Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"W" Sitting
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:33 AM 12-12-2017
In the past I know it was big no, but then I remember reading an article or two about how the consensus was shifting. That it allowed kids who didn't didn't have great core strength a sturdy base to do more sitting on the floor activities without doing harm to the joints as was previously thought.

I hadn't thought about in awhile, but just noticed my 14 month old dcb doing it (no concerns about abnormal core strength present). I will do an updated bout of reading later, but was just wondering what the general take on it was in the daycare world. Especially from those of you that have PT/OT coming for therapies.
kendallina 08:38 AM 12-12-2017
If I have a child who is in therapy or has a medical condition related to poor core strength then I will correct it when I see it(if I know parents are correcting at home). I don't correct every child who does it
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 12-12-2017
Another thread about sitting in W position

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61301
CityGarden 09:14 AM 12-12-2017
I have a dcb who does this in addition to sitting this way I notice he does not run with as much balance as the other children.

I mentioned it to DCM who asked their pediatrician she was told to discourage it and correct it when they observe it but they seem to not be too concerned about it.

I will say dcb is not behind developmentally other than his balance and large motor skills which he is not "behind" but he does not display them with balance so it feels less safe when he, runs, climbs, etc.
Ariana 09:17 AM 12-12-2017
My eldest daughter sat like this and is one of the “symptoms” of Sensory Processing Disorder. She has a lot of those but has not been diagnosed and since it doesn’t interfere with anything we haven’t bothered. SPD in general has a lot of motor development delays and issues so I personally feel the W sitting does not CAUSE developmental issues but is a result of a preexisting condition like SPD. So some kids who sit W are fine and some have SPD.

Hope that makes sense!
daycarediva 11:34 AM 12-12-2017
I correct it. I know several OT's and PT's, who still recommend correction. If the kids are compensating for lack of trunk muscles, we work on those throughout the day as well.

Reaching across the midline, hand preference delay (no trunk rotation, so they pick up and transfer instead of reaching)

etc.
Tags:sitting - w position
Reply Up