Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Very Serious Question...
CheekyChick 09:37 AM 07-20-2011
Can we talk toilet paper and paper towels?

With 16 little ones (3/4's are toilet trained or in the process of toilet training), my assistants, and my family - we go through a TON of toilet paper and paper towels each month. It has become VERY costly.

Does anyone use the (commercial type) toilet paper and paper towels that you see in public restrooms? If so, do the rolls/paper towels last a long time? Is it worth the investment to buy the dispensers and paper products? Lastly, if any of you use this type of toilet paper/paper towels, where do you order them from?

Thanks for your input.
Childminder 09:43 AM 07-20-2011
I use scott tissue cause it is gentler on our septic system. I know that northern and the other "soft" ones can clog it to easily. I do use the commercial towels and get them and the scott tissue from our local Warehouse club and GFS. They sell the dispensers too.
wdmmom 09:45 AM 07-20-2011
You usually don't have to order these products. Find a warehouse in your area like Sam's or Costco.

I refuse to downgrade in the TP department but I use generic paper towels and they work great! If I had more kids I might even consider getting an air dryer!

Another good alternative is to buy a bunch of washclothes. Walmart usually has a bulk pack of 10 for $2 or $3. Let the kids use the washclothes as a towel to dry their hands and toss in a basket to wash. I'd rather wash, dry and fold washclothes everyday.
Meeko 09:46 AM 07-20-2011
I just buy Sams Club brand in bulk and try and teach the children that they don't need one roll per bathroom visit.....sigh......
CheekyChick 09:47 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I use scott tissue cause it is gentler on our septic system. I know that northern and the other "soft" ones can clog it to easily. I do use the commercial towels and get them and the scott tissue from our local Warehouse club and GFS. They sell the dispensers too.
When you say Warehouse club, do you mean Costco or Sam's? If so, I've never thought of looking there. Thank you for the suggestion.
Country Kids 09:49 AM 07-20-2011
When I have a little one going into the bathroom I take the tissue off first and put it within their reach. That has worked wonders for us! Same with the papertowels-I give them what they need. Little ones really only need about 1.
CheekyChick 10:01 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
You usually don't have to order these products. Find a warehouse in your area like Sam's or Costco.

I refuse to downgrade in the TP department but I use generic paper towels and they work great! If I had more kids I might even consider getting an air dryer!

Another good alternative is to buy a bunch of washclothes. Walmart usually has a bulk pack of 10 for $2 or $3. Let the kids use the washclothes as a towel to dry their hands and toss in a basket to wash. I'd rather wash, dry and fold washclothes everyday.
I LOVE the air dryer idea. I am going to do a web search and see what that would cost. I also like the idea of having a basket of wash clothes sitting in both restrooms that the children can use to dry their hands. I think I need to head off to Walmart this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions!
CheekyChick 10:03 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I just buy Sams Club brand in bulk and try and teach the children that they don't need one roll per bathroom visit.....sigh......
That is a frequent problem here. I've had to unclog many a toilets over the years. LOL!!!
CheekyChick 10:05 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
When I have a little one going into the bathroom I take the tissue off first and put it within their reach. That has worked wonders for us! Same with the papertowels-I give them what they need. Little ones really only need about 1.
Great idea. Just give them the amount they need and not let them help themselves. I think that alone will save me a ton of money. Thanks.
DaycareMama 10:06 AM 07-20-2011
I just switched to the commercial brand from sams club and am very happy. If I recall I bought a box of 4000 paper towels for $25 and a dispenser for $20. The paper towels have lasted in the bathroom and kitchen for 3 months now and I still have half left. We are a total 12 using them. My assistant is also very wasteful with them and I still think im saving.

The prices above were for the 3 fold towels you see in restrooms. Hope this helps

oh and I am also thinking about getting the commercial toliet paper from there to. Prices are similar. But I do like the idea of putting the tp out prior for the kids
CheekyChick 10:10 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I just switched to the commercial brand from sams club and am very happy. If I recall I bought a box of 4000 paper towels for $25 and a dispenser for $20. The paper towels have lasted in the bathroom and kitchen for 3 months now and I still have half left. We are a total 12 using them. My assistant is also very wasteful with them and I still think im saving.

The prices above were for the 3 fold towels you see in restrooms. Hope this helps

oh and I am also thinking about getting the commercial toliet paper from there to. Prices are similar. But I do like the idea of putting the tp out prior for the kids
3 months??? Wow!!! That's awesome!!!

