Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Guilty About Taking Vacation :(
Soupyszoo 09:46 AM 04-24-2012
I don't know why! I just feel like its my job to be reliable and dependable and always here for my dcfamilies.

On the other hand... I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown! I could really use a week with NO children to just clean and have it stay clean and not have to "care" for anyone, KWIM?! I haven't had a break since I started last October including holidays.

I need reassured that I deserve a vacation just as much as anyone else!

How much notice should I give etc.. Should I do it in writting or email or both?

(I don't have a handbook... I'm fairly new to this and all my families are friends... Until I have a contract and written rules, I have to do this the hard way.)
cheerfuldom 09:49 AM 04-24-2012
First off, I think you are making a big mistake in not having a handbook

but the plus side is that you can basically do this anyway you want. I always recommend in writing though.

Outline when you will take vacation, parents are responsible for finding alternate care, remind whether they agreed to pay for this vacation or not, date when you will re-open. I would give one month's notice for a one week vacation.
CheekyChick 10:17 AM 04-24-2012
I am going on 5 years and have yet to take a vacation. I KNOW I deserve it, as do you, but I also feel guilty about taking one. When I do, I will probably remain open and have my assistants take over for a few days. I feel very ready for a break.
Texasjeepgirl 10:56 AM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I am going on 5 years and have yet to take a vacation. I KNOW I deserve it, as do you, but I also feel guilty about taking one. When I do, I will probably remain open and have my assistants take over for a few days. I feel very ready for a break.
All I can say is... WOW.. are you kidding??? 5 years.. NO TIME OFF??? Woman.. YOU NEED A BREAK... we all do...

Take a VACATION... you deserve it..
How many people do you know that do not ever take any type of time off? even a 3 or 4 day weekend would help..
Close daycare on a Thursday Friday and MOnday....Pick a date a month or two out.. and give PARENTS plenty of notice...
This year a great week to do it would be 4th of July...since it falls on Wednesday.....

jojosmommy 11:29 AM 04-24-2012
I think with plenty of notice parents will be fine with it. I try to give a month notice.

I would get your policies in writing so someone doesn't take advantage of you.
Soupyszoo 11:36 AM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
All I can say is... WOW.. are you kidding??? 5 years.. NO TIME OFF??? Woman.. YOU NEED A BREAK... we all do...

Take a VACATION... you deserve it..
How many people do you know that do not ever take any type of time off? even a 3 or 4 day weekend would help..
Close daycare on a Thursday Friday and MOnday....Pick a date a month or two out.. and give PARENTS plenty of notice...
This year a great week to do it would be 4th of July...since it falls on Wednesday.....
That's exactly the week I was thinking! One dcb will already be gone wed, thurs, and Friday.
momma2girls 11:42 AM 04-24-2012
I have 2 weeks paid vacation each yr. All three of my families have grandparents, or they take off, when I take it off. It's never a problem, I always give plenty of advanced notice.
wdmmom 11:47 AM 04-24-2012
My first year I took my vacation, I felt guilty as all get out! I was only about a year and a half in and took my first week off ever. I had such a tough time with it, I didn't get acclimated to the vacation and start enjoying myself until Day 4! Then I found myself angry that I wasted my vacation days feeling bad.

The following year, I had absolutely no remorse at all. I gave my families a 3 month notice to figure their own arrangements out and I made my way to Minnesota where I spend 7 straight days in a cabin right on a secluded lake. I loved every second of it!

This year I already have vacation planned out again. I've given my families 3 months to figure it out and I'm already making plans to make this vacation, the best one yet! This year it's another trip to Minnesota....just farther North on a larger lake, in a newer, bigger cabin with a hot tub! Yeah buddy! Hurry up July!!!!

Stop feeling sorry you are taking vacation! Take it from me...ENJOY IT because it goes by fast!!!
Soupyszoo 12:37 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
My first year I took my vacation, I felt guilty as all get out! I was only about a year and a half in and took my first week off ever. I had such a tough time with it, I didn't get acclimated to the vacation and start enjoying myself until Day 4! Then I found myself angry that I wasted my vacation days feeling bad.

The following year, I had absolutely no remorse at all. I gave my families a 3 month notice to figure their own arrangements out and I made my way to Minnesota where I spend 7 straight days in a cabin right on a secluded lake. I loved every second of it!

This year I already have vacation planned out again. I've given my families 3 months to figure it out and I'm already making plans to make this vacation, the best one yet! This year it's another trip to Minnesota....just farther North on a larger lake, in a newer, bigger cabin with a hot tub! Yeah buddy! Hurry up July!!!!

Stop feeling sorry you are taking vacation! Take it from me...ENJOY IT because it goes by fast!!!
Thank you! Now I'm thinking I need to go somewhere tropical!!
Breezy 01:20 PM 04-24-2012
I feel guilty too. I went to Minnesota to visit family in Feb and felt so bad until I told my DC families and they were fine with it. I gave over 6 weeks of notice as well. I would like to go back to Minnesota in August for a few days as my older brother, sister in law, niece, and older sister will be there too (they live in FL) and I have never met my niece!! I am feeling guity about wanting to do that as well since I just took a vacation in Feb.
AmyLeigh 01:28 PM 04-24-2012
I have a vacation coming up very soon. I don't feel guilty one bit. I don't even know exactly what the families' back up plans are, and I usually do.
It's better for me to take some time away with just my family than to over-extend myself with the dcks. This way I can come back, refreshed and renewed, with a re-organized playroom and fresh ideas for us all to do. Otherwise, I'd burn out really quick and then the children would suffer by less than excellent care. Please take some time for yourself. It will benefit everyone.
cheerfuldom 06:07 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
OMG! Why would you do this to yourself????
Tags:guilt, time off, vacations
Reply Up