Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any Of You Have Any Side Businesses?
WDW 02:02 PM 05-04-2011
I have considered adding something like party planning, or doing laundry for my families who were interested... for an extra fee. Just a way to make a little extra money.... anyone ever tried anything like this?
nannyde 02:06 PM 05-04-2011
I'm the "Daycarewhisperer" on this obscure little board called daycare.com
and I have a Child Care Consultant business
momma2girls 02:11 PM 05-04-2011
I am a Scentsy director and have been for 3 yrs. now, and absolutely love it!!! If anyone would like to see what Scentsy is just check out Scentsy.com and peek thru a catalog. It is flameless and wickless candles, sprays, tins, scent packs, etc... etc... in 80 different scents to choose from.
daycare 02:13 PM 05-04-2011
I do personal training nights and weekends when needed... I only train groups pf two or more two times a week/end
melskids 02:14 PM 05-04-2011
i used to sell mary kay.

i've thought about making dinner for the dc families...they come in and smell whats cooking and threaten to stay for supper...lol
daycare 02:17 PM 05-04-2011
I think that I would be catious about offering another service like cooking or laundry to your DCP becuase their first thought would be............if you are doing my cooking and laundry when are you watching the kids??
harperluu 02:18 PM 05-04-2011
I'm a freelance writer and sell books online. I've also done scoring for Pearson in the Spring.
AfterSchoolMom 02:26 PM 05-04-2011
I pet sit on weekends and vacations. It actually pays better than child care, and I NEVER have issues with pet owners the way I do with parents! If it were more stable I'd do that full time in a heartbeat.
momofboys 02:42 PM 05-04-2011
I score standardized exams through Pearson Education. I am training right now to begin scoring. This is my 3rd year scoring with them & I really enjoy the work & the extra $$$.
momofboys 02:43 PM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
I'm a freelance writer and sell books online. I've also done scoring for Pearson in the Spring.
Me too! Is this your 1st year grading with them? If you ever have any questions, please ask me. Sometimes it can seem lonely when you are going at it alone at home.
cheerfuldom 03:39 PM 05-04-2011
I sell hand sewn items. Right now I am really into making handbags
emosks 04:32 PM 05-04-2011
I have an Etsy store where I sell children's items that are hand sewn.
Sugar Magnolia 04:34 PM 05-04-2011
My husband (also a teacher @ our center) teaches violin (4 and 5 year olds). Unrelated, I do historical designations for buildings and other structures (our center is in a historic home too).
PitterPatter 05:03 PM 05-04-2011
I make crafts (plastic canvas mainly) and crochet. I don't get much time to do this only weekends and evenings sometimes so I just stitch away and when I have enough I set up a table at a craft fair or church. I do take orders as well but it's usually only a handful of people returning. Plastic canvas seems to be fading away and crochet no one appreciates the time and money that goes into the items. A lot of people want dollar store prices "I can get a hat and scarf at the dollar store for $5" Ok go ahead and get that then and let me know how that works for ya.
countrymom 06:08 PM 05-04-2011
I make hairbows and accessories for kids (mostly girls)
Former Teacher 06:14 PM 05-04-2011
I do babysitting jobs on the side. That way if I can set and choose my own hours etc
Michael 06:49 PM 05-04-2011
Pammie started a thread last year on the subject: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14918
WDW 06:51 PM 05-04-2011
Thank you everyone! You have definitely given me some food for thought! Thanks for the link Michael! I love this site!
jen2651 08:45 PM 05-04-2011
I would love to try my hand at the online scoring with Pearson. Those who are involved, could you assist a potential newby?!
MyAngels 09:27 PM 05-04-2011
A couple of other threads on this subject:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22224

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23824
melskids 02:33 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think that I would be catious about offering another service like cooking or laundry to your DCP becuase their first thought would be............if you are doing my cooking and laundry when are you watching the kids??
well, i gotta cook for their kids at lunch, so i could just double the recipe, and package it then.
Meyou 03:55 AM 05-05-2011
I do custom sewing work that interests me.
momofboys 05:56 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
I would love to try my hand at the online scoring with Pearson. Those who are involved, could you assist a potential newby?!
I'll send you a PM
Lilbutterflie 06:29 AM 05-05-2011
I also pet sit on the side. I agree that it can make a lot more money than daycare if I was able to get more clients and if the business was more consistent.
SilverSabre25 06:40 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I'll send you a PM
me too?!? Please?
dEHmom 07:13 AM 05-05-2011
i know it sounds yucky but....

2 times a year, our town/city does a cleanup. Everyone puts all their junk to the curb. Majority of people put out good stuff they don't want, and know others could/would use. like highchairs, vacuums, beds, etc. they separate the garbage from the "junk", so people aren't ripping garbage bags open.
My husband does scrap metal so he often goes for the scrap, but we find lots of great items like bikes, furniture etc.

