Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playdough
sharlan 11:24 AM 02-03-2015
Do you put out a few things to play with or do you put out tons?

Do you give each child one color or do you allow them to have several to mix up?
MissAnn 11:36 AM 02-03-2015
They can get it all out......we don't mix play dough......but we can mix clay.
Jack Sprat 11:39 AM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:

Do you give each child one color or do you allow them to have several to mix up?
We have a tote that has tools in it, lots of tools. They get out and use as many or little as they like.

I make my own dough so I don't mind the mixing colors. I just make more. They each get several colors.
Unregistered 02:06 PM 02-03-2015
I have a tub of toys. I let them use what they want. I have smaller cookie cutters. Like 2". They seem to use them better than full size. I make my own and color and scent it with powdered dry unsweetened Kool-aid.

I make one color at a time. Right now it's white for snow/winter. I'm a non mixer. It would be fun to set out the red with the white and let them mix it for valentines day. I think they should be allowed to mix it, but I like to keep it separate. That's just my hang up.

We do tons of fun, messy, creative stuff...I'm not afraid of a mess.....just don't mess up my playdoh!
momofsix 02:13 PM 02-03-2015
No mixing of colors until I'm getting ready to get rid of it and get new stuff. I have a plastic drawer with the tools/cutters they can have out. I switch out whats in the drawer based on theme/season.
jenboo 02:19 PM 02-03-2015
i do homemade playdough and just make one color (brown from the whole wheat flour )

the kids can get anything from the room and bring it to the table to play with it in the playdough. I don't have playdough specific toys.
Givingthemgrace 07:16 AM 02-04-2015
I usually just have a couple colors out, I make it myself so the batch is pretty big for one color. I usually keep the tools in storage, they come out every so often and I put the whole container on the table. Usually they like to use the tractors to "plow" the dough, monster trucks, toy animals...I have a few playdiugh mats that I printed and laminated, there are a lot of options on Pinterest for free.
finsup 08:55 AM 02-04-2015
I rotate what tools we use, but its always a good amount. Everyone shares. I don't care one bit about colors mixing lol. Doesn't bother the kids, doesn't bother me. As long as they put it away wit the lids on tight I'm happy!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:06 AM 02-04-2015
sometimes I make just one color. A couple of weeks ago I made 3 and we have had the option to mix. I have a lot of playdoh stuff. I rotate what I put out but there is always enough. Sometimes I don't put anything out and we just use our fingers
This is what it has been looking like lately-
https://www.facebook.com/MrsSteinels...type=1&theater
sometimes it looks like this
https://www.facebook.com/MrsSteinels...type=3&theater

I think tomorrow I may put it all in the sensory table and give them dinosaurs and rocks and such in there to tromp through
Unregistered 09:11 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:

I usually only have one color at a time as we use homemade so I just make a big double batch. I hand out enough toys for everyone to use a few but not them all.
daycarediva 09:19 AM 02-04-2015
I have a large tote of tools, playdoh mats, cookie cutters, plastic dishware (cupcakes are a HIT right now).

Then I have two bins, one for mixing, one for not. That way the kids can choose which they would prefer. I have a few who do NOT like mixing and one in particular who just sits there and kneads it all together.

I rotate my playdoh down, new goes in the no mix, and once it gets a little old/any gets accidentally mixed up, I move it to the mix bin. Once they are really mixed up, it goes in the trash.
Febby 02:10 PM 02-04-2015
I usually have a smallish bin with some tools (enough for everyone to have one plus a few). I only let them have one tool at a time.

I allow mixing but I only provide colors that blend together to make other colors (like red and yellow). I make my own so I just plan ahead when I making it.
MsLisa 10:13 AM 02-05-2015
I have a tote filled with big and little container of playdoh (both dollar store and Playdoh kind) and smaller bins with rollers, cutters and cut outs. I also have laminated print outs and a cupcake maker thingy from playdoh. Most of my playdoh is mixed. I tried to stop it in the beginning but, now i'm just happy if they don't lose the container or lid.
Tags:playdough
Reply Up