Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Father's Day
MsKara 05:21 AM 06-16-2010
Having trouble finding a CUTE Father's Day poem that works with DK kids. I'm doing a card with a handprint and poem inside. Any suggestions.
actaktmdt 05:46 AM 06-16-2010
I'm looking for ideas too....I have one little girl who has no dad and never has had one....her mom is into women (single) and her dad came from a sperm doner place.... Do I find a grandfather poem to be pc? Or not have her not make one at all.....this week has been hard a few of the kids talk about their dads and this little girl just clams up when they ask her questions....
Liliya 06:54 AM 06-16-2010
I found this one ,but it is for foot prints,I like it,

"Please walk slower,Daddy"
said a child so small.
" I am walking in your footsteps,
and I don't want to fall"
Greenshadow 06:57 AM 06-16-2010
Footprints
"Walk a little slower daddy,"
Said a child so small.
I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to fall.
Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.
And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy,
For I must follow you."
Liliya 07:00 AM 06-16-2010
just google "hand print poems" there is a lot..
GretasLittleFriends 10:17 AM 06-16-2010
My son's preschool did a project before school got out. They had the children dip their feet in ink then carefully step onto a piece of paper leaving room in the middle for a poem. Poem reads:

Daddy, I love you
For all that you do.

I'll kiss you and hug you
'Cause you love me, too.

You feed me and need me
To teach you to play.

So smile 'cause I love you
On this Father's Day.

Then the child signed their name at the bottom.
HeatherB 11:25 AM 06-16-2010
We are doing the foot print ones this year... something different.
misol 12:19 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
Footprints
"Walk a little slower daddy,"
Said a child so small.
I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to fall.
Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.
And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy,
For I must follow you."
I love it.
Genesis Lady 04:15 PM 06-16-2010
Sometimes you get discouraged
because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
on furniture and walls

But everyday I'm growing...
I'll be all grown up someday
And all those tiny fingerprints
Will surely fade away

So here's a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small

Happy Fathers Day!

I would not include the name/title Dad, Grandpa etc.
That way the poem fits the handprint theme and can be given to
anyone...Dad, Stepdad, G-pa, Uncle etc.
QualiTcare 09:50 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
I'm looking for ideas too....I have one little girl who has no dad and never has had one....her mom is into women (single) and her dad came from a sperm doner place.... Do I find a grandfather poem to be pc? Or not have her not make one at all.....this week has been hard a few of the kids talk about their dads and this little girl just clams up when they ask her questions....
i can answer that one! i didn't NOT have a dad when i was growing up - i actually had 3! lol. BUT it was very confusing for me and made me uncomfortable when teachers would ask, "what does your dad do?" or tell us to make something for our dad.

i had a biological dad of course, but he wasn't around.

then, i had my mom's husband who signed my birth certificate and acted as my dad, but they divorced when i was one. what had happened is my mom was married and had 2 kids and her and her husband separated for almost a year. she met someone during tht time and i was conceived - and then she got back with her husband while she was pregnant with me! i still saw him cus he was my sister's dad and i still called him dad and he claimed me as his daughter. i still call him dad.

THEN i had my mom's new husband (she remarried when i was 2) and he was the only dad i actually remember living with. i never called him dad (hell, i already had 2) but he was def. the strongest father figure cus he lived with me. they're still married and we're still close.

ANYHOW...i guess that was pointless, but IRL people always say how do u have 3 dads?!

