Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dad Wants To Pick Baby Up, Then Bring Her Back
Dsquared 07:05 AM 01-18-2014
I had an interview with potential parents on thursday night. I really need to fill this spot due to financial problems. The mom of the baby called tonight and said she wants to start in one week. I am not to thrilled with her pick up time because it will be past my close time which is 5:00. It takes her 15-20 min to get to me from her job. The other issue is the dad mentioned he had Thursdays off and that he would be picking up the child around noon, before I could get to excited he said, and then I will bring her back. i really do not like the idea of having to deal with this every thursday. I feel like it will be disruptive to her schedule and mine. I mean if you have the day off pickup your child early and keep her with you. She is 5 months old. How do I tell the parents that I do not like the idea of that occurring? Any advice would be really helpful!!
KidGrind 07:09 AM 01-18-2014
I have a one drop off per day per child policy.

When asked why, less disruption for program.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by Dsquared:
I had an interview with potential parents on thursday night. I really need to fill this spot due to financial problems. The mom of the baby called tonight and said she wants to start in one week. I am not to thrilled with her pick up time because it will be past my close time which is 5:00. It takes her 15-20 min to get to me from her job. The other issue is the dad mentioned he had Thursdays off and that he would be picking up the child around noon, before I could get to excited he said, and then I will bring her back. i really do not like the idea of having to deal with this every thursday. I feel like it will be disruptive to her schedule and mine. I mean if you have the day off pickup your child early and keep her with you. She is 5 months old. How do I tell the parents that I do not like the idea of that occurring? Any advice would be really helpful!!
Why cant dad pick up everyday? Does he work later than mom?

Personally that is one of the things I will NOT budge on. My closing time is not negotiable. Ever.

I also would not allow a child to be picked up and then returned the same day. Way too disruptive to everyone else. Could you imagine every family in care doing that for one reason or another?

No way.... Way too much chaos!
Unregistered 08:16 AM 01-18-2014
You mentioned financial reasons, I'd take the baby and just close a little later if possible FOR HER ONLY. The dad, I'd say "Once you pick up on Thursday, you have to keep the child as it is very disruptive to the other children" and if he is off, I cannot see WHY he needs to bring her back! So dumb. If he won't agree, I'd charge him for whatever you normally charge for full day and explain that he'll have to pick up at the normal time. Never EVER feel too desperate for money to the point you compromise the whole group for one person. I guarantee he isn't thinking about you one bit, and in fact, probably smells the fact you need kids and is trying to take advantage
Evansmom 10:26 AM 01-18-2014
Speaking from experience (bc it took me a while to grow a backbone) if it were me and I compromised my close time for one family I would end up resenting it after a few weeks.

I understand you need the money, I've been in the same boat, but before you agree I'd really really think about what it will mean to you in the long run. Or will you end up hiring a client where you'd have to term soon? (I hate confrontation so I try to hire only clients who I think will be a good fit for very long term.

As for DCD picking up mid day and then returning? I'd say no way. Too disruptive to the group and the child. Can you imagine how the child would be upset by thinking they are going home and then getting dropped back off?
nannyde 10:42 AM 01-18-2014
One arrival- one departure -per parent- per child- per day.
Laurel 05:42 PM 01-18-2014
If I really needed the money I'd close a little later but charge an extra weekly fee for that time. I do that now with one family. If they need to pick up a half hour later every day then it will be X dollars more per week.

I wouldn't do the pick up and then bring them back though. I would tell them it is too disruptive. If you want to, give them examples. "I like to take the children on walks and sometimes they are not planned. It they get antsy it calms them down and sometimes I just go on the spur of the moment." That is really the case with me. I don't want to be waiting around for a parent who says they will re-drop off at a certain time and is then late. The whole group would have to wait.

Laurel
Annalee 05:48 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
If I really needed the money I'd close a little later but charge an extra weekly fee for that time. I do that now with one family. If they need to pick up a half hour later every day then it will be X dollars more per week.

