure out how she was going to pull that off since pretty much all of the kids were there by then.

Well here's what she did...
She had her mom come in and watch the 6 babies that we had while we went to another room to have our picture taken. ALL of the other kids in the center (ages 14 month-5 years old) were left in their rooms BY THEMSELVES!
We were probably gone for 10 minutes!

What if something would have happened!?!? What if a parent walked in to drop off a kid and saw there were no teachers. I've been so mad since Thursday. Some people should not be allowed to operate daycares!
JennyBoo 07:11 AM 03-08-2010
WOW, is all I can say about this. That is unbelievable especially in a licensed childcare facility. That is not right at all, the children can never be left alone at any time - no wonder you are upset. I always hated picture day - so stressful, but you make it work with what you have - and this stunt should have been addressed because the daycare could loose their license.

I agree that this person should not be operating a daycare - is there any other staff members that feel the same? Is there anyone higher up that you can talk to and let them know this heppened?

My personal opinion is that this cannot be let go, I cannot imagine what other things this person is doing that no one knows about.

I am glad I don't work there. Hope things work out for you!

Hugs
Persephone 07:14 AM 03-08-2010
OMG! How many kids were there? That is so not right!

Where were the other care givers? I can understand one at a time taking the kids to do the photos.

Where were you during this time?
MarinaVanessa 08:55 AM 03-08-2010
What I can't believe is that she would be willing to risk the safety of those children let alone her license. So much can happen in that time. Why not schedule the staff 30 minutes early for the staff photo? You should also think about how if something might have happened you and the other staff members could have also been held accountable. It shows a complete disregard to the kids and you (the staff).
Crystal 09:48 AM 03-08-2010
You're a mandated reporter. Report it to licensing.
momma2girls 10:08 AM 03-08-2010
I totally agree with you!!
hawkfan428 11:19 AM 03-08-2010
Yeah...I've been there for 6 months or so and I have never worked in a more rediculous place.
Here's the thing...how do I go about reporting? I obviously have to tell them that I'm a staff member right? There are about 9 of on staff and I kind of think my boss might figure out it was me.
I hate the job, but LOVE my little munchkins and feel bad leaving them. I've actually had a dad tell me they would bring their little guy to me if I opened a home daycare. I'd like to, but our house is really small and I don't know if it's worth going though licensing.
I live in a small town with only 2 daycares. The other one isn't hiring right now, but I think I might put an application in anyway.

It just makes me SO mad. Something so bad could have happened and she didn't care at all. She just wanted a staff picture.

I agree with whoever said that she should have had us do it before or after work. No joke! I've never worked somewhere like this before.

And also...there is no higher up. She's the owner and director.
I could probably write a 2 page list of everything wrong that she does.
Persephone 12:32 PM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by hawkfan428:
Yeah...I've been there for 6 months or so and I have never worked in a more rediculous place.
Here's the thing...how do I go about reporting? I obviously have to tell them that I'm a staff member right? There are about 9 of on staff and I kind of think my boss might figure out it was me.
I hate the job, but LOVE my little munchkins and feel bad leaving them. I've actually had a dad tell me they would bring their little guy to me if I opened a home daycare. I'd like to, but our house is really small and I don't know if it's worth going though licensing.
I live in a small town with only 2 daycares. The other one isn't hiring right now, but I think I might put an application in anyway.

It just makes me SO mad. Something so bad could have happened and she didn't care at all. She just wanted a staff picture.

I agree with whoever said that she should have had us do it before or after work. No joke! I've never worked somewhere like this before.

And also...there is no higher up. She's the owner and director.
I could probably write a 2 page list of everything wrong that she does.
I didn't realize in your first post that it was for the staff photo. I thought you meant just the kids photos. The place I worked never done a staff only photo.

I know what you mean about being worried about being fired. When I worked in a center I worked for a women like your boss. She shouldn't have been in a child care center. She basically had the job as director because of her college degree, which was not in child development.

We all worried about turning her in because we could be fired. I don't think that you would have to say that you are staff there.

Do you know who the person is who comes in to do your state checks? We knew ours, 'Bob' and he even made sure that his contact info was hanging in the building where parents could see it to contact him if needed. He had an email address.

I'm sure you can find the info you need online on your state.org site. That's where I'd find mine. I'd either call or email. You could use a different email address, make one from yahoo just for that.

And I know that other daycare you have in town will be hiring at some point, I'm sure you know from the time you worked at the one your at, turn over is high at daycares. Plus summer is coming up and if anything they might be looking for extra summer help.
MarinaVanessa 01:27 PM 03-08-2010
There's several ways you could go about it. If someone has left there (got fired or quit) you can call licensing and say that you used to work there but choose to stay anonymous. You could also just call and get the licensors email if it isn't posted and not say your name and do like it says above and make up an email and report it that way.

