Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: When you first sign on a new client do you...
Secure only a deposit 11 64.71%
Secure a deposit and first payment 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question...
Angelwings36 10:44 AM 05-02-2012
When you first sign a family on do you just secure a deposit

OR

Do you secure a deposit and their first payment?
AnneCordelia 10:55 AM 05-02-2012
I secure a deposit. The first payment is due the Friday prior to the week care starts, and every Friday thereafter.
snbauser 10:57 AM 05-02-2012
Deposit only but the first payment is due at drop off on the first day. Second and all subsequent payments are due on Friday by close of business for the following week.
Ariana 11:01 AM 05-02-2012
I don't do either. I require post dated cheques for the first 6 week integration period on their first day.
daycare 11:03 AM 05-02-2012
on their start date I require both... or should I say the friday before their start date
daycare123 11:24 AM 05-02-2012
I dont require a deposit. payment is due friday for the week. i have not had a problem doing it that way yet.
wdmmom 11:25 AM 05-02-2012
My deposit is usually equivalent to 2 to 4 weeks of wages. If the start date is more than 4 weeks away, I charge a months fee and apply half to the first two weeks and half to the last two weeks. If they start within 4 weeks, the deposit is applied to the last 2 weeks. The first payment is due the Friday before they start care. Any money paid is non refundable.
GretasLittleFriends 11:36 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by daycare123:
I dont require a deposit. payment is due friday for the week. i have not had a problem doing it that way yet.
^^What she said.
dEHmom 11:39 AM 05-02-2012
I said only deposit, unless parents are starting the next monday, then I would get deposit and payment. Sometimes because I understand it's alot at once, I will secure the payment for the following 2 weeks, plus a portion of the deposit with a signed agreement to make X amount of payments of XX dollars for the deposit.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 05-02-2012
I don't require any deposit (unless actually holding a space for an infant).

I do require payment IN ADVANCE before any services are provided.

I do charge a registration fee of $20 per child upon enrollment but that is a one time payment no matter how long you are in care.
dEHmom 11:43 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don't do either. I require post dated cheques for the first 6 week integration period on their first day.
Have you ever had issues with this?

I won't allow cheques for deposits or first payment for fees anymore. After the deposit is secured, if they bail or cancel their cheque, at least i have something.

It took 3 weeks from deposit date for a couple who placed deposit for 2 children to cancel and it bounce out of my account. 3 weeks! So if it's possible to place a cheque for deposit and 2 weeks fees, parents drop their kids off for 2 weeks, cancel both cheques before you even know, and then take off because they just needed a temp babysitter. Then you have no money and watched them for free.

My friend has run a licensed daycare for years (here in Canada) and she has gone to court several times, and showed proof of their cancelled cheques etc, and the court didn't agree with her. Said it was her problem.
My3cents 11:55 AM 05-02-2012
I require payments to be made on friday. I want to change this in my policy book to be friday mornings. That way if they forget, I can remind them that evening. My parents are good.

I don't do a deposit unless they want me to hold a spot and I can and it is non refundable. I guess that would make it a spot holding fee instead of a deposit. I do an enrollment fee.

My thinking is that most parents are paid thursday/friday here so rather then let them spend daycare money over the weekend- I get it when they have it. The parents I have now- not even a concern. I am lucky and thankful for this.
Reply Up