Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother's Day Craft Activity
actaktmdt 01:52 PM 04-29-2010
I would like next weeks craft activity to be a week long project for mom (mothers day is Sunday the 9th), but the problem I have is that 3 kids are from the same family, so do they each do somthing different, or do they all give the same craft for mom. What do you do?
sahm2three 03:05 PM 04-29-2010
I have a fantastic idea for a gift that each kid can give and mom will love them all! What you do is take a picture of the child with their arm outstretched and their hand in a fist like they are holding flowers. Then you have the pictures printed and when you get the pictures back, you cut a slit in the top of their hand where the flowers would come out and you put silk flowers in the slit and glue the ends on the back of the picture and then we made foam frames that the kids decorated. Soooooooooo cute! If you don't quite understand, I can attach a picture!

I always have the kids give the same thing. Cuts down on kids wanting what their brother/sister is doing. Moms love homemade gifts!
Vesta 04:04 PM 04-29-2010
I like to make a little booklet for the moms.
Use nice paper and ask the kids a bunch of questions.
One sheet is all about "me", have them answer questions about themselves, even simple stuff like eye and hair color, height, weight, favorite books, movies, foods, songs, things they like to do with their mommy, why they love their mommy, what they would like to get them for mother's day.
Have them draw a picture of themselves on the facing page.

Next have them answer the same or similar questions about their moms (that can be a real hoot with the height and weights), including questions about why their mommy loves them and how they know their it.
Have them draw a picture of their mom on the facing page.

The next sheet we do a free word thing, just have them list as many words as they can while thinking about their moms. On the facing page have them draw a picture of them together.
Last two pages are hand and foot prints.

We usually do this over the course of a week. I have one from every year since my daughter was 3 and it's fun to look at them every year. Kind of like mini time capsules.
Unregistered 06:08 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I have a fantastic idea for a gift that each kid can give and mom will love them all! What you do is take a picture of the child with their arm outstretched and their hand in a fist like they are holding flowers. Then you have the pictures printed and when you get the pictures back, you cut a slit in the top of their hand where the flowers would come out and you put silk flowers in the slit and glue the ends on the back of the picture and then we made foam frames that the kids decorated. Soooooooooo cute! If you don't quite understand, I can attach a picture!

I always have the kids give the same thing. Cuts down on kids wanting what their brother/sister is doing. Moms love homemade gifts!
I would love to see a pic happykidschildcare@msn.com
kitkat 06:18 PM 04-29-2010
I would have the kids do the same project (if it's age appropriate) even though they are from the same family. The nice thing about a craft project is that even though it's the "same", each project will turn out differently and truly reflect the child it was made by.
originalkat 07:36 PM 04-29-2010

I would like to see a picture please. This sounds like a gift I would like for them to do this year.
originalkat 07:37 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
I would like next weeks craft activity to be a week long project for mom (mothers day is Sunday the 9th), but the problem I have is that 3 kids are from the same family, so do they each do somthing different, or do they all give the same craft for mom. What do you do?
I would have them each make the same thing (unless you have a lot of time on your hands).
QualiTcare 07:49 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by Vesta:
I like to make a little booklet for the moms.
Use nice paper and ask the kids a bunch of questions.
One sheet is all about "me", have them answer questions about themselves, even simple stuff like eye and hair color, height, weight, favorite books, movies, foods, songs, things they like to do with their mommy, why they love their mommy, what they would like to get them for mother's day.
Have them draw a picture of themselves on the facing page.

Next have them answer the same or similar questions about their moms (that can be a real hoot with the height and weights), including questions about why their mommy loves them and how they know their it.
Have them draw a picture of their mom on the facing page.

The next sheet we do a free word thing, just have them list as many words as they can while thinking about their moms. On the facing page have them draw a picture of them together.
Last two pages are hand and foot prints.

We usually do this over the course of a week. I have one from every year since my daughter was 3 and it's fun to look at them every year. Kind of like mini time capsules.
those are the best gifts ever. my daughter did one of those for me and said i weigh 2 pounds, my favorite t.v. show is dr. phil, and my favorite food is macaroni (her favorite). there were a lot more questions, all hilarious.

i also like to do this poem (which i did in kindergarten and my mom still has):

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.

But every day I'm growing -
I'll be grown some day
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here's a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.

i get a big piece of paper, center the poem in the middle, and have the kids put both hands (with paint on them) on both sides of the poem.

after they dry, i would put contact paper on them because it's something they'll keep forever - at least my mom did.
sahm2three 08:06 PM 04-29-2010
I will have to take pictures of a finished one, but here is a picture of one of the kids with their arm/fist out. Then I would cut a slit in the picture on the top of the fist to slide the silk flowers in. I will work on getting a pic of a finished picture with frame.

QualiTcare 08:17 PM 04-29-2010
I will have to take pictures of a finished one, but here is a picture of one of the kids with their arm/fist out. Then I would cut a slit in the picture on the top of the fist to slide the silk flowers in. I will work on getting a pic of a finished picture with frame.

that's adorable
MsKara 07:47 AM 04-30-2010
Here's another idea. I did it and they all turned out awesome! Even the little ones can help design the flowers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8M73UfBMP8
MarinaVanessa 09:00 AM 04-30-2010
I LOVE the idea!! Definetely will try it!
momma2girls 09:37 AM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
those are the best gifts ever. my daughter did one of those for me and said i weigh 2 pounds, my favorite t.v. show is dr. phil, and my favorite food is macaroni (her favorite). there were a lot more questions, all hilarious.

Because I am so small
On furniture and walls.

I'll be grown some day
Will surely fade away.

Just so you can recall
When I was very small.

i get a big piece of paper, center the poem in the middle, and have the kids put both hands (with paint on them) on both sides of the poem.

after they dry, i would put contact paper on them because it's something they'll keep forever - at least my mom did.
I have done this same poem every yr. with handprints!!! I love it and so do all of the parents!!
SunflowerMama 11:43 AM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

Because I am so small
On furniture and walls.

I'll be grown some day
Will surely fade away.

Just so you can recall
When I was very small.

I did this when I was in nursery school too and my mom still has it! I'll definitely have the dcks do it this year!
actaktmdt 08:56 PM 05-01-2010
Thanks I thought that book idea was a good one. Hadn't thought of how easy to make a book for mom! I played around in word, and printed out a book for each of my dc kids including my own daughter (I have yet to get a MD gift fulfilled from DH so I guess she will be making mine, with me in charge) I will have them still do the original craft I had found, so it should be interesting to see how the kids do. They may think they are doing to much arts and crafts, for their first week all new kids, all together. Hopefully it wont be too much for them.
Tags:crafts, mother day craft, picture ideas
Reply Up