Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Thinking Out Loud Here
Josiegirl 08:40 AM 12-08-2018
And maybe you can help me.
Just met with a very sweet nice family with an adorable happy little 2 1/2 yo boy. He'd come 3 days a week. There's nothing written up by a dr. but the parents prefer non-gluten non-dairy, due to the fact that there is a family history of those sensitivities. We discussed it a little bit and I told them I'd talk with my FP sponsor to see what my options are. But since it's not dr. ordered, I'm pretty sure I know what she'd say. The parents even said they'd be happy to supply meals and almond milk so it's almost not an issue. Well, the only issues I can foresee are possibly other dcks throwing a fit if they don't get the same foods and issues surrounding birthdays/other celebrations where other foods might be offered.
What are your feelings about this? Do you think it'd work out for the parents to supply meals? Or would it be a better idea to buy non-gluten products? But then that doesn't help with the dairy issue.
Any insight for me? Thanks!!!
Firefly 11:03 AM 12-08-2018
I guess I wouldn’t see an issue with the parents supplying the food. My daycare kids bring their own lunches everyday and I’ve never had an issue with kids throwing fits. That could depend on the kids though.
e.j. 12:52 PM 12-08-2018
Personally, I'd ask that the parent supply the food. Many foods are gluten free (veggies, fruits, rice, quinoa, etc) but some prepared gluten free foods like breads can be very pricey. Also, gluten can "hide" in a lot of foods so you have to be very careful about reading ingredients. My dd has many food allergies, including gluten and dairy and while it's become easier with time and practice, it can present some challenges when I'm making meals for all of us. I wouldn't want to take on that responsibility for someone else's child if I didn't have to.

I've had dc kids with food allergies (dairy, peanuts, soy) and preferences (vegetarian). Although the other kids have noticed and commented on the fact that their food is different, it's never been an issue once I explain that that's what the child's mother sent for him/her to eat. For birthdays or other celebrations, the mom of the child with dairy allergies has either baked cupcakes for all of the kids to eat or we buy something similar. If I serve ice cream sandwiches, she may bring in some diary free "ice cream" sandwiches for her child to eat.
Michael 02:55 PM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Many foods are gluten free (veggies, fruits, rice, quinoa, etc) but some prepared gluten free foods like breads can be very pricey. Also, gluten can "hide" in a lot of foods so you have to be very careful about reading ingredients.
This is true but these days it is so much easier to control it. Many packages offer gluten-free markings. I find that these types of foods are so much better for children's intestinal tract. Which results in much less smelly gas and stools.
rosieteddy 06:22 PM 12-08-2018
Without a proven allergy I would decline the family.If all kids were bringing their lunch then ok,Not only would the other kids want what he is eating,He may fuss for the lunch you are providing.To me you are opening yourself up to a lot of hassle.
e.j. 09:02 PM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by Michael:
This is true but these days it is so much easier to control it. Many packages offer gluten-free markings. I find that these types of foods are so much better for children's intestinal tract. Which results in much less smelly gas and stools.
The GF labeling has made things easier and just in the last couple of years it seems, there are more and more stores that are offering more gf products. Even with the GF label, though, you have to be careful. I bought a bag of dried apricots from BJ's with the GF label on the front. My dd opened the bag to eat some but then decided to check the labeling information on the back of the bag just to make sure it was okay for her to eat. Sure enough, she found a warning stating that the apricots were processed in a facility that also processed wheat products. I hadn't thought to look for that and was surprised they could still label it GF. After looking it up, I found they can - or at least they could at the time. Not sure if that's been changed since.
Josiegirl 02:56 AM 12-09-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Without a proven allergy I would decline the family.If all kids were bringing their lunch then ok,Not only would the other kids want what he is eating,He may fuss for the lunch you are providing.To me you are opening yourself up to a lot of hassle.
I thought of that but this family seems SO nice to work with in every other way. They even offered to correlate their ds's menu with my own to prevent the problem of dcks wanting something they don't have. The dad apologized for their ds's boots making 1 step on my carpet yesterday. They expect ds to pick up his toys. Just certain things people do that make you think they'd be really good in your dc. I had an issue with my printer before they came and always have a nice folder ready for potential dcfs to take with them. I apologized to them that my printer had stopped and I couldn't offer it to them at that time and the dad offered to take a look right away; I guess one of his jobs is tech related web design type stuff.
Anyways, I told them we could talk more at length about the GF and DF if they decided to enroll their child. They were very open about days needed and more than willing to bring food. I did tell them we could try it and see how it worked out. I think I'm leaning that way. GF, and DF are both getting pricey and with the FP's WG requirements and dr. notes required, it gets trickier. At this stage in the game, I don't like doing 'tricky' anymore.
Thank you everybody!! Others' insight always helps me think things through more thoroughly.
rosieteddy 05:11 AM 12-09-2018
If they offered to corelate the menu you offer and you really liked the family then go for it.Maybe you could ask them to also provide snacks (crackers)that all the children could share.As I said in other threads after awhile I picked 5 meals to repeat each week.Kids seemed happy to know what was served on what day.I used fruits and veggies whatever I had but they knew Monday was turkey sandwich ,Tues pasta with meat sauce ect.That would make it easy for the new child to bring like minded foods.
skipper 05:29 AM 12-09-2018
I have a couple of children in my care with similar dietary restrictions.
I require that the parents supply all of the child's food. It's easy, they just send along a labeled lunchbox each day and that is all the child eats (they always send more than enough!) It totally takes the stress off of me.