In any case if she finds out it was you she can't fire you for doing your job. That would open her up for a lawsuit for wrongful termination. Then again she could also face hefty fines and even closure or revocation of her license if there are serious things going on wrong there.
hawkfan428 05:13 PM 03-08-2010
Can anyone help me find an e-mail address. I keep looking on the DSFS website, but I must be blind. Any help would be appreciated.
Crystal 06:10 PM 03-08-2010
Can anyone help me find an e-mail address. I keep looking on the DSFS website, but I must be blind. Any help would be appreciated.
What County and State do you live in?
Crystal 06:13 PM 03-08-2010
Well, if there are only two centers in your area, and there is a need for QUALITY child care, why don't you open a family chlidcare program? It's worth considering!
hawkfan428 04:59 AM 03-09-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
What County and State do you live in?
Christian County, Illinois
Crystal 06:14 AM 03-09-2010
http://www.state.il.us/dcfs/contactUs.shtml

I'd start by calling the daycare info line, and ask them what they suggest.
hawkfan428 10:17 AM 03-10-2010
Just wanted to let you all know I sent a letter to DCFS annonymously today. Crossing my fingers something comes of it.
momma2girls 10:23 AM 03-10-2010
Just wanted to let you all know I sent a letter to DCFS annonymously today. Crossing my fingers something comes of it.
Keep us all informed!! Good luck!!! I would try and open your own in your area!!
Persephone 11:56 AM 03-10-2010
Good for you! What did you put in the letter?
booroo 01:26 PM 03-10-2010
Im so glad that you reported this to the state. Wonderful.

But if you have already been told that you would have 1 client, then whats to say you couldn't get more. If there is a need, then do it. Just because the space is small, doesnt mean you cant make it work. If you get big enough and have enough clients then you consider a bigger house, or a different facility.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
hawkfan428 11:51 AM 03-15-2010
So far I haven't heard anything back from the state. Today the boss decided that since we were short staffed in the baby room she would have our after school helper (who is a senior in High School) just skip school and work all day. Yup. Rediculous.

I have a friend who just bought a building and she's hoping to have it up and running by summer, so I plan to go with her when it opens.
Persephone 11:59 AM 03-15-2010
So far I haven't heard anything back from the state. Today the boss decided that since we were short staffed in the baby room she would have our after school helper (who is a senior in High School) just skip school and work all day. Yup. Rediculous.

I have a friend who just bought a building and she's hoping to have it up and running by summer, so I plan to go with her when it opens.
WHAT!!?? Now I'm not sure but don't you have to be like 21 to work in the baby room?

I can't believe that she asked the girl to skip school! What did the girl tell the school why she was out?
hawkfan428 03:12 PM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
WHAT!!?? Now I'm not sure but don't you have to be like 21 to work in the baby room?

I can't believe that she asked the girl to skip school! What did the girl tell the school why she was out?
I don't know the Illinois rule on that. I'm originally from Iowa and they could work in the room as long as there's an adult in the room. So if it's the same then that part was okay because I was in there.

The school part was the thing that floored me. I've never heard of a boss asking a kid to skip school. I have no idea what she told the school, but it that would've been me my parent's would've been pissed and never would have let me do that!
hawkfan428 03:52 PM 03-17-2010
Yesterday I got to work and my co-worker said, "DCFS is coming today. Apparently someone found out about the staff picture and turned (insert boss's name) in!"
I just went along with it because everyone thinks it was a parent.
Our boss was telling one of her favorite staff all about it and trying to figure out who it was. The staff person asked her if she thought she'd get in trouble and she said something along the lines of, "I've gotten turned in lots of times but I always get off".
Well...if they came yesterday I never saw them. I have a feeling she ended up just talking with them on the phone and weasling her way out of it. It really sucks because crap that like happens all the time and she really needs to get busted for some of this stuff.
booroo 12:22 PM 03-18-2010
Yesterday I got to work and my co-worker said, "DCFS is coming today. Apparently someone found out about the staff picture and turned (insert boss's name) in!"
I just went along with it because everyone thinks it was a parent.
Our boss was telling one of her favorite staff all about it and trying to figure out who it was. The staff person asked her if she thought she'd get in trouble and she said something along the lines of, "I've gotten turned in lots of times but I always get off".
Well...if they came yesterday I never saw them. I have a feeling she ended up just talking with them on the phone and weasling her way out of it. It really sucks because crap that like happens all the time and she really needs to get busted for some of this stuff.
This is so wrong!!! Before we moved, our daycare in MT, got away with so much. I cant even begin to tell you how much. It was scary the crap that was going on at that facility. The daycare facility is still running to this day. The state really needs to get after these people, and they need to do unexcepted visit in my opionion.
Just keep documnet and keep track of all her questionable ablity to run a daycare, then turn it all over.
MarinaVanessa 10:42 AM 03-19-2010
In CA any time that anyone calls the state on a provider it stays on record even if it was dropped or un-founded no matter how rediculous. Is it not the same there? What I mean is let's say that I had 3 parents call to complain about something (thankfully no on ever has, phew) and they were un-founded other people could still look up my license number and see that I have had complaints and read about them and see that they were dropped. Do things like that not show up in your state?

I mean if I were a parent and looked up a license for a daycare and saw that they had like 13 complaints and stuff about the same thing or even different things I'd be wary.
mac60 11:04 AM 03-19-2010
That just doesn't seem very fair, right, or ethical......that reports stay on a provider even when they are unfounded. Some parents are total jerks, and just like to stir up trouble.......just another reason I will never do this job and be licensed.
Tags:dcfs, letter, stress, unprofessional
Reply Up