Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Off the Day After Thanksgiving
happykidschildcare 05:08 PM 11-19-2010
Who takes off the day after thanksgiving? This year I made a new parent policies and handed it out Sept 1st.... So I've had alot of parents ask, are you close the day after thanksgiving? Over the years I've bent over backwards to be open most days except thanksgiving and christmas, but as the years have gone by I've came think damn I work hard I deserve some paid holidays for a change. So I have it listed in my paid holidays,
CLOSED Thanksgiving Day & the day after
Christmas Day CLOSED/Christmas eve MAY CLOSE EARLY
New Year's Day CLOSED/ NYE MAY CLOSE EARLY
CLOSED Labor Day & Memorial Day /FRI before Memorial day MAY CLOSE EARLY
Independence Day (If any of the paid holidays fall on the weekend I reserve the right to take the before or following monday/ friday off.
Now I still stay open on the smaller of the holidays, so seriosuly is this alot of ask for to be paid for these bigger holidays? This is also the first year I'm implementing being able to take 5 sick days off paid. When I take vacation I take it without pay, and allow parents 2 weeks per year (1 week no pay the 2nd week 1/2 price But they do have to use it in 5 consecutive days.
SilverSabre25 05:26 PM 11-19-2010
I take off the day after T-day. I need the four day weekend!! I take off the same holidays as you the rest of the time. Parents haven't complained yet.
DCMomOf3 05:49 PM 11-19-2010
I take the day off as well. Most people around here don't work that day so why should I?
marniewon 05:51 PM 11-19-2010
I take the same holidays that you do. I do take the day after Thanksgiving off - my family lives in another town 2 hours away, and we usually go there for Turkey Day weekend.

For vacations, I take 1 week paid, 1 week unpaid. I allow my families to take 1 week unpaid.
Lucy 08:17 PM 11-19-2010
I have always taken off the day after. I worked for 13 years outside the home and always had it off, and to my knowledge, MOST people get it off.. unless they work retail or medical or something. I feel like if I worked that day, the parents would bring the kids and then go shopping or something. Nope. Not gonna do it. And I get paid for it too, btw.
Unregistered 06:26 AM 11-20-2010
I work at a mid size preschool/daycare and we took that day off too. We always do. A few workers volunteered to work Black Friday, but they did this on their own (with permission from the owner) and as a way to earn extra money. It will just be a "fun day" for kids with movies, pizza and games. The volunteers are charging more than the usual daily fee and will get to keep it all. As far as I'm concerned they deserve it. Last year, the sign-up filled to capacity fast. This year, only a few parents have signed on so far. The volunteers are considering cancelling if more don't sign up by Monday night. Either parents want to be with their kids or they just can't afford it.
SandeeAR 02:02 PM 11-20-2010
I take off Thanksgiving and the day after. Also, Christmas Day and the Day after. All unpaid.
TGT09 02:38 PM 11-20-2010
I take off the day after Thanksgiving and have had it in my handbook since the beginning. However, every year I have parents commenting...."Hey, so and so won't be there Friday"....my response is "well good because I'm not open". lol
kidkair 06:28 AM 11-21-2010
I had one client talking about how she won't be able to visit out of town family because she works Friday and won't be able to get her kid until 5:15pm. I laughed and said "Really? Who's taking him that day? I'm closed!" Totally made her rethink her excuse Of course I also wanted to state that she could pick her kid up at 3:30 when she is done with work she just chooses to not do so. (I don't mind since her kid and another are best buds and tend to leave with less fuss if both are picked up at the same time. Plus they are the last two every day and so if she picked up earlier than I'd be stuck with one kid for awhile and I'm not big on having only one kid here.)
Unregistered 06:32 AM 11-21-2010
My PAID Holidays are as follows:
New Years Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
The day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Years Eve

My PAID Sick days and Personal Days are as follows:
3 Sicks days a year
3 Personal days a year