DH also goes to auctions, and he gets lucky and always gets free stuff from coworkers, and family, he even got a free car!!!! that ran and everything. Once he paid $50 bucks for an old cop car (no lights or decals on it) and sold it for 500. the free car he sold for like 400 or something.

He's very good at profiting off of other peoples crap He is always searching through kijiji and the used sites.

I have considered making bibs, bag bags, and other things and selling them but never have.

I have successfully raised ADF's and considered selling them to the local pet shops, or online, but they are so hard to raise, that I could never part with them. African Dwarf frogs are completely aquatic, and full grown reach 1.5 -2 inches. so just imagine the size of the tadpoles (about the size of a speck of pepper at hatchout).

I make huge batches of perogies sometimes and sell them to friends. I used to do peoples nails for a small charge compared to what you would pay to the nail salons, so more people chose to come to me
seashell 07:25 AM 05-05-2011
I sell Barefoot Books (Children's books) at home parties, baby showers, etc. I do alot with daycare centers as fundraisers and via online parties for fundraisers and for children's birthday registries.

Anyone want to book an online fundraiser for your daycare? It's easy and free and you get free books for the kids!

http://thebarefootbooknook.wordpress.com/
greenhouse 11:26 AM 05-05-2011
Tag sales, goodwill, flea markets- sell on ebay whatever I can. I just started my daycare and have no clients yet, I'm actually doing pretty well and am considering doing this exclusively. The problem is it's just not steady enough sometimes.
momofboys 11:34 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
me too?!? Please?
Sending you a PM
jessrlee 11:39 AM 05-05-2011
I do craft fairs. I make magnetic paper doll sets, cards for all occasions, personalized window clings, baby bottle and sippy cup labels, all kids of things depending on where and when it is. I love it! I am getting ready to open up an Etsy to see if my cards and dolls sell well there.
lil angels 11:41 AM 05-05-2011
Could you send me a pm to I would maybe be interested in that to.
Cat Herder 11:53 AM 05-05-2011
CPR / PALS / ACLS Instructor
Vol. FF / S&R
MamaBear 12:51 PM 05-05-2011
I sell a lot of stuff on Ebay. Its a great way to make some extra money!
daycare 01:02 PM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I sell a lot of stuff on Ebay. Its a great way to make some extra money!
myhusband and I are thinking about selling some stuff online that we have... but were not sure which was better ebay or amazon?
Mom_of_two 01:09 PM 05-05-2011
I don't do anything on the side. Sounds like lots of you are doing some neat things, though.

The one thing I might consider regarding offering to do laundry for daycare families or something like that, to me it might appear to place you more in the role of 'hired help' and 'their employee' as opposed to their child care provider, which might not be the outcome you want. Not sure if that makes sense, but for me personally I keep it friendly, but business. It is basically telling them you are hurting financially to begin to offer other services (imo). I would not feel comfortable with that. Unless it might be built into your policy or something that you offer that along with child care? I can't even do my own laundry during the day-lol!

Hope that made sense and did not sound judgmental- gotta do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. Regarding side business And daycare business though, think carefully and all that.
Michael 01:20 PM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
myhusband and I are thinking about selling some stuff online that we have... but were not sure which was better ebay or amazon?
I would say ebay but why not use both?
grandmom 02:33 PM 05-05-2011
I clean houses, weed gardens, and care for children.

As for caring for children after hours, check out care.com - I make about $20 an hour from customers from this site.
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm the "Daycarewhisperer" on this obscure little board called daycare.com
and I have a Child Care Consultant business
Nan, just out of curiosity, are you paid to 'whisper' shall we say?
countrymom 05:16 PM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
i know it sounds yucky but....

2 times a year, our town/city does a cleanup. Everyone puts all their junk to the curb. Majority of people put out good stuff they don't want, and know others could/would use. like highchairs, vacuums, beds, etc. they separate the garbage from the "junk", so people aren't ripping garbage bags open.
My husband does scrap metal so he often goes for the scrap, but we find lots of great items like bikes, furniture etc.

DH also goes to auctions, and he gets lucky and always gets free stuff from coworkers, and family, he even got a free car!!!! that ran and everything. Once he paid $50 bucks for an old cop car (no lights or decals on it) and sold it for 500. the free car he sold for like 400 or something.

He's very good at profiting off of other peoples crap He is always searching through kijiji and the used sites.

I have considered making bibs, bag bags, and other things and selling them but never have.

