Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Just Perfect
lovemykidstoo 07:50 AM 01-29-2013
Just got the mail and I got called for Jury duty from June 11-June 21. Not only is my husband unemployed, I'm supposed to shut down our only source of income? Has this ever happened to anyone? How do I get out of it?
itlw8 08:14 AM 01-29-2013
You can try writing and politely explain you will have no income for any days you need to close to serve and the parents will also need to take off work risking their jobs. Some places it works some it does not

If your dh is still unemployed he could work for you

You still have time to save up the income to make it through that week or you could take vacation.

Or you call in or show up as they say and pray there are no cases that week. Explain your situation and they may dismiss you.
lovemykidstoo 08:19 AM 01-29-2013
I called and talked to the clerk and she said that there is alot of people in the same situation and that I could write a letter. I can't afford a vacation this year. My husband has been off work for 1 year and every penny that I make is going towards the mtg. There is no saving up for that week. We are living off 1/5 of our normal income and also pulling money out of my husbands retirement account to live. I pray that they let me out of it.
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 01-29-2013
Some other interesting threads about jury duty

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=jury+duty
lovemykidstoo 11:30 AM 01-29-2013
Okay, here's my letter, what do you guys think? Sorry so long!

Dear Jury Clerk,

Today I received a form to fill out for jury duty. I called and spoke to someone to see if I could be excused and was advised to write a letter explaining my reasoning.

Last March, unfortunately, the company in which my husband worked for 16 years downsized and he was let go. He continues to look for work, but hasn't returned to work yet. We are not receiving unemployment any longer so we are relying on my income to survive. I own and am licensed through the State of Michigan an in-home family daycare. I currently care for children ranging in age from 20 months to 4 years. I typically have 6 children a day. If I take the time off for jury duty, I will lose all of that income that we desperately need. Not only will it be hard on our family, I have 7 other families that don't have a backup caregiver for their chidren while they work. This would create a huge burden for us. We have 2 children and we have alot of expenses, so the money that I receive caring for children is critical for us at this time. I was called before and did go through the process. I never was assigned a case but I think it probably had something to do with the fact that I had previously worked at an office for 3 defense attorneys, so it's not that I don't want to do my civic duty, it's just that I am extremely concerned about our financial situation at this precise moment.

I thank you for reading my letter. I'm sorry that it's so long. I will await a call or a letter to see if this is possible. I truly appreciate any help you can give me with this.

Thank you.

End of letter

I am also enclosing a copy of my license. What do you think?
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Okay, here's my letter, what do you guys think? Sorry so long!

Dear Jury Clerk,

Today I received a form to fill out for jury duty. I called and spoke to someone to see if I could be excused and was advised to write a letter explaining my reasoning.

Last March, unfortunately, the company in which my husband worked for 16 years downsized and he was let go. He continues to look for work, but hasn't returned to work yet. We are not receiving unemployment any longer so we are relying on my income to survive. I own and am licensed through the State of Michigan an in-home family daycare. I currently care for children ranging in age from 20 months to 4 years. I typically have 6 children a day. If I take the time off for jury duty, I will lose all of that income that we desperately need. Not only will it be hard on our family, I have 7 other families that don't have a backup caregiver for their chidren while they work. This would create a huge burden for us. We have 2 children and we have alot of expenses, so the money that I receive caring for children is critical for us at this time. I was called before and did go through the process. I never was assigned a case but I think it probably had something to do with the fact that I had previously worked at an office for 3 defense attorneys, so it's not that I don't want to do my civic duty, it's just that I am extremely concerned about our financial situation at this precise moment.

I thank you for reading my letter. I'm sorry that it's so long. I will await a call or a letter to see if this is possible. I truly appreciate any help you can give me with this.

Thank you.

End of letter

I am also enclosing a copy of my license. What do you think?
Personally, I would skip mentioning that your DH is unemployed as the courts may look at it like he can be your substitute then if he is not working....kwim?

I would go with the line of thinking that you are a child care provider and not only you but ALL of your families cannot afford financially to have you serve jury duty since there is no guaranteed begin or end date for your services.

You would in an essence be leaving ALL your families without care so unless they want you to tote 10 kids under age 5 to court with you, you are going to have to be excused.
lovemykidstoo 08:59 AM 02-13-2013
Well guys, got the notice from the court today. I was EXCUSED!!!! woohoo!! I was jumping in the air So excited! I actually thumb tacked it to my daycare board!!!
Blackcat31 09:07 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Well guys, got the notice from the court today. I was EXCUSED!!!! woohoo!! I was jumping in the air So excited! I actually thumb tacked it to my daycare board!!!
Yah!!! I am happy for you!

My DD just sat in court for almost 2 hours waiting to see if she was going to be choosen as a juror. When it was her turn the judge asked for her correct address. She has moved since she got notice.

Come to find out her new apt is in another county so she was excused. She is elated!

LOVE when this kind of things works out for people!
lovemykidstoo 09:23 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yah!!! I am happy for you!

My DD just sat in court for almost 2 hours waiting to see if she was going to be choosen as a juror. When it was her turn the judge asked for her correct address. She has moved since she got notice.

Come to find out her new apt is in another county so she was excused. She is elated!

LOVE when this kind of things works out for people!
That's awesome!!!

I was so scared when I got the envelope today. I just knew it couldn't go in my favor. Was so excited!
juliebug 10:45 AM 02-13-2013
yeah glad your were excused! that is wonderful!!
LK5kids 11:23 AM 02-14-2013
I had this happen after I was divorced and still doing child care in my home. I think there was a section to fill in if it would be a hardship. I did and they replaced me, no problem.
lovemykidstoo 01:25 PM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I had this happen after I was divorced and still doing child care in my home. I think there was a section to fill in if it would be a hardship. I did and they replaced me, no problem.
That's how I did it. I checked the hardship box and then had to write a letter.
Tags:jury duty
Reply Up