Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Burnt Out... Can I Make It Another Year?
Unregistered 11:48 AM 10-21-2014
I'm registered, but logged out for privacy. I need to vent a little, and this is the best option I have

I'm feeling SO burnt out lately on kids and childcare. I feel dumb complaining to anyone as I have great families and pretty good daycare kids. My youngest is in preschool, entering Kinder next fall. Financially the best situation is me to continue childcare until my youngest is in Kinder due to our own childcare fees, etc. But I miss adults. I am tired of childcare and everything it entails. I find myself being shorter/stricter with the kids when it comes to fights and following rules, exhausted in the evenings (and hardly want to find a hobby or adults other than DH when I am so exhausted) and just wanting out.

Sigh.
preschoolteacher 12:02 PM 10-21-2014
It is SO draining. We are not like working moms, who interact professionally with other adults and get out of the house. We are not like stay-at-home moms, who only have their own kids to handle and can get out of the house, run errands with their kids, chat with other moms, schedule play times, and so on. Honestly, I think it's the hardest parts of both options.

Can you cut back on the number of kids you have for the next year?

Can you simplify your schedule?

Can you rearrange some furniture (a fresh look helps a lot).

Cut back on hours/days?

One year CAN go by fast. Can you find things to get excited about for fall? And then find things to get excited about for winter. Then spring. Then summer. Then BOOM! You're at the 1 year mark. I'd just think a head only a little bit at a time, no more than 3 months.
Unregistered 12:24 PM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
It is SO draining. We are not like working moms, who interact professionally with other adults and get out of the house. We are not like stay-at-home moms, who only have their own kids to handle and can get out of the house, run errands with their kids, chat with other moms, schedule play times, and so on. Honestly, I think it's the hardest parts of both options.

Can you cut back on the number of kids you have for the next year?

Can you simplify your schedule?

Can you rearrange some furniture (a fresh look helps a lot).

Cut back on hours/days?

One year CAN go by fast. Can you find things to get excited about for fall? And then find things to get excited about for winter. Then spring. Then summer. Then BOOM! You're at the 1 year mark. I'd just think a head only a little bit at a time, no more than 3 months.
Very helpful! I like the idea of only thinking ahead a little at a time - that should help? Except maybe winter where we are stuck inside, but I am letting the two older part time kids go in December for a full time infant sibling coming in February. I do feel bad taking an infant from Feb-May (teacher family) and giving notice in May to them I will be closing in August...but the DCM will save $300 a week with me over local centers and will have a hard time placing a newborn and 18m old in the same in home around here... placing an 8m old and a 2.5 year old should be easier...

I have rearranged the furniture A LOT lately...heck even starting rearranging non-daycare areas looking for that needed fresh look. No luck...

Not sure how to simplify the schedule other than to stop transporting my DD to preschool on Mon & Fri - I am going to ask at her conferences in November about whether there is a private bus that transports preschoolers for a fee since the regular buses won't transport preschool kids. But I am not sure if we are on that bus route, etc. That is definitely a dreaded event (transporting and putting ALL the kiddos in the van) but the preschool was a change I made as my DD and the two older kiddos (who are a year younger than DD) were constantly bickering ALL.DAY.LONG. Preschool has definitely helped give me a break.

In April I cut hours to 7-5 from 630-530. I can't cut much more without losing families and the income they bring...

Great ideas - I sincerely appreciate it *hug*
SignMeUp 12:33 PM 10-21-2014
If you have it in your policies, could you take a few long weekends, spaced out over the year? Maybe when your own child/children have school vacations?
You can do a weekend trip, or just from-home day trips in your own area, with your own family I loved the freedom of doing things when mine was young, without the whole group to handle.
We went to a children's theater, museums, river boat rides, as well as took short train trips or went to a cabin on a lake for the weekend.

I hope it gets better I have gone through this many times myself, over the years I love what I do, but I don't always love how other fingers get put into what I do

Any chance your little one could carpool, if you know any of the other parents? You could pay something for gas instead of taking turns, maybe.
Josiegirl 04:13 PM 10-21-2014
I can relate to a lot of what you said. I've gone through many times of feeling very burned out. I'm kind of going through one now. It's exhausting, some days I feel like I've got nothing left in me to do this another day. My temper is short. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, there basically is just one child causing these feelings. When she isn't here, life is good.

Is there some other change you could make to your daycare that might help? I know you've changed your room around, cut back your hours a bit. Do you belong to a support group for providers? Are there any fun classes locally you could sign up for, whether daycare related or not? Have coffee with a friend and use her as a sounding board; make sure you return the favor. Sometimes it just helps to unload on someone or brainstorm with local provider friends.

Do something for just you. Join a group that you're interested in. Check out to see if there are any meetup groups in your area. Set aside a few of your hard-earned dollars every week and save for something special, for you.

I just reread your post where you're too tired at night to talk or be with anyone other than dh. Take advantage of your weekends. My nights consist of taking my dogs outside, being on the computer and reading. It's stress-free and quiet, 2 things that help me unwind from today and prepare for tomorrow.

Good luck and hope these feelings pass soon to get your through the next year.
Shell 05:06 PM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm registered, but logged out for privacy. I need to vent a little, and this is the best option I have

I'm feeling SO burnt out lately on kids and childcare. I feel dumb complaining to anyone as I have great families and pretty good daycare kids. My youngest is in preschool, entering Kinder next fall. Financially the best situation is me to continue childcare until my youngest is in Kinder due to our own childcare fees, etc. But I miss adults. I am tired of childcare and everything it entails. I find myself being shorter/stricter with the kids when it comes to fights and following rules, exhausted in the evenings (and hardly want to find a hobby or adults other than DH when I am so exhausted) and just wanting out.

Sigh.
Are we the same person?! I could have written this myself. There are days when I am so done, and days where I can't see doing anything else. Pm me if you ever want to talk!
Tags:burnt out
Reply Up