Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Input and Advise On Infants That Suffer From Drug Withdrawls
heartsberry 07:52 PM 06-22-2010
I just started caring for a six week old which is suffering from withdrawls of cocaine. Can any of you share some advise, resources, care tips on this issue? Thanks in advance!
Michael 08:00 PM 06-22-2010
First thing I would say is contact your local authorities. That is child abuse plain and simple. How do you know the mother was abusing cocaine?

To report suspected child abuse in Michigan, call county law enforcement office or any county Department of Human Services.
For national child abuse information, call Childhelp®, 800-4-A-CHILD (800-422-4453), or your local CPS agency.
heartsberry 08:09 PM 06-22-2010
Thank you for your concern...in this case the authorities are not required, this infant has been legally adopted in this condition. I am just looking for additional advise and information on the matter.
Michael 08:16 PM 06-22-2010
Well, I would get a doctor's advice. Here is some info on neonatal abstinence syndrome:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/...geS1338P0.html
QualiTcare 08:20 PM 06-22-2010
how old is the baby and is it taking medicine? i know of a baby whose mother did drugs while she was pregnant. i didn't take care of her, but i was in the room (with no wall) right beside of her and talked to the caregivers about it.

if the drug use was severe - the withdrawals severe - the baby would probably be taking medicine. the baby i know did. but really, there wasn't anything special that could be done. they like to be comforted more than normal. if it's small enough, try swaddling. otherwise, be ready for lots of screaming. wish there was a solution, but there's really not (other than beating people who do drugs while they're pregnant and throwing them in a river).
Janet 09:37 AM 06-23-2010
I got my dcb21months when he was 5 days old. He went home from the hospital with his foster family who later adopted him. I don't know all of the details about the birth mom but I do know that she was using while she was pregnant. He was generally healthy with the exception of having a very strong startle reflex. He responded really well to being swaddled and it really helped him to get quality sleep. Good luck!
TGT09 11:27 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
Well, I would get a doctor's advice. Here is some info on neonatal abstinence syndrome:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/...geS1338P0.html
My husband and I are currently in the adoption process and this is what we were told to do. While, it's not your main concern because I don't think you're the AP...you still want to know what's common and uncommon for a withdrawing child. I would contact at least your own child's pedi. There are many websites out there with techniques....I will get back to you with some from my adoption forum.

Back to the doctor though....there are doctors that specifically handle withdrawing infants but most pedi's will know enough for a provider to help you out.
TGT09 11:30 AM 06-23-2010
To also agree with pp's.....I've heard that drug-addicted infants definitely need to be held more, swaddled, and in specific in an infant carrier that keeps them close to your body. They also respond really well to soothing voices and music.

On another note: the parents should be doing as much skin to skin contact as they possibly can.
nannyde 11:36 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by heartsberry:
I just started caring for a six week old which is suffering from withdrawls of cocaine. Can any of you share some advise, resources, care tips on this issue? Thanks in advance!
If the baby is six weeks old it should not be having withdrawls. Cocaine is a water soluble chemical. He should be way past any detox post birth.

What is he doing that is suffering?
Former Teacher 04:37 PM 06-23-2010
It's all very sad. But it makes me angry too. There are woman out there that can get pregnant like THAT and don't care for their body (and in turn the child) and don't give a damn. When there are woman like ME who would sell their soul to have a child of their own.

Anyway the reason why I was posting...a HS friend of mine (she has since passed away), her parents take in special needs babies and children. They were/are a licensed medical facility that runs out of their home. They actually adopted a few as well. The last time I was there which was a few years ago, there was this beautiful little girl. She was 2 years old. She was in a pack and play. She had brain damage. I don't remember the extent. However the story was that the parents were very young parents (late teens early 20s, yet on their own) and the father wanted to save money on baby formula. Instead of using 2 scoopfuls of powder...he used only 1, sometimes less, just to make it last longer. No breastfeeding as the mother too had "problems" ie: smoking, drinking etc. My friends mother said that while they loved their daughter, they were just being misguided. Doctors said that the lack of the formula's nutrients caused the damage.

Come to think of it. I think I will drop them an email. It's been YEARS since I last visited them.
Unregistered 05:37 PM 06-23-2010
Thank you for those who have replied.

Nannyde- As far as I have seen thus far the baby suffers from startling sudden waking episodes during her sleep. Does a lot of sucking, has scaley skin...etc. She was in the NICU for a few weeks due to respitory issues after birth and still has slightly labored breathing from time to time.

Overall I guess I am looking at any other possible things I could do to replace the swaddling during naps since the state does not allow us to use blankets or other things in the pack and plays. Also, additional advice I could offer the adoptive Mom so she might be able to get more rest at night as the infant's sudden waking seems to happen more at night. After everyones replies and the organizations I have been in contact with today I feel more confident with the situation.
actaktmdt 03:48 AM 06-24-2010
You can use the swadeling sleeps sacks...at my orientation we were told we could use thouse just not blankets to swaddle...they are expensive like 25 but they are nice. I am in michigan as well. The other thing would be to ask the person acting as mom to get a doctors note so u can swaddle the baby to have on file...I would think based on what the ped knows he would do that.
TGT09 06:25 AM 06-24-2010
Also recommended from my board was something that puts off white noise.
nannyde 06:32 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for those who have replied.

Nannyde- As far as I have seen thus far the baby suffers from startling sudden waking episodes during her sleep. Does a lot of sucking, has scaley skin...etc. She was in the NICU for a few weeks due to respitory issues after birth and still has slightly labored breathing from time to time.

Overall I guess I am looking at any other possible things I could do to replace the swaddling during naps since the state does not allow us to use blankets or other things in the pack and plays. Also, additional advice I could offer the adoptive Mom so she might be able to get more rest at night as the infant's sudden waking seems to happen more at night. After everyones replies and the organizations I have been in contact with today I feel more confident with the situation.
I don't do blankets. I use thick infant sleep sacks with the hands covered. I have some old school ones that have the fold over hands. This really helps with the startle waking.
Tags:cocaine withdrawl, drugs
Reply Up