Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Include Infants In Your Daily Craft?
Yes 8 30.77%
No 18 69.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Do Crafts With Infants?
Former Teacher 05:35 PM 01-09-2013
I really enjoy doing crafts with children. I enjoy teaching them and having them learn new things.

I now nanny for 2 boys. They are currently 8 months old. Monday we finger painted hearts. The babies had a BLAST.

I know some providers do not do crafts etc with the children. My question though for those who do. Do you include infants in your daily craft?

Of course tuning it to their level
daycare 05:42 PM 01-09-2013
I dont have any infants here, but when I did work with infants in the past , I always tried to find ways to involve them.

process art/activities is more what I could say that we did. They love love love the water tables, filling buckets of water and then dumping into other buckets. I wquld some times add bubbles or food color dye to make colors. they would mix them and then see what happened in the end.

we would paint with our feet, roll in the paint, and etc...of course we did this outside when it was warm.

I took a huge coffee can and cut a whole in the top of the lid so that the kids could push things through it. Then they would take it out dump it and do it all over again.

If I think of more I will let you know....Hopefully i helped some because I just realized that you said craft projects......lol
Former Teacher 06:10 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont have any infants here, but when I did work with infants in the past , I always tried to find ways to involve them.

process art/activities is more what I could say that we did. They love love love the water tables, filling buckets of water and then dumping into other buckets. I wquld some times add bubbles or food color dye to make colors. they would mix them and then see what happened in the end.

we would paint with our feet, roll in the paint, and etc...of course we did this outside when it was warm.

I took a huge coffee can and cut a whole in the top of the lid so that the kids could push things through it. Then they would take it out dump it and do it all over again.

If I think of more I will let you know....Hopefully i helped some because I just realized that you said craft projects......lol
So sorry!

Yes I meant craft projects
juliebug 06:19 PM 01-09-2013
i answered no because i don't do daily crafts but with 4 one year old that is just crazy! we do special project for holidays, and birthdays.
LK5kids 07:38 PM 01-09-2013
No, doing creative art with infants just is not my thing! I do start as soon as they are interested after they are a year old. I suppose around 18 mo.
spud912 08:13 PM 01-09-2013
If there was a sometimes selection, I would select that. I include them if they are awake, in the right mindset and they can do it safely with minimal intervention. For example, I include them for finger painting and play dough if they won't eat it, but I would not include them when we work with small pieces and scissors (I know, that is common sense ). I also include them if the item is a keepsake for the parents (like those that involve hand prints).
nanglgrl 08:17 PM 01-09-2013
I answered no. The youngest I take is 8 months but its been a while since I had anyone younger than 15 months. The only "crafts" I do with children under 4 would be considered process art. I get the paint and different kinds of rollers and brushes and let them go to town or I get out the stamps, stickers, scissors etc. and they make a delightful mess. I only do product art if they are 4 and can do all of a craft on their own with basic instructions.
Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe I'm not interpreting what you are saying correctly but when I tried to do "crafts" with the littles it seemed like I was doing 99% of the work and the kids were getting little if any enjoyment out of it. I tell parents at their interview that their children will rarely, if ever, come home with something that looks so great they'll want to brag to everyone and put it on the refrigerator. I tell them that their child will come home with a paper with scribbles on it that has been cut with safety scissors just because or a painting that was many colors but after after all of the mixing it has turned to a brown, wet, soggy mess with a hole in it.
I started telling parents this during the interview because I found it was a good way to gauge what parents knew about development and what they expected from me. I've been surprised by the reactions. So far not one potential client has been disappointed and the overwhelming response I get goes something like the one I got at an interview last night, "at his old daycare he came home with things that I knew he couldn't do on his own. He's my child I know what he can and can't do and having every single piece of a chicken cut out nicely and glued perfectly onto a paper is NOT something he can do."
EchoMom 08:20 PM 01-09-2013
I said no only because you said DAILY crafts. I don't do a DAILY craft with anyone. I do crafts/art with the 2 year olds anywhere from 1-4 days a week. My own DS I have always let participate to the best of his ability because he's very precocious. But in general no, I don't let the babies participate in the art time because they just put the materials in their mouth and monopolize my time so I can't help the 2 year olds really enjoy their activity time.

