Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stuttering Out of the Blue
hope 10:21 AM 01-08-2016
I have a dcg age 2 and she just started stuttering the other day. Not sure if you would even call it stuttering. She will say "I want, I want, I want, I want, I want the toy". She gets stuck on a word or a few words and it sounds like she can't stop. This came out of no where. Parents noticed it 2 days ago and asked me . I had her 2 days ago and i do remember her repeating words over and over again that day. Now today it is really bad. Dcm is calling the doctor now. Any thoughts? Not that I am trying to diagnose, just trying to get a feel if it is urgent or we are all over reacting.
Cat Herder 11:17 AM 01-08-2016
I would recommend she be seen as well.
TXhomedaycare 11:22 AM 01-08-2016
My son did the same thing at 2 yo and a little at 3 yo and he has never done it since. My sons doctor told me not to worry about it since it was common for his age (especially if it is the beginning of a sentence ). He grew out of it.
Ariana 02:49 PM 01-08-2016
Could just be that her little mind is going faster than her mouth can catch up. My daughter used to do this too. I would remind her to stop take a breath and start again, or to slow down. This helped a lot. I agree with having her evaluated by a dr though just to rule out anything neurological since it seemed to come on so suddenly.
284878 02:02 PM 01-10-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
My son did the same thing at 2 yo and a little at 3 yo and he has never done it since. My sons doctor told me not to worry about it since it was common for his age (especially if it is the beginning of a sentence ). He grew out of it.
I was told this was common. Their little brains are trying to keep up and form a sentence. If the child does not grow out of it then it would be a concern.
jenboo 05:39 AM 01-11-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I was told this was common. Their little brains are trying to keep up and form a sentence. If the child does not grow out of it then it would be a concern.

Its very common for this age!
permanentvacation 05:52 AM 01-11-2016
It is common at that age because like someone else said, their brain thinks faster than their mouth can form the words.

However, it could be a neurological problem. And it could be from the child being nervous or afraid.

I would try to get the child to slow down and get his thoughts together before speaking. If he continues to stutter, I would suggest that he be taken to a doctor. However, he is too young to let anyone know if something has happened to make him nervous or afraid. So if that's the reason, it would be harder to be properly diagnosed.
hope 04:20 PM 01-11-2016
To update, dcm took dcg to pediatrition and they ruled out anything worrisome. She has a well visit at the end of the month so they will monitor. Today she only stuttered once so I feel kind of silly worrying. Thank you all for the feedback though!!!!
Tags:stuttering
Reply Up