Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tier 1 Tier 2 Program??
Unregistered 06:43 AM 05-16-2010
I have been looking into the food program and noticed that they tier 1 pays more than tier 2.

How do they decide which tier we get?
actaktmdt 10:05 AM 05-16-2010
Its deterimined by the school closest to your homes rate of free and reduced school breakfast and lunch. If more than 50% you are automaticlly a tier 1 if you end up falling in a tier 2 area then families can apply for there child to get the tier 1 rates based on income
HeatherB 10:40 AM 05-16-2010
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
Its deterimined by the school closest to your homes rate of free and reduced school breakfast and lunch. If more than 50% you are automaticlly a tier 1 if you end up falling in a tier 2 area then families can apply for there child to get the tier 1 rates based on income
Yeap that is how it is here in OHIO too. Unsure if it is different depending on what state you are in.
Unregistered 01:03 PM 05-16-2010
Thanks for the info. I looked up statistics in my area for free and reduced lunch. The school near me is only 6% free and reduced lunch. I think I'll end up with the tier 2 after all unless I get a few parents that qualify.

:-)
emosks 08:07 AM 05-17-2010
We are Tier 2 and honestly even though it is less than Tier 1...it helps out so much!
boysx5 08:40 AM 05-17-2010
here it goes by what you make as a household it does help getting even a few dollars each month if you feed the kids anyway I find its not too much trouble to do it
TomCopeland 09:37 AM 06-04-2010
The Food Program rules are the same in every state. You can qualify for the higher Tier I rate if you live in a low income area (school district), serve low income children, or if your own family is low income. Contact a local Food Program sponsor who can tell you if you meet any one of these three ways to qualify for Tier I.
grandmom 12:38 PM 06-04-2010
Hey Tom! When are you coming to WA! I want to attend one of your conferences.
Janet 02:24 PM 06-04-2010
I can never remember which tier is which, all I know is that I am on the food program and I am paid at the tier that is way less!
MARSTELAC 09:28 AM 10-18-2010
My daycare gets reimbursed on the lower tier rates. I know I have several families that would qualify me for the higher reimbursement rate but I cannot get them to fill out the paperwork. Anyone else have this issue?
marniewon 11:46 AM 10-18-2010
I really don't understand the logic in this one. Whether the school kids in my closest school gets free/reduced lunches has no bearing on the price I pay at the supermarket!! I pay the same as the person who makes $5K a year and the same as the person who makes $500K a year! And....just because the kids at your closest school get reduced lunches, doesn't mean that the provider buying the food for the daycare is low income! It all costs the same - so why the different tiers?
TomCopeland 02:21 PM 10-18-2010
The reason we have two tiers for food reimbursement is that Congress was looking for a way to reduce the budget deficit and decided to give less money to providers who were not low income or not serving low income children. We fought and lost this battle years ago.
Tags:ohio, tier 1, tier 2
Reply Up