Sadly, there isn't a Sam's Club in my state and the nearest Costco is fairly far away. I think I will have to make the drive to see what they have.
Pammie 10:17 AM 07-20-2011
You can actually shop samsclub.com - they have more online than they do in the stores - and prices are very reasonable:-))

Like PP I use Scott tp that I buy at Sam's. Any other brand seems to clog the pipes

I gave up using paper towels about a year ago. I was going thru about a roll/day - even the Bounty Select-A-Size ones! I use all cloth towels that I got at IKEA. Each towel has an attached colored hanger-hook - every child has their own color in the bathroom. I put a fresh set out each morning, and take them down after closing each afternoon. I have 5 sets - one for each day of the week - and then wash/bleach them on the weekends:-))
MG&Lsmom 10:22 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I gave up using paper towels about a year ago. I was going thru about a roll/day - even the Bounty Select-A-Size ones! I use all cloth towels that I got at IKEA. Each towel has an attached colored hanger-hook - every child has their own color in the bathroom. I put a fresh set out each morning, and take them down after closing each afternoon. I have 5 sets - one for each day of the week - and then wash/bleach them on the weekends:-))
This is exactly what I do too! I love those little washcloths! And I put up those little Command hooks and labeled each one so the kids just hang up their little towel when done.

We do use Bounty Select a size in the kitchen tho. I tried using cheaper ones and you end up just using 2-3x more towels to do the same job.
MissAnn 10:31 AM 07-20-2011
I use all cloth towels that I got at IKEA. Each towel has an attached colored hanger-hook - every child has their own color in the bathroom. I put a fresh set out each morning, and take them down after closing each afternoon. I have 5 sets - one for each day of the week - and then wash/bleach them on the weekends:-))
Wow! I'm surprised licensing lets you do that. We have to use 1 use towels. We can wash them and re-use, but we can't leave one hanging to use over and over. Really not sure I'd want to.
MG&Lsmom 10:43 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Wow! I'm surprised licensing lets you do that. We have to use 1 use towels. We can wash them and re-use, but we can't leave one hanging to use over and over. Really not sure I'd want to.
Massachusetts licensing says single user for 1 day per cloth towel. If they get too wet or really dirty I change them during the day.
Meeko 10:53 AM 07-20-2011
I have 16 kids...so no room to hang 16 towels! We use paper towels.
CheekyChick 11:23 AM 07-20-2011
You can actually shop samsclub.com - they have more online than they do in the stores - and prices are very reasonable:-))

Like PP I use Scott tp that I buy at Sam's. Any other brand seems to clog the pipes

That is a great idea. Sadly, I can only do a one-use towel. I figure I can buy a bunch of them and just let the children grab a new one each time. In the long run, that is still much less expensive than what I'm paying now.
actaktmdt 12:50 PM 07-20-2011
What about getting "unpaper towles" ill post link when kids are gone
SilverSabre25 12:56 PM 07-20-2011
The towels from Ikea are a great idea. I'll have to get down there soon.

I've also been considering the towels and dispenser from Sam's.

Thanks to whoever suggested ripping the TP off for them and leaving it in their reach. This will work perfectly for me. I have one who recently lost the right to go to the bathroom without letting me know, so I can do that for him.
CheekyChick 01:20 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
What about getting "unpaper towles" ill post link when kids are gone
Thanks. I can't wait to read about what an "unpaper" towel is.
DCMom 01:21 PM 07-20-2011
I use the Pom brand from Sam's Club for the daycare; I teach the kids to count squares. For most trips, the # of square per year of age as a general rule. It helps give them a visual of how much they should use. They aren't limited to that of course, but it helps them stay focused when they are yanking the tp roll, lol.

For paper towels, I recently put up a commercial dispenser from Sam's Club. I have 14 kids everyday in the summer, so paper makes my life easier! So far I like it. I will probably go back to the cheap Walmart washclothes when school starts again; I really do like that method for the preschoolers and they love to fold them!
CheekyChick 01:22 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
The towels from Ikea are a great idea. I'll have to get down there soon.

I've also been considering the towels and dispenser from Sam's.

Thanks to whoever suggested ripping the TP off for them and leaving it in their reach. This will work perfectly for me. I have one who recently lost the right to go to the bathroom without letting me know, so I can do that for him.
The closest Ikea to me is 2 hours away. If you go there, can you post what they cost? If they're inexpensive and good quality, it might be worth the trip. Plus, it would give me an excuse to have a swedish meatball lunch.
SilverSabre25 01:24 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
The closest Ikea to me is 2 hours away. If you go there, can you post what they cost? If they're inexpensive and good quality, it might be worth the trip. Plus, it would give me an excuse to have a swedish meatball lunch.
Sure, but it'll be awhile. My closest Ikea is 2 hours away, too. E Daycare lives right by one though IIRC.
CheekyChick 01:24 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I use the Pom brand from Sam's Club for the daycare; I teach the kids to count squares. For most trips, the # of square per year of age as a general rule. It helps give them a visual of how much they should use. They aren't limited to that of course, but it helps them stay focused when they are yanking the tp roll, lol.

