Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breaking Bottle To Sleep Habit
actaktmdt 07:44 AM 02-15-2011
I can tell that my new 6 month old dc girl is used to being given a bottle to go to sleep but I cant do that. She does not take pacifer. Help me. the gardien had only had her for 2 weeks.
cillybean83 07:50 AM 02-15-2011
when you find out...let me know...my 14 month old wants a bottle to go to bed with....I'm trying to get him off the bottle period, and finally found sippy cups that he likes, but at bedtime or nap time, he wants that bottle!
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 02-15-2011
I broke my son of this when he was 12 months old by only giving him water in the bottle for bedtime. I gradually decreased the amount of water and eventually he just didn't want it any more.
dEHmom 07:54 AM 02-15-2011
for all 3 of mine, I did the cold turkey....

slowly during the day ween off the bottle (so they only have 1 bottle for bedtime only).

Then, whatever day is your day to stop, you say your goodnights, and leave the room. Do not give in. They will cry for a long time, and it's hard I know. But if you try and give in, the next time that long time will become even longer. and the next time even longer.

Do not engage with them. If they get out of their room, you put them back in back, don't make eye contact, don't talk to them, just say bedtime, goodnight, and turn around and leave. Each time you contact with them, you are starting it over again. You renew their energy. It's not easy, and that's why i tell everyone I know with a baby, don't ever let them start the bedtime bottles!

You may have to continue this for a day or two, sometimes more, but don't give in! It's not easy, and parents have to be on the same page as well. One can't be giving in.

I also tried the water bottle deal, and that did not go well. They had no interest in drinking the water, so they just chucked the bottle and did it the same as I mentioned above.

Some people give the milk an off taste, water it down more and more, etc. That might work as well
Unregistered 08:07 AM 02-15-2011
That would be my advise, black cat summed it up just right. Kids really dont need to have a bottle at bedtime. I have broken two diffrent kids in this dc from that habit and the parents where thrilled. Good luck.
Debbie
Zoe 11:01 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
for all 3 of mine, I did the cold turkey....

slowly during the day ween off the bottle (so they only have 1 bottle for bedtime only).

Then, whatever day is your day to stop, you say your goodnights, and leave the room. Do not give in. They will cry for a long time, and it's hard I know. But if you try and give in, the next time that long time will become even longer. and the next time even longer.

Do not engage with them. If they get out of their room, you put them back in back, don't make eye contact, don't talk to them, just say bedtime, goodnight, and turn around and leave. Each time you contact with them, you are starting it over again. You renew their energy. It's not easy, and that's why i tell everyone I know with a baby, don't ever let them start the bedtime bottles!

You may have to continue this for a day or two, sometimes more, but don't give in! It's not easy, and parents have to be on the same page as well. One can't be giving in.

I also tried the water bottle deal, and that did not go well. They had no interest in drinking the water, so they just chucked the bottle and did it the same as I mentioned above.

Some people give the milk an off taste, water it down more and more, etc. That might work as well
This is what I have done as well. It is really hard, especially with your own kids, but it needs to be done. They are manipulating you, yes, even that young, because they've learned that crying equals you coming to give them what they needs. It will stop, I promise.

I've been told not to give them bottles to fall asleep to because it's bad for their teeth, as well as leaks on the sheets, etc. So it's important to break the habit.
Tags:bottle, bottle to cup, pacifier, sippy cup
Reply Up