SOOO....having to deal with THAT and never knowing who to make a card for or who to answer questions about - i swore i'd always be aware of kids that don't live in the typical family. i've always said, mother's day is coming up, so we're going to make a card for our mom, or our grandma, or our aunt, or our friend, or ANYBODY you want to make a card for to tell happy mother's day!

the only problem i've had with that is a couple kids who have moms have been like, "i'm making a card for my cousin," or something crazy! in that case, i'd steer them in the right direction, or let them make 2.

there was a lady i used to work with who would have a "star of the week" and she would ask them questions like, "what's your favorite color? what's your address? how much do you weigh? what's your mom's name? what's your dad's name?" the point was to be funny cus they don't know half the time, BUT this frigging skank would actually write down and POST ON THE WALL FOR EVERYONE TO SEE when a kid said, "i don't have a daddy" or "i don't know my daddy."

it made me sick and i raised cain about it. i don't care if you have 3 dads (lol) you have to have enough sense to realize how rude and ridiculous that is. what got me is that i KNOW if a kid's father isn't in his/her life. how can you look at a 3/4 year old kid that you KNOW doesn't have a dad and ask them, "what's your dad's name?" UGHHHHH!! i have cussed her out, btw. it felt great. NOT just for that - she's evil in many ways, obviously.

also, i have a daughter whose dad isn't involved in her life cus i broke it off when she was an infant and he's a jerk. she knows about him and considers my husband her dad, but that first year when she was a year old - they made things for father's day (this was before i met my husband) and i remember being sad for her even though she was too young to know when i picked her up and they had a little father's day card/gift. i would've been thrilled if the card was addressed to grandpa or me or ANYONE other than her father they KNEW wasn't in the picture. end of essay.
Golden Rule 08:22 AM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by Genesis Lady:
I would not include the name/title Dad, Grandpa etc.
That way the poem fits the handprint theme and can be given to
anyone...Dad, Stepdad, G-pa, Uncle etc.
Love this idea!!!

I have, in the past, just asked the moms outright how they want artwork for holidays labled.... Yes, that means I end up making a few extras for step-parents, grand-parents, etc....but that is worth it to me....
momma2girls 09:51 AM 06-18-2010
ANother thing I am going to be doing for Father's Day is making a basket out of a styrofoam bowl, place pipe cleaner for handle, and paint bowl or decorate it. Then make 2 or 3 different kinds of homeade cookies to place in there and place a ribbon and tag on it- Happy Father's Day Daddy!! We love you and then write their names. I thought this was a cute and different idea, that Dad's will love!!!!!
originalkat 10:36 AM 06-18-2010
I found this poem online. Here is what we made for Father's Day this year.
Preschool-Fathers day art 001.jpg
Preschool-Fathers day art 002.jpg
Attached:
Michael 01:02 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I found this poem online. Here is what we made for Father's Day this year.
Attachment 26
Attachment 27
Nice touch.
jen 04:55 PM 06-18-2010
We decorated bags and filled them with cookies and made handprint cards with this poem:

A Dad is a person
who is lving and kind,
and often he knows
what you have on your mind.
He's someone who listens,
sugests, and defends.
A dad can be one
of your very best friends!
He's proud of your triumphs,
but when things go wrong,
A dad can be patient
and helpful and strong
in all that you do,
a dad's love plays a part.
There's always a place for him
deep in your heart.
And each year that passes,
you're even more glad,
more grateful and proud
just to call him your Dad!
Thank you, Dad...
for listenting and caring,
for giving and sharing,
but especially, for just bing you!
Happy Father's Day
MarinaVanessa 12:07 PM 06-20-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i didn't NOT have a dad when i was growing up - i actually had 3!
My daughter has 2 lol and one DC kiddo doesn't have one that's around so it's a little hard to figure out what to do. I just ask the kids if they want to do it. My daughter ended up making books about her bio-dad, my fiance (she calls him dad too), my dad, her Tata (her grandad on her dads side) and for Poppa (my finace's dad). It was a lot of books but I didn't think it fair to let her choose who she wanted to make "a" book for. As for the baby without a present father, I made feet & hand prints in a card made out of construction paper and gave it to mom on friday. Didn't say "Happy Father's Day" or anything but she enjoyed it. The other kiddos also made some for their dads and grampa's etc. I leave it up to the kids and parents.
Tags:fathers day
Reply Up