Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Charge During Daycare Families Maternity?
SunflowerMama 08:33 AM 05-10-2011
So I have 2 brothers and mom is pregnant and due in July. One of the boys will be heading to kinder in the fall so essentially the new baby will take his oldest brother's spot.

The thing is she has 3 months of maternity and will be keeping the older boys during that time. That's a big chunk of income so I'm wondering what others have charged in that situation. I was thinking about full rate and the kids could come as much as they wanted but have never been in this position before so wanted to see what others have done.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
MyAngels 08:44 AM 05-10-2011
I charge my full rate during maternity leaves. To me, a spot is a spot is a spot, and if they want it to be guaranteed there for them when they are going back to work, then they must pay the full rate. I've never had anyone who complained about it or requested anything else, but all of my families know that any open spot is snapped up pretty quickly.
daycare 08:49 AM 05-10-2011
i agree with myangles...

I allow for my full time to attend 2 days a week during thier extended leave, nothing for part time. I also require that they pay half their normal rate. I will only give extended leave for a max of 6 weeks. after the 6 weeks its full time pay.
DaycareMomma 08:56 AM 05-10-2011
My policy is when the baby is actually born, they get two weeks*10 days* free from me and then they pay their normal rate. They are more than welcome to bring the other kids if they want during that time.
mac60 08:56 AM 05-10-2011
I have for fulltime $40 rate and can come for 2 days per week. I recently had an inquiry from a teacher who is going to be a first time mom. She asked about Christmas break, Spring break, and summers. I told her holiday breaks they pay whether here or not, summer I will hold for $40 per week. She said she would call back, but hasn't. Needed to discuss with hubby. Yea right. Why is it those who make the nice paychecks want it but want it for nothing, like we owe them. They just don't understand that we can not have 15 kids on the roster and hope that on any given day enough show up to make a descent pay, cuz what happens when they all 15 show up....ugg can't happen. I wish people would sit back and think about what they ask us to do.
jen 09:53 AM 05-10-2011
I charge full rate...
nannyde 11:08 AM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I charge my full rate during maternity leaves. To me, a spot is a spot is a spot, and if they want it to be guaranteed there for them when they are going back to work, then they must pay the full rate.
See above
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 05-10-2011
the full rate. a spot is a spot as pp said and I am not the one having a baby. Been there;did that......paid the necessary financial responsibilities for MY situation and your expecting parent should do the same.
DaisyMamma 11:37 AM 05-10-2011
You should be charging something, if not full rate. You can't be expected to go without pay for 3 months. If they refuse to pay then you can't guarantee the spots will be available upon return. You just need to find a nice way to tell them that although you love your job it is a job and you need to be paid.
AnythingsPossible 11:48 AM 05-10-2011
I have no backbone, so I don't charge anything for extended abscenses. Not a good policy, but I have never been strong enough business wise to enforce payment while not in care.
SilverSabre25 12:24 PM 05-10-2011
Every time I've tried even charging a minimal amount to hold a spot...the family has not used me. Granted these were new clients, not existing ones, but I'm too nervous to try charging a holding fee right now. Sucks, but there's not much I can do about it.
WDW 01:10 PM 05-10-2011
I charge 1/2 my normal rate, but I cap it at 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, they would have to pay full rate. They can come as much or as little as they want, and they pay the full rate on days they come. They can use or not use their free days during this time.

It kind of depends though. Do you want the kids to come, or would you prefer they stay home? A lot of people will bring them the whole time if they are paying you anything... of course, I am one who thinks parents should value their kids more than money and want time with them...
daycare 01:15 PM 05-10-2011
sent you a PM
sharlan 01:16 PM 05-10-2011
I've always charged full price because the parents always brought the other kids. I've never had a parent keep the others at home for more than a day or two.
Tags:charges, charges - maternity, maternity
Reply Up