But occasionally, when appropriate, yes. I had ALL the kids, even the infants make plaster handprints and helped them finger paint them. I had one year olds attempt sticker art.

But really I don't think parents want stuff that I made and I don't think infants are really able to appreciate it or enjoy it as much as just having their freedom of movement to crawl and toddle around the house playing and exploring.

Activities YES, but you asked about crafts so no.
Lyss 09:52 PM 01-09-2013
I don't consider them crafts but I try to do art or exploration activities with my little ones. I have 2 littles (both 13mos now), 2 two year olds and an occasional 4yr old. the babies have been doing art since 5 month's. obviously not the in-depth ones but paint, crayons, markers, sensory tubs... I just keep close and monitor. I usually start art after snack which my little ones take 20mins longer to eat so the older kids do it while the little ones finish then the little ones do art or a modified art. I've used our ball pit tub (it's a small inflatable kiddie pool) for messy projects inside but usually I just put a large piece of crate paper down.

my group's small so it's doable for me. I think if I had larger numbers it may be different.
Crystal 07:48 AM 01-10-2013
This is the extent of "crafts" that I do with infants:
Attached: IMG_9806.jpg (48.7 KB) IMG_9820.jpg (70.0 KB) 
Crystal 07:58 AM 01-10-2013
I accidentally voted no......but I do. The painting this infant is doing happened because the older children were working with acrylics and canvas and she REALLY wanted to get involved, so I threw down a large piece of paper and some paint and let her go for it while I was right next to her with the older group. This type of thing happens frequently, but only when the infant/toddler shows an interest. She was 10 months old in these photos.
Attached: IMG_9828.jpg (54.6 KB) 
crazydaycarelady 08:02 AM 01-10-2013
I don't do crafts with the kids until they are 2yo or nearly 2yo. Occasionaly maybe if we are doing a handprint thing but other than that no.
Blackcat31 08:04 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
This is the extent of "crafts" that I do with infants:
ADORABLE!!!

I read a blog entry not too long ago where tha gal took one of those foil emergency blankets you get in car kits and let her baby (about 10 months old) play with it.

She said it was one of the best sensory experiences she found. She posted photos of her baby playing with it and your pictures reminded me of it. It looked super fun and really cool so now I added it to my list of things to try.

For me when I let the little paint like that I plop them inside a plastic blow up pool to contain the mess...and them when they become the mess.
CozyHome 10:05 PM 01-11-2013
I voted yes, because my infants learn painting, finger painting, manipulating playdo, placing eyes and noses and feathers and cotton balls etc. onto glue and pushing it down so it's sticky and pretty to make a picture. I make my own playdo and my own fingerpaints and goop and slime and all kinds of things like that.

However, I don't believe in 'sensory bins'. I think they are silly and that every thing a child touches in their entire lives is 'sensory' so we are all different in our beliefs.
Heidi 06:25 AM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I accidentally voted no......but I do. The painting this infant is doing happened because the older children were working with acrylics and canvas and she REALLY wanted to get involved, so I threw down a large piece of paper and some paint and let her go for it while I was right next to her with the older group. This type of thing happens frequently, but only when the infant/toddler shows an interest. She was 10 months old in these photos.
When my instructor was here observing me recently, I let my 14 mo paint with tempera. She wasn't sure of his age, but told me that "I think they are going to be changing that-and say that you CANNOT do art like that with under 1's." (implying FCCER's or Youngstar).

I said "well, he is 14 months...I thought they encouraged us to offer art materials early. Why do you think?"

