Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Take a Paid Vacation? HOW?
NightOwl 07:21 PM 05-05-2014
It's in my contract, but this is the first time I've actually thought of using it. Do you coordinate with parents' vacations and take into consideration what they're planning or just set the date and say "buh bye!"?
Unregistered 07:34 PM 05-05-2014
I let them coordinate with me

But I do give several months notice for a two week vacation.
Also in my contract, I give an option for a higher weekly rate, if they prefer to not have to pay my vacation weeks.
cara041083 07:40 PM 05-05-2014
I tell them 4 weeks in advance (if not more I try to give months in advance) If they want to take one at the same time as me cool, if not oh well. I charge a half rate to be nice. I used to make it work for everyone, but I quickly found out that most parents use there time off from work to have a day to them self's or when there sick and they never save enough time to take off for a vacation. But the more time in advance you can give the better.
CraftyMom 07:52 PM 05-05-2014
I let them know at the beginning of the year because I renew my contracts at that time and hand out a schedule of days off. My current parents take the same time off. I charge full rate

A month's notice is sufficient, I wouldn't go less than 3 weeks if you're taking a week off. They need time to make arrangements.
nothingwithoutjoy 08:11 PM 05-05-2014
I plan the date and let them know as soon as I've figured it out. (At least a month's notice.) I don't try to coordinate anything. I do tend to take the same weeks--Christmas, my birthday, end of summer--so parents come to anticipate it and some do plan around it.

It took me a while to realize I was ripping myself off with that end-of-summer week. Kids leaving for kindergarten didn't pay, though they'd been here all year and should have paid the same as anyone else. Or someone might leave mid-year and get out of a fair share of vacation pay. So now I have parents pay vacation pay in two lump sums: half by Nov. 1st, the other half by Mar. 1st. Then when the actual vacation rolls around, they don't pay for it that week, but they've already paid me. Complicated, but it works out to be much more fair to everyone.
MissAnn 04:05 AM 05-06-2014
I take off a week plus 3 holidays during Christmas as a paid vacation. I also take an unpaid vacation 4th of July week. I have it in my policies.
taylorw1210 04:20 AM 05-06-2014
I set my vacation week at the beginning of the year and provide a list of all my vacation time/holidays then. I give my parents a vacation week per year as well. They have the option of using it during my vacation or at a different time during the year. Next year I think I'll be taking a vacation week during June and one during December, although I'm not sure if both will be paid, yet.
Laurel 04:31 AM 05-06-2014
I decide when I want mine and then give them plenty of notice. Sometimes they take the same time and sometimes not.

I don't charge them for my vacation as I figure they have to pay someone else during that time. They are not my employers so I don't expect them to pay for my vacation. I just budget throughout the year to cover it. I don't leave myself so tight that it would be a hardship.

Laurel
Annalee 04:42 AM 05-06-2014
I take off the week before Labor Day and Dec. 24-Jan 1 every year but float another week of days to be used consecutive or not. Basically, I get 3 weeks vacation. My parents learn at the interview they will pay 52 weeks per year regardless of closings for vacation, holidays, professional or personal days. The extra days or week I use I give as much notice as possible. This floating week of days is not used for my emergency days. Good luck!
NeedaVaca 05:00 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I take off the week before Labor Day and Dec. 24-Jan 1 every year but float another week of days to be used consecutive or not. Basically, I get 3 weeks vacation. My parents learn at the interview they will pay 52 weeks per year regardless of closings for vacation, holidays, professional or personal days. The extra days or week I use I give as much notice as possible. This floating week of days is not used for my emergency days. Good luck!
I currently take 2 weeks vacation, 3 personal days and all the main holidays paid. My families pay 52 weeks per year. I am debating adding a 3rd week in the new year when I hand out new schedules/policies. I worry that 3 weeks is too much? I feel like I need it though-I take one vacation week during the Christmas Holidays and last year between the paid holidays and personal days I was able to take 2 full weeks off. Then a 2nd vacation in the summer and we spend it with my in laws-they take us so it's a free trip. The problem I have is I want to take a week vaca with my family on Spring Break and don't have enough days to cover it...
craftymissbeth 05:07 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I decide when I want mine and then give them plenty of notice. Sometimes they take the same time and sometimes not.

I don't charge them for my vacation as I figure they have to pay someone else during that time. They are not my employers so I don't expect them to pay for my vacation. I just budget throughout the year to cover it. I don't leave myself so tight that it would be a hardship.

Laurel
This is how I do my vacations, also. I completely agree with the bolded.
Play Care 05:27 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel

I actually pad my weekly rate to cover vacations. This works well for me (and actually I make more money this way then if they paid for the vacation )
MotherNature 05:52 AM 05-06-2014
I take 2 wks paid vacation and give them at least a month in advance. The parents also get two weeks free for vacation as well, so it evens out. I also have few paid holidays I'm closed for. This yr, I'm using my 2 wks as maternity leave, so it will be sort of a last minute announcement.
Kimskiddos 06:22 AM 05-06-2014
I take 2 weeks vacation each year (one in late winter/spring and another late summer/fall) I give them notice as soon as I know, which is at least 1 month. They figure out what they need to do. The only coordinating I may do is to take my spring vacation at Spring Break because I know many of them will be off anyway. I also have 5 personal days (paid) that I often end up using at Christmas time. My vacations weeks are technically unpaid. Tuition is paid monthly and is the same every month. I set my weekly rate at a place I felt compensated for and then average it out over the year. Weekly tuition x 50 weeks divided by 12 months. Works for me.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 05-06-2014
I take the same two weeks for vacation each year. One in the summer and one around Christmas time. Notice is given at the beginning of the year so parents have plenty of notice.
Annalee 07:02 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I currently take 2 weeks vacation, 3 personal days and all the main holidays paid. My families pay 52 weeks per year. I am debating adding a 3rd week in the new year when I hand out new schedules/policies. I worry that 3 weeks is too much? I feel like I need it though-I take one vacation week during the Christmas Holidays and last year between the paid holidays and personal days I was able to take 2 full weeks off. Then a 2nd vacation in the summer and we spend it with my in laws-they take us so it's a free trip. The problem I have is I want to take a week vaca with my family on Spring Break and don't have enough days to cover it...
Spring and Fall break are why I float the extra week, I can use a few days each time with my sons.
Laurel 08:52 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I actually pad my weekly rate to cover vacations. This works well for me (and actually I make more money this way then if they paid for the vacation )
That's a good idea. Then you could even tell them at the interview that you don't charge for your vacation and act like it is a perk they receive.

Laurel
originalkat 09:57 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I let them know at the beginning of the year because I renew my contracts at that time and hand out a schedule of days off. My current parents take the same time off. I charge full rate

A month's notice is sufficient, I wouldn't go less than 3 weeks if you're taking a week off. They need time to make arrangements.
I agree.
I give out a yearly calendar each August before the next school year starts with all holidays and vacations listed.
Rachel 10:20 AM 05-06-2014
I work a set schedule, holidays off, and 2 times in the year a week plus, both paid. One coordinates with Passover (usually 11 days off including weekends) and the second is in August (finish work Aug. 6th and go back to a new school year Aug. 27). Both are paid, but the August one is paid proportionately if a family wasn't with me from the beginning of the year for whatever reason (conversely, if a family leaves early they need to pay out what they owe on August, so I don't lose out except the year I was on maternity leave and only opened in December). In addition, I get 3 paid days off a year I can take whenever I want with 2 weeks notice. Any other time off I pay for backup care for those who want it.
Tags:time off, vacation, vacation paid
Reply Up