Laurel
I have learned through the years to be non-negotiable with pickup time. If I have a parent express that the pick up time doesn't work and should be later I tell them I appreciate their time but I close at 4:30. The majority of the time, they will enroll and have the child picked up on time. If they want to be a part of my program, parents make it work. I have 3 parents right now that work 7AM to 7PM but, you know what, grandma or dad is there by 4:30. I only give 9 1/2 hours a day, not to exceed 4:30. I have parents that would use every extra moment I would give them so I have to create my own boundaries for my own sanity.
MotherNature 04:53 AM 01-19-2014
He's off but wants to bring the kid back? Nuh-uh. No freaking way. Especially with a new kid that's not used to you, that crap is just going to cause problems. I could see doing 2 drop-offs if the kid has a dentist appt or something at 9 or 10 and the parent brings them back for the rest of the day, but not as a regular occurrence.
Unregistered 06:07 AM 01-19-2014
umm if he is off for the day and wants to spend some extra time with her, why does he not just pick her up a few hours early. No back and forth for the baby. He gets extra time with her. Plus you don't end up working later than your normal closing time that day, especially no reason for it when there is a parent home.
Laurel 06:11 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I have learned through the years to be non-negotiable with pickup time. If I have a parent express that the pick up time doesn't work and should be later I tell them I appreciate their time but I close at 4:30. The majority of the time, they will enroll and have the child picked up on time. If they want to be a part of my program, parents make it work. I have 3 parents right now that work 7AM to 7PM but, you know what, grandma or dad is there by 4:30. I only give 9 1/2 hours a day, not to exceed 4:30. I have parents that would use every extra moment I would give them so I have to create my own boundaries for my own sanity.
Yep, I am retiring this year and I would have done a lot of things differently. It also depends on the economy in any given area. If you only get a call every few weeks or once a month sometimes you have to do what you have to do. KWIM?

My inspector told me the number of home daycare's on her roster went down by half. Those of us that are left can't always have exactly what we would would wish because we would be out of business. Just reality sometimes. My provider friend was like that. She wouldn't compromise on some things until she HAD to to survive.

Laurel
lovemykidstoo 07:33 AM 01-19-2014
Why does the dad need to pick up the baby and then bring her back? How long would he have her during that gap?
Play Care 07:42 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Yep, I am retiring this year and I would have done a lot of things differently. It also depends on the economy in any given area. If you only get a call every few weeks or once a month sometimes you have to do what you have to do. KWIM?

My inspector told me the number of home daycare's on her roster went down by half. Those of us that are left can't always have exactly what we would would wish because we would be out of business. Just reality sometimes. My provider friend was like that. She wouldn't compromise on some things until she HAD to to survive.

Laurel
I always worry about overplaying my hand. I had an interview yesterday and I had decided to raise my rates for all incoming clients. I'm kind of nervous about it and hoping I don't lose out on potential clients.
Laurel 12:04 PM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I always worry about overplaying my hand. I had an interview yesterday and I had decided to raise my rates for all incoming clients. I'm kind of nervous about it and hoping I don't lose out on potential clients.
I know. That is the way this business is. I've already taken part time families and given them a part time rate while my friend charges the same rate as her 5 day rate. I figured I'd rather have some money than none. For a while I was ahead money wise doing that and she was getting nothing. But now, she found a family that would pay for 5 days and only come 3 so she is ahead. My 3 day one pays for 3 days. Sometimes ya win and sometime ya lose.

Laurel
Dsquared 05:08 AM 01-22-2014
Thanks everyone for the advice. We have been talking back and forth. I sent her my contract with everything in it regarding pick up times and only one pick up per day. I will see how it goes. I hope it works out. Thanks again!
lovemykidstoo 07:23 AM 01-22-2014
Did she ever say why dad had to pick up and drop off so many times in one day?
Dsquared 08:16 AM 01-22-2014
He wants to pick her up to go see her mom at work during her lunch break.
lovemykidstoo 08:21 AM 01-22-2014
Oh brother.
KidGrind 08:24 AM 01-22-2014
My reply, “That’s great family time. Afterwards, it can be Daddy/Daughter time. I have a one drop off per day per child policy."
Dsquared 08:44 AM 01-22-2014
Yes, thats a good response!
lovemykidstoo 08:51 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
My reply, “That’s great family time. Afterwards, it can be Daddy/Daughter time. I have a one drop off per day per child policy."
Exactly!
Reply Up