Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Storing snow gear for 5 kids?!
bluemoose_mom 05:32 AM 10-03-2012
I have a rather large closet, but it's already mostly full with dck coats, and my families coats. I now need to have room for 5 kid's full snow gear...any idea's beyond an old walmart bag on a hanger? Having it in a bag like that won't let things dry properly.

For those of you who need to, what's your system?
canadiancare 05:37 AM 10-03-2012
my front hall just looks like crap 5 days a week.

I have a low hanging coat rack with hooks for the daycare kids along one wall with rubber mats for the boots.

my laundry is off the front hall so I just come in and throw their mittens and wet stuff right into the dryer then it goes into their sleeves.
Meyou 05:43 AM 10-03-2012
I have a row of 8 hooks with two large rubber mats underneath. I can fit snowsuits and backpacks all hung up in a row.
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 10-03-2012
Sorry, I am no help. I have a separate coat room with individual cubbies/lockers for each child. Allows their things to be hung on hooks for easy access and easy drying.

Maybe a coat tree? Or even one of those foldable drying racks for laundry. It has several bars so you could drape at least 5 childrens coats/snowpants over them and when it is not daycare hours, you can fold it up and store it in your closet or behind a door.
MNMum 09:03 AM 10-03-2012
I put 4 large 3M contact strip hooks on the wall and snowsuits hang there. I put the mittens loosely in the sleeve, so they dried, hat loosely in a leg.
DBug 09:25 AM 10-03-2012
I use 6 foot tall, cheap Walmart bookshelves . We only put the top and bottom shelf in. Hubby added 2 hooks, one on the inside of each side panel (so the hooks face each other), and he reinforced the bottom shelves. Each dck gets a basket on the top shelf for artwork, extra clothes, etc, and the space under the bottom shelf is for shoes or boots (there's space for 2 or 3 pairs per kid). We hang backpacks, snowpants, coats, hats and mitts on the hook, or hats & mitts can just be laid on the bottom shelf. The bottom shelf works as a bench, too.

Cheap & easy, and quite effective! There's lots of space for belongings, and I have mine set up in a square shape to create a separate entrance at the daycare door. You'd need 3 bookcases to accomodate 5 or 6 kids, but imo it's totally worth the real estate to have everyone's belongings organized and relatively dry by the end of the day.
littlemissmuffet 09:36 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
I have a rather large closet, but it's already mostly full with dck coats, and my families coats. I now need to have room for 5 kid's full snow gear...any idea's beyond an old walmart bag on a hanger? Having it in a bag like that won't let things dry properly.

For those of you who need to, what's your system?

I have a row of 6 double coat hooks and a second row of 6 double coat hooks beneath it at the front entrance of my home (I only have 6 kiddos). That leaves each child with 4 hooks, one on top the other - it's quite compact and doesn't look junky at all. There is a photo of each child above their hook so they know which is theirs.
One hook has snow pants, one has their jacket, one with spare sweaters, and another with scarves, etc. I store all hats and mitts in the sleeve of their jackets.
There is a mat below the hooks so when their clothing is wet/drying, the floor doesn't get all mucky.

Works like a charm.
Reply Up