As for the other kids, that's life, you can't always get what you want right? They deal with it. I wouldn't even consider mamby-pambying over food jealousy, especially when it's for health reasons!
Ariana 02:41 PM 12-09-2018
I would do it personally because we eliminate these foods already for the most part BUT for someone not used to it, it can seem daunting. If the parents are willing to supply the food then why not!

For birthdays etc I would simply let the parent know and ask them to supply a different food. I had to do that for my kids and it was no big deal for them or the other kids involved. If other kids asked I simply explained that they cannot eat that because of allergies (I was asked at a birthday party once when my daughter had a cupcake while they were eating an ice cream cake). I think telling the daycare kids upfront that they eat special food will help and in the end it is a lesson in “you don’t always get what you want” if they make a fuss!
Unregistered 04:19 PM 12-09-2018
I worked at a center with a child with extremly vigilant parents. They packed all her food. They sent her special water (she was not allowed to drink tap water.. EVER). The other kids never complained, and would even say "thats abies special food." This 4 year old was gluten, High fructose corn syrup, Red dye 40, Tap water, milk, Meat free. The parents would provide shelf stable treats. They were kept in a box in the kitchen for days that the kids would get birthday treats. Holidays she would bring her own treats (sometimes even enough for everyone). Last summer we had Popsicle and she was not allowed to have them (dye, corn syrup). Mom brought her fruit Popsicle the next day so she wouldnt be left out. As long as the parent is bringing food, it should work well. We were on the food program and the child did not have a note.
Baby Beluga 07:39 AM 12-10-2018
Late to the party, but I don't see an issue with teaching children that someone is eating something different because of a health issue. Both of my kids have allergies. They sometimes eat different things then us adults and sometimes eat different things from other kids as well. It's a non issue for us as it's just part of life. I think it's important to learn from a young age that everyone is different and have different needs as well. If us adults don't make it an issue, children will learn not to make it an issue as well

As long as the parents are packing healthy, well rounded meals and not junk, I'd say allow them to provide meals and go for it.
Josiegirl 10:22 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Late to the party, but I don't see an issue with teaching children that someone is eating something different because of a health issue. Both of my kids have allergies. They sometimes eat different things then us adults and sometimes eat different things from other kids as well. It's a non issue for us as it's just part of life. I think it's important to learn from a young age that everyone is different and have different needs as well. If us adults don't make it an issue, children will learn not to make it an issue as well

As long as the parents are packing healthy, well rounded meals and not junk, I'd say allow them to provide meals and go for it.
I've come to agree with you and others who showed me this side. I shouldn't go out of my way to worry about everyone getting the same thing; there are so many other times I don't, so why does this concern me? It shouldn't. If I do hear back from them, I'll ask that they provide their son's foods; I don't want or need the responsibility of giving him something that'll cause issues.
I simply won't be claiming him on the food program.
Tags:food allergies, gluten free, special meals
Reply Up