I have successfully raised ADF's and considered selling them to the local pet shops, or online, but they are so hard to raise, that I could never part with them. African Dwarf frogs are completely aquatic, and full grown reach 1.5 -2 inches. so just imagine the size of the tadpoles (about the size of a speck of pepper at hatchout).

I make huge batches of perogies sometimes and sell them to friends. I used to do peoples nails for a small charge compared to what you would pay to the nail salons, so more people chose to come to me
I think I have your dh's long lost brother, I married him. Its crazy what dh comes home with, he's known as a "flipper" I think today he has tires outside.
nannyde 05:42 PM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nan, just out of curiosity, are you paid to 'whisper' shall we say?
yes of course
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
yes of course
I'm a little slow in this area but I am just wondering because I have a couple friends who have blogs and I always hear people talk about how they make so much money doing on-line blogs about whatever and I just don't understand how people make money doing it..... Is it from advertising on the blog? I hear everyday about women who strike it rich that way and I am just like ????? how?
harperluu 08:46 AM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
You just have to go to the Pearson website and apply. Most of the scoring is in the spring, but they have projects all year long. They send out surveys periodically to see if your skills meet their needs. Some years I have been selected and some years not. It just depends on what they need. Applying on their site is the first step.
nannyde 09:54 AM 05-06-2011
I'm a little slow in this area but I am just wondering because I have a couple friends who have blogs and I always hear people talk about how they make so much money doing on-line blogs about whatever and I just don't understand how people make money doing it..... Is it from advertising on the blog? I hear everyday about women who strike it rich that way and I am just like ????? how?
Get a big fish like daycare.com to "sponsor" you.
momofboys 10:07 AM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Could you send me a pm to I would maybe be interested in that to.
Here's the link to apply for anyone who is interested:

http://www.flexiblescoring-act.pears...?a=cat&cid=918

They do have year-round projects although their busy time is in the spring I have scored one project for them in late fall.
JaydensMommy 07:39 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by seashell:
I sell Barefoot Books (Children's books) at home parties, baby showers, etc. I do alot with daycare centers as fundraisers and via online parties for fundraisers and for children's birthday registries.

Anyone want to book an online fundraiser for your daycare? It's easy and free and you get free books for the kids!

http://thebarefootbooknook.wordpress.com/
I know this is old, but wondering if you could tell me more about barefoot books, do you make decent money doing it? How does it work? Thanks.
AnneCordelia 08:05 AM 07-20-2011
I teach piano lessons on the weekend. Once my own kids are older and not going to bed at 7:00 every night then I'm hoping to phase out the daycare and phrase in full-time teaching on weeknight evenings. Better $$ per hour, much less physical work but still working with kids.
dEHmom 08:07 AM 07-20-2011
Michael did an interview for domainsherpa that explains alot about this stuff. I'm not sure exactly how it would be for a blog, but I imagine a lot of what he said on the interview could be used.

I believe the money is all from the advertising. But to manage a blog I think would take a lot of work. I wish I could be rich from a blog too lol.
Alexandra 05:28 PM 07-29-2011
I make and sell my own soy candles.
momma2girls 06:22 AM 07-30-2011
I sell Scentsy and have for over 3 yrs. now and love it- are their any Scentsy addicts out there? If you haven't heard of it- check it out scentsy.com you will love it all- pm me if interested!!! Great money in it!!! Also great products!!!
actaktmdt 12:27 PM 07-30-2011
I'm the church admin assistant but I don't do much. I'm gearing up to team up with a gal who designs botique childrens clothing. She's trying to go bigger than what she is. I'm super excited about it.
Auntie 04:49 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I sell Scentsy and have for over 3 yrs. now and love it- are their any Scentsy addicts out there? If you haven't heard of it- check it out scentsy.com you will love it all- pm me if interested!!! Great money in it!!! Also great products!!!
Scentsy is WONDERFUL if you all have not tried it I suggest you do so. The Scents are amazing. I have even order scents just from the description out of the catalog and was pleased with the scent when it arrived. You can pretty much trust the description of the scent.
Danielle 07:07 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by Auntie:
Scentsy is WONDERFUL if you all have not tried it I suggest you do so. The Scents are amazing. I have even order scents just from the description out of the catalog and was pleased with the scent when it arrived. You can pretty much trust the description of the scent.
I agree! I LOVE Scentsy! My only problem is I have 3 friends selling it.
BentleysBands 04:46 AM 08-01-2011
WWW.Facebook.com/Bentleysbands
WWW.etsy.com/shop/Bentleysbands

I make custom children an pet items
mac60 05:27 AM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
WWW.Facebook.com/Bentleysbands
WWW.etsy.com/shop/Bentleysbands

I make custom children an pet items
Hi Bently Bands...glad to see you back. What talent you have. I had no idea you did all these.
Tags:other income, second job
Reply Up