"Because of that....(pointing to him putting paint on his mouth)."

What do you think, Crystal?

On the one hand, I'm not sure what he is getting out of it..crayons and paint still go to the mouth, even though I say "not to eat, dcb, on the paper"

On the other hand, I only offer him "non-toxic" activities, and it's still occasional, because I don't completely buy the "non-toxic" idea.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
When my instructor was here observing me recently, I let my 14 mo paint with tempera. She wasn't sure of his age, but told me that "I think they are going to be changing that-and say that you CANNOT do art like that with under 1's." (implying FCCER's or Youngstar).

I said "well, he is 14 months...I thought they encouraged us to offer art materials early. Why do you think?"

"Because of that....(pointing to him putting paint on his mouth)."

What do you think, Crystal?

On the one hand, I'm not sure what he is getting out of it..crayons and paint still go to the mouth, even though I say "not to eat, dcb, on the paper"

On the other hand, I only offer him "non-toxic" activities, and it's still occasional, because I don't completely buy the "non-toxic" idea.
We are told we can do art like that with infants but that we should use other types of mediums such as chocolate pudding or applesauce etc so if (and when) they put it in their mouth, it is ok.

That concept confuses me though because the other gal we have that does the rating thing says we can't use food items in the sensory bin so ???

Food as art for babies is ok but not for older kids....
Former Teacher 06:32 AM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
When my instructor was here observing me recently, I let my 14 mo paint with tempera. She wasn't sure of his age, but told me that "I think they are going to be changing that-and say that you CANNOT do art like that with under 1's." (implying FCCER's or Youngstar)
Just yet ANOTHER ridiculous rule
Heidi 06:48 AM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We are told we can do art like that with infants but that we should use other types of mediums such as chocolate pudding or applesauce etc so if (and when) they put it in their mouth, it is ok.

That concept confuses me though because the other gal we have that does the rating thing says we can't use food items in the sensory bin so ???

Food as art for babies is ok but not for older kids....
Food is a definate NO NO. Rationale: It sends the wrong message about food, especially in a world where there are hungry children.

Always makes me think of when your mom said "eat your dinner, there are hungry children in Africa"

Typical kid answer: "Well, then send them my brocoli"

Not making light of hungry children, and I wouldn't encourage pudding painting anyway, because I think it sends a mixed message about table manners (I'm a freak about that), but I WOULD allow pasta necklaces or rice in the sensory table, because in that context, I don't think children see it as food...unless I cooked the rice first...lol
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 01-12-2013
Yeah, I get the food thing...working with Head Start for many years before home child care gave me my fill about being PC and all....

I am just confused as to why we can do something in one context but then not another

....and I doubt that anyone puts the connection together that if we let Timmy paint with pudding during art time and then try and tell him he can't do it an hour later at lunch time, it creates a whole other set of issues that we now have to deal with.....

Some of these new rating scale rules seem to work directly against each other so we are darned if we do and adarned if we don't. *sigh*
Heidi 07:38 AM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yeah, I get the food thing...working with Head Start for many years before home child care gave me my fill about being PC and all....

I am just confused as to why we can do something in one context but then not another

....and I doubt that anyone puts the connection together that if we let Timmy paint with pudding during art time and then try and tell him he can't do it an hour later at lunch time, it creates a whole other set of issues that we now have to deal with.....

Some of these new rating scale rules seem to work directly against each other so we are darned if we do and adarned if we don't. *sigh*
Another example of that is the "wait time" factor. If the children need to wait to wash hands, for example, and the wait will be longer than 3 minutes, we are supposed to engage them in an activity of some sort....hopping to the bathroom, singing songs, etc.

Now...how do you think the kindy teacher will enjoy that? Our high-quality childcare program just sent them a pile of kids who don't know how to WALK QUIETLY down the hall, or wait more than 3 minutes for something.
Tags:arts and crafts - infants, crafts - infants
Reply Up