Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ratio + Extra Kid?
DBug 03:19 AM 06-23-2010
I have a hypothetical question (that may not be so hypothetical come the summer). For my ratios, I'm allowed to have 5 dc kids, any age, in addition to my own (I have 1 toddler, and 2 school-aged). If we were to have a 4 year old child stay over during the summer for, say, a week, would that child count as my own, or would I have to include her in my ratios? What would you do?
kimsdaycare 03:42 AM 06-23-2010
Here, that child would count until they turned 12. My kids couldn't invite friends over for years because all their friends counted in my numbers. We do have a loophole for "family", but it wasn't a guarantee than licensing wouldn't have and issue with it. Even if I had space, I'd still need paperwork. I avoided any extras ever because it just wasn't worth the stress and hassle. Wish I had a better answer for you!
boysx5 04:41 AM 06-23-2010
yes here they count as well until they are 13 which is a bit crazy and your own kids count until their six
Liliya 04:44 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I have a hypothetical question (that may not be so hypothetical come the summer). For my ratios, I'm allowed to have 5 dc kids, any age, in addition to my own (I have 1 toddler, and 2 school-aged). If we were to have a 4 year old child stay over during the summer for, say, a week, would that child count as my own, or would I have to include her in my ratios? What would you do?
But,if you have a 4 year old,you are still in your ratio.
You have 1 toddler,2 school-aged with your visitor it will make 4,or you plan to get more kids??? sorry I am confused.
In my state you would need papers for that child,application,imunization...
Just like for any child in your care.
mac60 04:48 AM 06-23-2010
It is your private family life, not getting paid for it. I wouldn't worry about it. You shouldn't have to deprive your own family. Really, if the kids cousin wants to come and stay for a few days, whos business is it anyways.
momofboys 06:11 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I don't know how many DC kids you have but really if it is only for a week I would not stress about it. In my state, children who are school age do not count in the ratios.
originalkat 10:20 AM 06-23-2010
If it was only for a week I would not worry about it either.
Childminder 11:52 AM 06-23-2010
In Mi I am licensed for 6 unrelated children. My 1/2 cousins daughters son comes every summer and does not count in my ratios.
emosks 12:10 PM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
In Mi I am licensed for 6 unrelated children. My 1/2 cousins daughters son comes every summer and does not count in my ratios.
We can have 12 kids max and our own count in our ratios. We are in MI as well. When my niece came to visit over spring break we asked our consultant and she said we didn't need the paperwork filled out but my niece still counted in our ratios for the days that she was there. We didn't want to take the chance that we could get a visit as we were just approved and knew we could have a surprise inspection at any time.
mismatchedsocks 04:35 PM 06-23-2010
I was told that my kids can have friends over, but they would have to have their parents come get them, or go home, if something happened. Sounds like they would be staying the whole week, so that wouldnt matter, but I do allow my kids to have friends over, but asked before that happened.

Is it family? Or are you just watching a daycare families child for a week? I would think that the 4 year old WOULD count in the numbers, unless there is the related law in your state as mentioned above.
Greenshadow 05:20 PM 06-23-2010
When I was licensed, the kids that were friends with my kids counted in my ratios if they fit the age guidelines for ratios. So I had to be careful how many kids were in my house at one time. I am not licensed now. If I were you, I wouldnt worry about having one over for a short time. Licensing might. But thats the risk you take.
DBug 05:24 PM 06-23-2010
It's kind of an odd situation ... we regularly take the 4 year old daughter of a friend, who is a young single mom, for weekends, usually every other weekend or so. I'm not paid for it, and it's not daycare, just a friend's child visiting for the weekend. So, she's not family, but we treat her like she is.

And yeah, I have 3 of my own kids, with 5 daycare kids most days (which is my max). I'm not licensed, so I won't have surprise visits , but by law I'm still supposed to stay in my ratio. I do let my kids have friends in for "playdates", but since my oldest two are 8 & 10, they don't really require much supervision. And, generally the friends are here for a couple hours, not the whole day.

If she WAS family, I'd be inclined to go ahead and not worry about it. But since she's not ... well, I wouldn't want to create problems if I didn't need to. Still, I'd like to be available to help out this mom when/if she needs it ... She's been dealt a very, very raw hand in life, and I try to help whenever I can.
QualiTcare 05:33 PM 06-23-2010
if you aren't licensed, i wouldn't worry about it. you won't be getting any visits. just tell your older kids if a strange person pulls in the driveway or knocks on the door....go hide in the bushes until further notice.
actaktmdt 03:38 AM 06-24-2010
Didn't read the post but in mi if the childs older than 7 then that related child does not count in the ratio. If under 7 then they do count.
Childminder 06:50 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by actaktmdt:
Didn't read the post but in mi if the childs older than 7 then that related child does not count in the ratio. If under 7 then they do count.
Yeah, he's older than seven.
DBug 09:49 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
if you aren't licensed, i wouldn't worry about it. you won't be getting any visits. just tell your older kids if a strange person pulls in the driveway or knocks on the door....go hide in the bushes until further notice.
Love it! Great idea!
Janet 11:16 AM 06-24-2010
If a licensing agent comes by and sees the extra kid, just say "What kid? I don't see an extra kid. Are you feeling OK? Would you like to lay down for a moment?" or possibly you could say "That's just a figment of your imagination. You're probably just hallucinating. You got into the magic mushrooms again, didn't you?" Maybe those ideas wouldn't work, but wouldn't it just be fun to try??? lol
DBug 11:39 AM 06-24-2010

Or how about "Oh no, did I leave the Magic Markers out again?", or "Would you like to join us for circle time today? We're practising our counting."

Janet 12:05 PM 06-24-2010
Those are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe make the licensing person count the kids but make sure the kids are running around just to mess with the licensor's count!!!
Tags:inspection, ratio
Reply Up