Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fans in Daycare Area
mac60 10:03 AM 06-18-2010
Just wondering, how many of you use fans in your daycare. With our heat now reaching into the 90's, we have the air set on 76/77, and I have 2 floor fans and a ceiling fan in the family room/daycare room. I make sure every child has some air circulating on them at nap, whether it be a ceiling fan or floor fan. I know one of my families said they don't own a fan. I am like OMG, I can't imagine not having a fan, especially that it is common for our heat to go into the high 80's to the mid 90's thru the summer.
Greenshadow 10:11 AM 06-18-2010
I set my thermostat at about 75 and dont use fans. Its stays nice and cool here. My own children use a fan in their room at night but not to cool things down. Its used for the white noise. I use one in my room at night. I cant sleep without it.
Golden Rule 10:12 AM 06-18-2010
I use a box fan during naptime for "white noise" (part of our sleep routine). It is located behind the baby gate in front of the stairs. They love it...

To wake them up, all I have to do is turn it off... They immediately sit up and start folding their blankets...
tymaboy 10:22 AM 06-18-2010
I do not use them but if I needed them I would! The nap room is the only room that has a ceiling fan but it needs fixed so I dont use it. The rest of the rooms stay decent when the air is on.
Vesta 10:24 AM 06-18-2010
We use a vornado room circulator (it's tiny) sitting right in front of the register. It works wonders. We have ceiling fans in the daycare, dining room, and kitchen.
Now that I think about it there's a fan of one sort or another in each room.
We also have an attic fan that I start first thing in the morning to bring in the morning air, it runs until the thermostat hits 80, then I close up the house and run the AC at 79. The fans keep the air moving, so it is cool enough.

I hate high electricity rates (I don't even use my dryer in the summer) so I tend to keep it on the warmer side, but no one is complaining (even my own kid, who runs hot), so I guess it's good.
originalkat 11:00 AM 06-18-2010
We have an old house (built in 1900) with old windows. We keep our Air set at 74 degrees. I have ceiling fans in the kitchen, bedrooms, and living room. We also have a large vornado fan in the stairway leading upstairs.

I close the blinds in the afternoon to keep the heat out as well.
AmandasFCC 11:46 AM 06-18-2010
I'm VERY fortunate in that my basement is very cool, even in the summer. My naproom is ALWAYS chilly, even when it's 100 degrees outside, so no, I don't use fans. And I don't have central air or air conditioning either... I love my house
momma2girls 11:51 AM 06-18-2010
I know a friend of mine that does daycare, has a fan running in every room to drown out noise at naptime- she either has a fan, or music in every room. SHe says the children all sleep very well, with some kind of noise!
originalkat 12:24 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I know a friend of mine that does daycare, has a fan running in every room to drown out noise at naptime- she either has a fan, or music in every room. SHe says the children all sleep very well, with some kind of noise!
I also ALWAYS have noise--music in the nap room and a fan leading upstairs where my daughters room is. They all sleep well and I dont have to worry about being quiet.
mac60 02:56 PM 06-18-2010
I use them in the summer because it is much cheaper to run the fans and keep the air set on 77/78 than to set the temp to lower degrees. Our electric bills runs around $125 now.
Unregistered 03:02 PM 06-18-2010
I have a celing fan and a fan that stands off the floor I use both fans all Summer long as we live in the South and it is hot I also use the fan that sits on the floor for nap time threw out the year the kids sleep much better and when I turn the fan off they are up either right away or within 5 to 10 minutes. Hubby and me sleep with a fan in our room and the kids each have one in theirs also.
nannyde 03:34 PM 06-18-2010
I keep the house cool year around. I keep the thermostat at 64 in the winter and 68 in the summer. I'm VERY hot blooded. I can't manage the high temps. Even the 68 in the summer is a problem for me.

I have a slew of sweatshirts, sweatpants, and footed jammies for the kids to cover their clothes. I also have dampers on the vents to the basement. In the summer I keep the basement dampers completely closed. I keep them completely open in the winter. I try to keep the basement warmer for the kids and the first floor cooler for me. It's harder in the summer than the winter. I use a lot more of my overclothes on the kids in the summer.

In the winter as soon as the temps hit 40 outside I open all the windows I love cold air in the house. In the summer as soon as it's 70 outside I turn on the air. I HATE hot air.

NO fans except ceiling fans. I'm too worried about kids sticking their fingers in them.

My utilities are higher in the summer than the winter. My house is well insulated so I don't have too high of bills. I also have a new furnace and air, new roof, and most of the outer walls of the house have been stripped down to the sticks and new high efficiency insulation put in. I'm going to try to replace the attic insulation this summer.

From March until May and then October and November I usually don't have to run either furnace or air. In these months I pay the normal utility bill even though I'm using less power so that when summer and winter come I have a good credit with the company. This helps absorb the higher rates during peak seasons.
momma2girls 03:37 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I use them in the summer because it is much cheaper to run the fans and keep the air set on 77/78 than to set the temp to lower degrees. Our electric bills runs around $125 now.
I am the same way- I run the air at about 76/77 all summer long- our elec. bills are cheap as well. Every little bit helps out!!
actaktmdt 03:58 PM 06-18-2010
I have a ceiling fan in my kitchen and in my daughters room....only use the kitchen one...we have a vornado fan but its used with dc kids around...its against licencing rules to use anything other that celingfans..
Tags:cooling, fans
Reply Up