My vacation is as follows:
1 UNPAID week vaction a year

My parents vacation is as follows:
1 UNPAID week vacation a year
kidkair 06:36 AM 11-21-2010
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
Who takes off the day after thanksgiving? This year I made a new parent policies and handed it out Sept 1st.... So I've had alot of parents ask, are you close the day after thanksgiving? Over the years I've bent over backwards to be open most days except thanksgiving and christmas, but as the years have gone by I've came think damn I work hard I deserve some paid holidays for a change. So I have it listed in my paid holidays,
Independence Day (If any of the paid holidays fall on the weekend I reserve the right to take the before or following monday/ friday off.
Now I still stay open on the smaller of the holidays, so seriosuly is this alot of ask for to be paid for these bigger holidays? This is also the first year I'm implementing being able to take 5 sick days off paid. When I take vacation I take it without pay, and allow parents 2 weeks per year (1 week no pay the 2nd week 1/2 price But they do have to use it in 5 consecutive days.
Glad you are standing up for your right to some time off! Here's what I take off all paid:
New Year's Eve and Day
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day and the following day
Christmas Day
Plus 5 personal days
and two weeks of vacation

I don't substitute days if the holidays land on weekend days. I can a day or more off every month this way and I believe that is necessary for getting adequate rest. I am very much looking forward to my 4 day weekend
melissa ann 07:57 AM 11-21-2010
I am closed:
Thanks/day after
Christmas Eve ( I have thought about closing early, since we have church at 4pm, but my dcf are almost always late at picking up, so I just close)
Christmas Day
new year's eve/new years day
Good Friday
Memorial day
July 4
Labor day
countrymom 04:36 PM 11-21-2010
I do and I'm canadian, hehe, I've been shopping on that day for years, so much better deals than in canada.
AnythingsPossible 06:25 PM 11-21-2010
After the first few years of only having one or two kids, I too close the day after Thanksgiving. I usually close early on Christmas Eve and am closed Christmas day and the day after to give my kids time to enjoy and myself time to clean up. I take all my holidays unpaid though.
SilverSabre25 06:38 PM 11-21-2010
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
After the first few years of only having one or two kids, I too close the day after Thanksgiving. I usually close early on Christmas Eve and am closed Christmas day and the day after to give my kids time to enjoy and myself time to clean up. I take all my holidays unpaid though.
Hmm...do you ever have trouble with people complaining about you taking the day after Christmas off? I like that idea--of giving yourself more time to clean up and enjoy the gifts.
momma2girls 05:03 AM 11-22-2010
I close the day after THanksgiving as one of my paid Holidays. Also Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
legomom922 05:05 AM 11-22-2010
I take the day AFTER Christmas also. No one has ever complained either.

I know I am the minority again, but I am open the day after Thanksgiving because it just doesnt mean anything to me, and the mall or shopping is the last thing I would want to do anyway.

I am closed these days and these are paid if it is there regular scheduled day:

New Years Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day and the Friday preceeding it
Fourth of July and the day or Friday preceeding it(depending on what day it falls on)
Labor Day and the Friday preceeding it
Columbus Day and the Friday preceeding it
Thankgiving Day
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

I close early on:

New Years Eve at 3pm

I open later on the First day of school

I take 1 unpaid wk of vacation and unpaid sick days

Parents have to pay for their vacation and I give them 3 free sick days/yr.

I have a teachers kid, and they must pay 50% of their normal fee and they are welcomed to bring their kid up to 2 days/wk
SandeeAR 05:16 AM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Hmm...do you ever have trouble with people complaining about you taking the day after Christmas off? I like that idea--of giving yourself more time to clean up and enjoy the gifts.
No complaints. I take the Day After, instead of Christmas Eve. My kids go to the In Laws on Christmas Eve and we do Christmas Day Dinner, not lunch, so I have plenty of time to get ready.
WImom 12:02 PM 11-22-2010
I'm closed the day after thanksgiving and will be out Black Friday Shopping. I also close both christmas/new years eve as well. If my husband has off as a paid holiday from work I'm off as well.
SilverSabre25 01:09 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I take the day AFTER Christmas also. No one has ever complained either.

