Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Temp Charts For Playing Outside?
Willow 08:41 AM 01-03-2013
I thought I've seen one here before.....does anyone have recommendations in the form of a link or printouts I can add to my parent handbook?

I have one family that has been asking everyday if we've been outside, then mom seems discouraged when I say heck no! Today, at nearly 11am, we are at 4 degrees F. That's pretty much been the trend the last several weeks. When they get here in the morning it's easily below zero and throughout the day it's rarely been over 10.

Am I crazy to think that's ridiculous for toddlers to be playing outside in? Especially ones with rosy cheeks and junky coughs lately?

What are your individual limits for high and low temps and corresponding ages?
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 01-03-2013
Does this help?

https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Willow 08:49 AM 01-03-2013
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!!!
daycare 08:58 AM 01-03-2013
wow.....a DCM and I were complaining that it was 33 outside this morning and we had ice on our grass and windows of our cars....

I have parents who are currently complaining that it's too cold to play outside...

I hate it when it's this cold out too, but sorry, we are going outside.......lol
lovemykidstoo 09:23 AM 01-03-2013
This is a great chart. I'm going to be making copies of that.
Willow 09:46 AM 01-03-2013
See it's supposed to hit high 20's tomorrow, and that I'm completely on board with, but when it's **4**?!!!! That's not even considering the windchill.

If there is a risk of heat stroke or losing body parts to frostbite that's where I draw the line!
VTMom 09:46 AM 01-03-2013
I believe the cut-off for us, as recommended by our state regulators, is 15' with wind-chill. This morning at opening it was -18', so needless to say, we're huddled inside today! Nice thing about extreme lows is it makes the teens feel warm (kind of )!
daycarediva 10:00 AM 01-03-2013
My PERSONAL cut off is 20* (wind chill is always a factor). It is a toasty 18* outside, not including wind chill. The ONLY parent who got upset about this is also the one who brings those thin cotton gloves for her daughter.

I will be printing the chart and putting it on the bulletin board, thanks BC!
LK5kids 11:24 AM 01-03-2013
My state requires outside time for 2yrs and up if it is above zero! We are a northern state, but come on. If you have kids under 2 yrs. it's 20 degrees or warmer.
I vote for at least 30 degrees.

And yes I can avoid going out in 1 degree weather because I always have a toddler under age two....thank goodness
I am an outdoor kind of person. We get out two/three times a day during spring, summer, fall. But 1 or 2 degrees? No thanks!

It does help if the sun is out even if it's 20 degrees. It doesn't say how long we need to be outside, so a walk around the block works for me!
Sunchimes 02:00 PM 01-03-2013
I think a lot depends on what you are use to in your area. I would never take a child out when it was 32º. That's very, very cold for our area. But, I would take them out when it was 97º. That's standard for us, and we are use to it. If it's sunny, I take them out when it is 40º and the wind is calm, and no one is sick. We don't stay out long though.
Michael 02:06 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Does this help?

https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Here is the link to the larger image if you are going to print:

https://www.daycare.com/news/images/temps.gif
MarinaVanessa 02:18 PM 01-03-2013
Oh jeez, I feel so pampered. I live in southern CA and I am miserable when it get's into the 40's
Michael 02:20 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Oh jeez, I feel so pampered. I live in southern CA and I am miserable when it get's into the 40's
I bet this wind today is not so nice. We are getting hit pretty hard the last couple days. I have an open backyard view with no wind resistance.
littlemissmuffet 02:21 PM 01-03-2013
Where I live the usual cut off is -20c/-4f with windchill. For schools it is -27c/-17f.
Blackcat31 02:43 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I know... Two years ago we were in Pamona and DH and I were leaving our hotel when we got to the lobby and thought..."Wow, it is so warm here...we should probably change and put shorts on." We went back up to the room and changed into shorts and T's.

Later in the day, I noticed everyone around us was wearing long pants, sleeves and a few even had jackets with knit hats on. I am sure we looked like tourists! I mean it was February and it was only 45 degrees outside.

We also went to down to Newport Beach that same weekend and waded in the water a bit and took some pictures and brought a picnic lunch. When we got our blanket out of the car and started to spread it out on the beach a lady came over from one of the houses and asked if we were lost.

On a side note, DH and I tried out some snow shoes this weekend. It was nice and sunny out and a crisp -12F LOL!!
MarinaVanessa 03:27 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
I bet this wind today is not so nice. We are getting hit pretty hard the last couple days. I have an open backyard view with no wind resistance.
Yikes!! I'm in a condo so we don't have a big yard. What little we do have is surrounded by an 8ft fence and my DH installed a canopy that pretty much covers the entire outside area. It's not so windy back there because the fence and canopy but it's still cold. Brrrr

BC:
Isn't that great?! We southern CAns are NOT made for weather colder than 60 degrees
Sugar Magnolia 04:36 PM 01-03-2013
Just a side note......80 degrees here today. Our grueling 2 weeks of winter are over I guess.
Michael 04:37 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Just a side note......80 degrees here today. Our grueling 2 weeks of winter are over I guess.
I need to get back to Florida! 61 degrees here today.
SquirrellyMama 04:53 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
If it's sunny, I take them out when it is 40º and the wind is calm, and no one is sick. We don't stay out long though.
I find that I take the kids out more when they are sick (colds, low fevers) because I've found that my kids sleep so much better when they are sick after getting fresh air (even cold fresh air). They breathed easier and didn't need cold meds as much.

I agree with you that it is where you live and are used to. At 97 degrees we'd be in the air conditioned house or the pool. At 40 degrees we'd be out without coats right now

K
Sugar Magnolia 08:21 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
I need to get back to Florida! 61 degrees here today.

Tags:temperature
Reply Up