Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Delivery/Sub Provider?
jojosmommy 06:20 PM 06-12-2011
I searched the maternity/pregnancy postings already listed but didn't find any good answers for this so hopefully you all can help.

I am due in October and do not have a sub or assistant. I have looked and looked, interviewed, and emailed etc but no real leads on anyone I would want to leave around children I care about.

Having said that I am struggling with the idea of what to do when the time comes to deliver this child. My first was an induction which I had 30 min to prepare for however I did not do daycare and was just starting my maternity leave that day anway. Really didn't affect anyone elses schedule besides my husbands.

So, for those of you who have been pregnant while doing daycare what did you do? Planned induction, emergency provider (which in this case looks not likely), call parents and tell them to pick their kids up ASAP, cancel daycare for the day at the slightest twinge of labor???????

Did you talk to parents about what their emergency plan was in case they needed to pick up their kids asap and/or you had to cancel daycare or did you just leave them to deal with that knowing you were pregnant?

Also, did you tell them for sure how long you would be off or did you give them a ballpark and tell them you would let them know depending on when you actually delivered etc?

Thanks, the whole thing is stressing me out!
Abigail 06:44 PM 06-12-2011
I'm looking forward to some responses because I need to have a provider maternity leave section in my papers for parents still. Once you figure out what you are going to do, I would send out a newsletter (August sometime would be best, it gives them two months to find alternative care).

My boss hired me as her "temporary replacement" so I'm full time right now and she worked until the day she went into labor--which was on a late Sunday night--so I just got a text to go in early that day. LOL. She has three of us working for her so it wasn't ever an issue. She told parents more about me, even though I was part time, I would just be full time. She also posted a newsletter with her intentions to work until delivery time and that she would be stopping by and be available on the phone while she was out. She never put a specific time frame down because we're still open for everyone to attend.

For your sake, how many daycare kids do you have? Don't you have ANY emergency backup person listed with licensing or are you not licensed? I would still continue to search and talk to friends/neighbors and do a background check on them and whatever else is required. Sometimes a child care background check can take 2-3 months and here it's free so I would recommend you at least find two potential people (friend/family/neighbor) who would be available to step in when you went into delivery and then you could choose to close "that day" after everyone got picked up OR have your emergency person(s) work so you can remain open. I would personally want to close for two weeks after delivery to enjoy peace and quiet with my little one.

Whatever you do, plan ahead and have someone available even if it's just to come over for two hours while they call parents to come pick up their children while you're on your way to the hospital. Nothing like you going into early labor with half a dozen children around and you waiting on your husband to come get you. You could even ask parents of the children you care for who would be able to get there first and stay until other parents picked up in the worse case and have all other parents sign a form to "approve" of who will be a temporary fill in for an hour or two.
SilverSabre25 06:45 PM 06-12-2011
Let's see, I had planned to call parents to pick up ASAP and had my sister on board as an emergency back-up if I needed it (she lives 30 seconds away).

I also planned to call parents ASAP if I went into labor outside daycare hours...which is what I ended up doing. Kind of. I went into labor on a Tuesday evening, called off for the next day around 10 PM, and ended up not having DS until Friday afternoon. Yes, I was in labor that whole time...labor that kept stalling and stalling. I hadn't planned on that.

The parents and I all talked about their back-up plans and I knew who to call if I had to in the middle of the day. They knew that I planned to take off a full week after baby was born (I didn't think to plan for time off for actually being in labor, but everyone was understanding).

At the end of the day, you can plan and plan and think it's all perfect...and then your baby is probably going to throw you a curveball you never anticipated because that's just what babies do.
kitkat 07:07 PM 06-12-2011
I was scheduled for a repeat c-section for March 4th. DS decided he didn't want to wait that long and I had him on Feb. 22! Luckily it was a day I didn't have any kids. However, the plan for if I went into labor when dcks were here was that I would call dcm and kids needed to be picked up ASAP (30 minutes) and my parents, who were going to care for my DS and DD, would be available if I had to leave before the kids got picked up. DCM was also responsible for finding alternate care while I was on leave.
laundrymom 04:42 AM 06-13-2011
I've just called them when I left for the hosp. I was open with them. Told them if I started having contractions. Kept them updated and they came when I called. All ten families. I worked up to delivery w all 4. And took off minimal time with recovery.
Tags:assistant, maternity, pregnancy
Reply Up