Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advertising Question
actaktmdt 07:55 AM 04-27-2010
Do you continue to advertise when you have interviews scheduled that would lead you to being full or do you wait until the interviews have compleated before you begin to advertise again.

I have two interviews one tommarow and one tonight, both are for families one has two kids, the other 3, and an interview for monday for a single child.

I can only take one of the families with kids as I already have a full timer enrolled. How do you decied what creteria to determine which would be the better family to choose. Both are needing care to starting on next Monday.
MarinaVanessa 08:39 AM 04-27-2010
Go with your gut feeling. You're in the position to be picky since you have interviews that want in so instead of the parents interviewing you to see if they like you, you are interviewing them to see if you like them.

I ask whether it long-term care they are looking for, what they expect in a childcare provider, how they want you to handle discipline, potty training etc. Ask about food and other allergies, whether they have strange habits etc. And ask about whether they've ever been in daycare before and with who. If they have never been in daycare before ask who has been watching them. If they are currently in daycare ask why they are leaving and whether or not they will be giving a two-weeks notice and why or why not. Keep an ear out for the type of answers they give and whether you feel comfortable with what they say. I had a lady I interviewed once tell me that she had already given her DC a two-weeks notice and needed to start right away because her notice was already up. I asked for her last DC info and called myself. Turns out that she was behind in payments and the other DC had no idea she was looking for another Daycare. On the other hand I once had a lady straight out tell me that she would not be giving her DC a two-week notice because she didn't want to take her baby there another day and that she was already paid up. I called and asked and the DC confirmed it was true and began slandering her saying all this stuff about how mom didn't provide breast milk or formula and forgot to take diapers. I called licensing and checked up on the provider and it turns out that the provider had two complaints on her in the past two months (both of which pulled their kids out) and this parent I was interviewing (didn't know about the complaints) was there only 1 month and didn't like the way she took care of the kids and was pulling hers too. I accepted this family and they're great. Pay up to two weeks in advance, are never late, leave extra formula, diapers, baby food here at daycare etc.

My point is, follow your instincts and ask a lot of Q's. If during your interviews theres something you feel iffy about, in most cases it turns into a bigger problem later. Do your homework and check references.
originalkat 08:50 AM 04-27-2010
I always keep my signs out until all interviews are complete and then I make my decision. I would let all the families know that you have several interviewing for the spot and you will be choosing the family that will be the best fit for your program.
actaktmdt 09:44 AM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I would let all the families know that you have several interviewing for the spot and you will be choosing the family that will be the best fit for your program.
Yup I was planning on telling them all this same thing. I just called the mom who wanted to schedule and interview for next week to see if she wanted to move up to this week, as I got another call for child care that needed to start monday, and sense I spoke with her first I felt the need to be fair. (this call came after the orignal post) my phone is ringing of the hook, and all of these kiddos are full time.......the majority of their parents have had a parent out of work for the last year, so this must mean the economy is really starting to pick up and move.
misol 10:00 AM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
Yup I was planning on telling them all this same thing. I just called the mom who wanted to schedule and interview for next week to see if she wanted to move up to this week, as I got another call for child care that needed to start monday, and sense I spoke with her first I felt the need to be fair. (this call came after the orignal post) my phone is ringing of the hook, and all of these kiddos are full time.......the majority of their parents have had a parent out of work for the last year, so this must mean the economy is really starting to pick up and move.
Wow this is great news for you!
emosks 10:48 AM 04-27-2010
Good for you! Just make sure the families that you are interviewing and choosing fit your ratios!!
actaktmdt 06:52 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
Good for you! Just make sure the families that you are interviewing and choosing fit your ratios!!
Yup I have been keeping a close eye on that when families have been inquring.

Last nights family did not show for their interview. This mornings family showed up on time, and will start friday for half day, and then full time next week. I am so excited, they seem like wonderful kiddos. I have two more interviews today...so i may be full by the end of the day..
emosks 07:31 AM 04-28-2010
Yup I have been keeping a close eye on that when families have been inquring.

Last nights family did not show for their interview. This moring family showed up on time, and will start friday for half day, and then full time next week. I am so excited, they seem like wonderful kiddos. I have two more interviews today...so i may be full by the end of the day..
Awesome! We're having a hard time because we are full with under 18 months and that is who needs care right now.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:16 AM 04-28-2010
this brought happy happy tears to my eyes!

Originally Posted by :
the majority of their parents have had a parent out of work for the last year, so this must mean the economy is really starting to pick up and move.

emosks 12:32 PM 04-29-2010
How did your interviews go? Fill up?
actaktmdt 01:11 PM 04-29-2010
Yes I am full now, though I did take one mom I am not sure how long she will stick around, she was initally looking for summer only, but it sounds like they have moved around alot, they just moved to wyoming, and the 3 year old has already been in 6 daycares....monday will be an interesting day.
emosks 01:15 PM 04-29-2010
Yes I am full now, though I did take one mom I am not sure how long she will stick around, she was initally looking for summer only, but it sounds like they have moved around alot, they just moved to wyoming, and the 3 year old has already been in 6 daycares....monday will be an interesting day.
That's awesome! So 5 kids starting the same day! Yikes...good luck!
actaktmdt 01:48 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
That's awesome! So 5 kids starting the same day! Yikes...good luck!
One of the 5 is returning, (the one that had the medical emergency) but she was only here 3 days before she left. 3 are new, and the 5th one, will start on the 10th.
Tags:advertising
Reply Up