Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strange New Family
lovemykidstoo 01:54 PM 03-12-2014
I wrote on here before about a new family that I have where I have never met the dad and he sat in the car the one time and never came in. Thought that was weird. Well mom has "panic" attacks so the dcg's time depends on when those attacks are. Mom called me today and told me that they would be later because she had an attack and she took medicine and would be there soon. She came at 11:00 and then she picked up about 1/2 hr early. The dcg was still laying down. I went and got her and she put on her coat and shoes and then the dcg started whining because she was hungry. The mom just stood there like I was going to go to the cupboard and give her a snack to go. I don't do snacks to go for many reasons. I had 5 other kids standing there watching for 1, number 2, they live 2 miles away. Mom said 1 time that we'll eat when we get home, but they continued to stand there. I finally said that I didn't have stuff out for snacktime yet and mom said she would give you something at home. Can you only imagine the continued chaos if I would have gotten her a snack to go? I would have been doing that every time whether she already had snack or not.
Blackcat31 02:24 PM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I wrote on here before about a new family that I have where I have never met the dad and he sat in the car the one time and never came in. Thought that was weird. Well mom has "panic" attacks so the dcg's time depends on when those attacks are. Mom called me today and told me that they would be later because she had an attack and she took medicine and would be there soon. She came at 11:00 and then she picked up about 1/2 hr early. The dcg was still laying down. I went and got her and she put on her coat and shoes and then the dcg started whining because she was hungry. The mom just stood there like I was going to go to the cupboard and give her a snack to go. I don't do snacks to go for many reasons. I had 5 other kids standing there watching for 1, number 2, they live 2 miles away. Mom said 1 time that we'll eat when we get home, but they continued to stand there. I finally said that I didn't have stuff out for snacktime yet and mom said she would give you something at home. Can you only imagine the continued chaos if I would have gotten her a snack to go? I would have been doing that every time whether she already had snack or not.
Yeah, I don't allow food to be brought in and I won't send food home.

ALL food is eaten AT the table and AT snack or meal time only.

If a parent arrives for pick up before snack time, the child does not get snack.

If a parent arrives after a meal or snack time, the child misses snack/meal time.

It is NOT a hard concept to grasp.

Unless of course, you are one of those families that don't have any sort of meal schedule and simply allows their child to graze all day.

NOT gonna happen here.
gracepatiencelove 02:57 PM 03-12-2014
Eek, that is so awkward. Once I had these kids that stayed super late. I serve PM snack at 730. They were all horrible eaters and starting begging and crying (seriously, SAer sobbing) for food RIGHT BEFORE MOM SHOWS UP. So I gave them crackers and milk in the hallway because it was late and I was so mad I just wanted them to be quiet, everyone else was asleep. Worst decision ever. Start it once, they will demand it again.

Now, I jsut say, "Sorry, food stays at the table only! But mom can feed you when you get home!"

I guess I might be passive aggressive, but directing the comment at the child makes it less awkward and the parent doesn't feel offended with an outright, "no!" but the point is still taken. At least IME.
lovemykidstoo 10:59 AM 03-13-2014
That's the problem. You do it once and you're screwed.

Same dcg came today with a package of gummy snacks. The other 5 kids met her at the door and they looked like wild animals in a cage staring at a piece of raw meet. I said, you now, you bring something and they're all gonna want it. She took one step in and they were on her. You should have seen her eyes. I said, well if you bring it, you have to share. Might want to leave it in the car. By the look on her face, she will never bring anything again. It was actually pretty funny!
melilley 11:12 AM 03-13-2014

Same dcg came today with a package of gummy snacks. The other 5 kids met her at the door and they looked like wild animals in a cage staring at a piece of raw meet. I said, you now, you bring something and they're all gonna want it. She took one step in and they were on her. You should have seen her eyes. I said, well if you bring it, you have to share. Might want to leave it in the car. By the look on her face, she will never bring anything again. It was actually pretty funny!
Ok, I have to laugh at this!
daycarediva 11:20 AM 03-13-2014

Something similar happened today. Dcb came in with a piece of gum in his hand. Dcm asked if he could have it and dcg piped up "Does he have one for ME AND OTHERDCB, TOO!?" I looked at dcm and she shook her head no, and then I asked dcb to give the gum back to Mom.

LOVE KIDS!!!
lovemykidstoo 11:43 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Ok, I have to laugh at this!
Isn't it funny? They were like kids that have never seen a fruit snack before. They stood in a group staring at her. Mom said nothing! Was so dang funny. I can bet my life that won't happen again bwahaha
Tags:awkward parent, snack times, snacks to go
Reply Up