I know I am the minority again, but I am open the day after Thanksgiving because it just doesnt mean anything to me, and the mall or shopping is the last thing I would want to do anyway.
I'm not taking it for shopping; I don't go BF shopping. I take it to get myself a four day weekend--something I haven't had since September and I'm desperate for a break.
legomom922 06:37 AM 11-23-2010
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesnt go shopping! Besides, I'm already done...
nikia 06:38 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesnt go shopping! Besides, I'm already done...
So jealous. I havent even started
legomom922 06:44 AM 11-23-2010
I hate the crowds, the traffic, etc, so I always make sure I am done before Thanksgiving. That way I can just sit back and enjoy everything else. less stress that way.
tymaboy 06:47 AM 11-23-2010
I take

New Year’s Eve
New Year’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 11-23-2010
I take the day off too. It used to be because we traveled out of town, but now that my own children are older, I take the day off to shop.....in my jammies with a cup of coffee (sometimes with a little rum ) in front of the computer! Online deals are sometimes better! No pushy people and most places offer special on-line deals and free shipping!
marniewon 06:55 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I take the day off to shop.....in my jammies with a cup of coffee (sometimes with a little rum ) in front of the computer! Online deals are sometimes better! No pushy people and most places offer special on-line deals and free shipping!
LOL - I was just imagining someone out at the mall in their bathrobe and fuzzy slippers.....until I read the part about "in front of the computer"!!
laundrymom 10:10 AM 11-23-2010
for me I dont think its the bargains,... although I have had many many things I got super cheap. But it is just "black friday". Its a tradition,.. kind of like memorial day camping. We just do it. loads of people, sometimes horrible weather, very overcrowded, but,.. year after year we are there, standing in line waiting for the festivities. lol

Originally Posted by marniewon:
LOL - I was just imagining someone out at the mall in their bathrobe and fuzzy slippers.....until I read the part about "in front of the computer"!!

momofsix 10:29 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
for me I dont think its the bargains,... although I have had many many things I got super cheap. But it is just "black friday". Its a tradition,.. kind of like memorial day camping. We just do it. loads of people, sometimes horrible weather, very overcrowded, but,.. year after year we are there, standing in line waiting for the festivities. lol
That's me exactly! I have a ball, try to be EXTRA nice to those poor souls that have to get up and work and get pretty much ALL my shopping finished!
MarinaVanessa 10:40 AM 11-23-2010
I also take the day after thanksgiving off and am closed. I spend the early part of Thanksgiving with my fiance's family for a Thanksgiving lunch and then in the early afternoon we head out to my family's which is about 1hr and a half away for dinner. Sometimes we leave the same day and sometimes we stay the night.

I also close Christmas Eve because we celebrate Noche Buena which is the day before Christmas. Then on Christmas we head over to my fiance's parents house for their gift opening. My fiance works at the government center so I close every court holiday (every holiday he has off).
actaktmdt 11:58 AM 11-23-2010
I am not closed this year but will be next year. The dc parents didn't realize that they sent me a txt saying dad wanted to be kids free 4 his day off. My girl who's here everday mom has 4 days off and it will be a nice break.
GretasLittleFriends 01:09 PM 11-23-2010
Technically I'm open, but I am 99% sure I won't have any kids other than our 3. There may be one, but there are some personal problems so i dont know yet... I am looking forward to some family time.
Unregistered 07:01 PM 08-28-2012
I just changed my holidays this year. Live in Rhode Island and we normally have VJ day off in August it's a Rhode Island holiday anyway so the owners and myself the director thought it would be nice to swap that august holiday that no one care about for the Friday after thanksgiving so the staff could have a good 4 days off with family. Two parents flipped out stating that when we opened in 2009 it was not this way and we have never been closed that day before. Well there is no agreement that says we can't change our holiday schedule. I just don't see the problem. You find someone to watch your child every other holiday that we are closed and you have to work and you have to pay for the day even though we are closed so why is that Friday any different ? So annoyed child care staff hardly get any days off we don't close for a week vacation or anything we all work very hard and deserve a four day weekend
laundrymom 03:36 AM 08-29-2012
Lol im heartless i guess, Am I the only one who doesn't worry about who keeps the kids if I'm closed? I hand out my vacation schedule each September. It's their responsibility to find alternative care.