For paper towels, I recently put up a commercial dispenser from Sam's Club. I have 14 kids everyday in the summer, so paper makes my life easier! So far I like it. I will probably go back to the cheap Walmart washclothes when school starts again; I really do like that method for the preschoolers and they love to fold them!
Counting squares... Another great idea and a good way to teach something in the process.
CheekyChick 01:25 PM 07-20-2011
Sure, but it'll be awhile. My closest Ikea is 2 hours away, too. E Daycare lives right by one though IIRC.
She's lucky. It stinks to live in the sticks.
Country Kids 01:26 PM 07-20-2011
CheekyChick,

I was talking to a friend today and she said her regs. for where you live said she couldn't use washcloths or anything like that. It had to be papertowels. You might want to double check because I know in Oregon you have the 3 types of childcare and all the rules are different for each one.
CheekyChick 01:37 PM 07-20-2011
CheekyChick,

I was talking to a friend today and she said her regs. for where you live said she couldn't use washcloths or anything like that. It had to be papertowels. You might want to double check because I know in Oregon you have the 3 types of childcare and all the rules are different for each one.
Hmm... I just looked through my book and it says nothing about paper towels versus wash clothes. I remember reading somewhere that washclothes could only be used once. I'll have to investigate this a little further. Thanks.
SilverSabre25 01:41 PM 07-20-2011
She's lucky. It stinks to live in the sticks.
My metropolis just isn't cool enough for an Ikea. Apparently being the capital of the state isn't good enough.

drama
CheekyChick 01:51 PM 07-20-2011
My metropolis just isn't cool enough for an Ikea. Apparently being the capital of the state isn't good enough.

drama
It doesn't make sense that they would put it somewhere (possibly) less populated, unless it was an issue about the cost of real estate in your area. Regardless, that really stinks.

I live in a town of about 50,000 and we don't have a Target, a Walmart, a Costco, a Walgreens, etc. It is so frustrating to have to drive a half hour (or more) to shop. I would do ANYTHING for a Target. Well, almost anything.
actaktmdt 11:43 AM 08-03-2011
Thanks. I can't wait to read about what an "unpaper" towel is.
Sorry our internet went down and we have had our internet provider out 2xs to fix the issues.

These are unpaper towels you can find them all over etsy or hyena cart. I like the snaping ability around my paper towel holder.

http://hyenacart.com/wildflowerpatch...UnPaper-Towels
CheekyChick 12:59 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
Sorry our internet went down and we have had our internet provider out 2xs to fix the issues.

These are unpaper towels you can find them all over etsy or hyena cart. I like the snaping ability around my paper towel holder.

http://hyenacart.com/wildflowerpatch...UnPaper-Towels
Those are SOOOOOOOOOOO adorable. I think I would need at least 60 to get through each day. That would be a big investment, but in the long run - would make good sense. Thanks for the link.
Country Kids 02:04 PM 08-03-2011
It doesn't make sense that they would put it somewhere (possibly) less populated, unless it was an issue about the cost of real estate in your area. Regardless, that really stinks.

I live in a town of about 50,000 and we don't have a Target, a Walmart, a Costco, a Walgreens, etc. It is so frustrating to have to drive a half hour (or more) to shop. I would do ANYTHING for a Target. Well, almost anything.
I so feel for you! I live in an area of about 20-25 thousand people. We have two Walgreens (within a mile of each other), Costco, Wal-Mart (suppose to be turning into a SuperCenter). We also have 2 McDonalds, 5 Subways, K-Mart, a mall (but we rarely shop there, go to the big city for the big malls), Fred Meyers and the list goes on.

The sad thing is we actually drive an hour away to go shopping because that is where the "Name Brand" stores are. No, we will wear anything but for back to school or summer we like to hit the bigger city to go shopping and have two to three malls to choose from. Our stores are really hard to find clothes especially if you are looking for something special. We have all those stores but no bridal, formal wear store, so for the prom we have to go out of town. Different things like that. Makes no since to me.
grandmom 02:11 PM 08-03-2011
My septic tank pumper said DO NOT USE KIRLKAND brand - Costco. Their toilet paper is made of cedar which does not break down easily in the septic system.
actaktmdt 05:10 PM 08-03-2011
Those are SOOOOOOOOOOO adorable. I think I would need at least 60 to get through each day. That would be a big investment, but in the long run - would make good sense. Thanks for the link.
Yeah those are cute...that particular print fabric is super expensive but you can find them much cheeper.
Crazy8 06:37 PM 08-03-2011
I was planning on trying those kleenex hand towels (where you place the box on your towel bar) but was thinking that would probably get expensive, even with only 5 daycare kids. Then I read this thread. Then I went to Target. I decided to buy a few of the 8 packs of washclothes for $3/pack and will put a little trash can in the corner just for them to throw in after each use. I was going to buy different colors but they didn't have 5 different colors and I figure a stack of white will look neater in the bathroom anyway (and I didn't want to have to wash in separate loads if some are white, some are colors).

Now though, I'm checking my regs and it says I have to "supply a clean towel for each child's exclusive use" OR disposable. So does this even qualify as either of those??? I figure it has to be allowed but the way its worded its not really either.
learn-n-grow 05:44 AM 08-04-2011
This is a great idea to give them what they need as opposed to letting them get what they "think" they need.
Tags:paper towels, toilet paper
Reply Up