If a parent is angry about me taking time off they know better than to say anything about it. I mean how many times do they get off early and NOT come get their little sweeties, so I may do the same. ???

I dare someone to be rude enough to confront me about my little time off.
brookeroo 05:02 AM 08-29-2012
This is in my manual. No one has complained about it. I will be handing mine out each year in January and I post a sign on the door with reminders of each day I am closed at the beginning of the month.

DAYCARE IS CLOSED ON THESE DATES WITH NO EXCEPTIONS:

Please keep in perspective, while balancing schedules of all parents that my work day typically will be approximately up to 12 hour days, 5 days a week. By participating within this daycare you understand and agree that I will be conservatively observing some paid holidays and will reserve the right to take unpaid vacation time at my discretion.

I will give you at least 1 month’s notice prior to taking vacation time lasting two or more consecutive days and at least 2 weeks prior to taking time off for any (planned i.e. non-emergent) personal, dental or health related days off for me or my family.

PAID HOLIDAY VACATION DAYS
On these days the daycare will be closed. There will still be a regular weekly rate charged
• New Years Day
• Memorial Day
• 4th of July
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving (Thursday & Friday)

NON-PAID HOLIDAY VACATION DAYS
During these times there will be no weekly/daily rate
• The week of Christmas through New Years
• Other vacation days taken outside of the above described holidays
DaisyMamma 06:20 AM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
I think you are extremely generous, actually. I have a weeks paid vacation and major and minor holidays, plus christmas eve, dec. 26 and the day after thanksgiving and 3 paid sick days. Any holidays that fall on the weekend I take Fri or Mon.
MsMe 07:09 AM 08-29-2012
I take Christmas eve off early, Christmas, and the day after.
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 08-29-2012
Lol im heartless i guess, Am I the only one who doesn't worry about who keeps the kids if I'm closed? I hand out my vacation schedule each September. It's their responsibility to find alternative care.

If a parent is angry about me taking time off they know better than to say anything about it. I mean how many times do they get off early and NOT come get their little sweeties, so I may do the same. ???

No, you are NOT heartless...just not taking the guilt for what is someone else's responsibilty. I dont worry one but about the kids either when I am closed.

I think child care providers (or any small business owner) can run their business any way they choose. People do not have to seek services with you. No one forces anyone to use a child care provider they don't want to use.

I think you are allowed to take whatever days off you want and as frequently as you want and if it is in your contract, and the parents agree to it, then what they do with their kids on those days has NO bearing on me.

I have never given one second to worrying about what parents will do if I am closed....because again, not MY problem. I have never worried about them having to pay another sitter or having to take time off themselves.

I guess I just don't give it any thought. I am closed, for what I feel is a reasonable amount of time each year and my DC families all deal just fine with it. No one has complained yet.
cheerfuldom 03:07 PM 08-29-2012

this is me. I dont care if the parents complain or act ridiculous...I take all my time off as outlined in my contract and never feel guilty about it....why should I?? If the parents dont come up with a backup plan, not my problem.
thatdivalady 04:49 PM 08-29-2012
We have all Federal holidays off plus some extra to total 15 paid holidays. Keep in mind that we are operate 24/7 by contract so we added in weekend holidays. We also observe the Friday before or the Monday after for holidays that fall on the weekend that do not ordinarily do so.

Excerpt from handbook: Please keep in mind that we operate more hours per week than typical child care organizations. As such, we need time to recharge just as you undoubtedly need that time from your respective jobs. We will be closed on the following days:

New Years Day
Martin Luther King Day
Good Friday
Easter Sunday
Easter Monday
Mothers Day
Memorial Day
Fathers Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Black Friday
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Years Eve

We also have 2 weeks of vacation per year, but unpaid. I took a page out of Tom Copeland's book and simply have a higher rate each week that compensates for the time off.
Unregistered 11:49 AM 11-09-2012
I absolutly think that is ridiculous. I work the day after thanksgiving, and I have to hire someone else to watch my kids so that the daycare provider can go shopping?

Sorry I don't get a paid holiday as a Banker.
Tags:day off, paid holidays
Reply Up